linking regions and hypergrid

12

linking regions and hypergrid

Ken Grunke
Is the link-region command from the console in a standalone necessary to
hypergrid from the SA to, say, a region in OSGrid for example?

And is the link-region command needed the other way? From the grid
region to the standalone, that is, to be able to hypergrid back to the SA?

Ken Grunke aka Key Gruin

Re: linking regions and hypergrid

Karen_Palen
Probably the best way to answer your questions is to install the diva distibution and try out the hypergrid option!

From the wiki:
Diva Distribution

    * Preconfigured hypergrided standalone. Easy to setup and to keep up to date. Windows and Linux/Unix. Download the file diva-rNNNN.zip, unzip it, read README.txt and take it from there.

http://github.com/diva/diva-distribution/downloads

I found it very easy to install with complete and explicit instructions in README files. The READMEs direct you to the wiki and other places where fairly complete instructions for using the hypergird can be found.

WARNING: Opensim is "alpha" software, Hypergid is "pre-alpha" and all kinds of thing work or don't work for no apparent reason. In particular hypergrid availability depends on who has their grid turn on when you try to connect - this varies hourly!

For all of that hypergrid is a lot of fun to experiment with, and the diva distribution is stable enough to do development and content creation provided you keep good backups!

I do a backupPC backup every night PLUS a complete dump of my MySQL database every night! I was bitten once with database corruption and do NOT intend to lose my work again!

Good Luck and have fun!

Karen

> hypergrid from the SA to, say, a region in OSGrid for
> example?
>
> And is the link-region command needed the other way? From
> the grid
> region to the standalone, that is, to be able to hypergrid
> back to the SA?
>
> Ken Grunke aka Key Gruin

Re: linking regions and hypergrid

Kevin Buckley
Karen

I had a quick look at the diva hypergrid distribution.  I'm interested
because ultimately I think hypergrid is the way to go and also, right now,
I'm fed up with the grey avatar/white eyes syndrome and maybe doing
something different might fix it (hahaha).

I have a question though: what does 'configure.exe' actually do?

I'm already running a standalone with multi-regions, using MySQL, which a
few of us are using and doing some building and asset generation.

I can't use Port-9000 because it's used for something else on my server.  So
I use Ports 91xx for a 'Production Grid' and, if I want to test something, I
snapshot the /bin directory and the MySQL schema and run an identical
version on Ports 92xx.  If that works, then I migrate the changes to the
Production Grid.  And I do an automated back-up of EVERYTHING! Every day,
lol.

I don't want to try playing with the diva release and find 'configure.com'
trashes my existing setup or MySQL database.

Thanks, Kevin

Probably the best way to answer your questions is to install the diva
distibution and try out the hypergrid option!

From the wiki:
Diva Distribution

    * Preconfigured hypergrided standalone. Easy to setup and to keep up to
date. Windows and Linux/Unix. Download the file diva-rNNNN.zip, unzip it,
read README.txt and take it from there.

http://github.com/diva/diva-distribution/downloads

I found it very easy to install with complete and explicit instructions in
README files. The READMEs direct you to the wiki and other places where
fairly complete instructions for using the hypergird can be found.

WARNING: Opensim is "alpha" software, Hypergid is "pre-alpha" and all kinds
of thing work or don't work for no apparent reason. In particular hypergrid
availability depends on who has their grid turn on when you try to connect -
this varies hourly!

For all of that hypergrid is a lot of fun to experiment with, and the diva
distribution is stable enough to do development and content creation
provided you keep good backups!

I do a backupPC backup every night PLUS a complete dump of my MySQL database
every night! I was bitten once with database corruption and do NOT intend to
lose my work again!

Good Luck and have fun!

Karen

> hypergrid from the SA to, say, a region in OSGrid for
> example?
>
> And is the link-region command needed the other way? From
> the grid
> region to the standalone, that is, to be able to hypergrid
> back to the SA?
>
> Ken Grunke aka Key Gruin

Re: linking regions and hypergrid

Diva Canto
Configure.exe simply produces the configuration files:
config-include/MyWorld.ini
Regions/RegionConfig.ini
You can edit those file afterwards and change whatever you want there.
 From what you say below, you seem to have enough experience with
OpenSim to fiddle with those files manually. (In general I don't
recommend it, but if you know what you're doing that's fine)

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> Karen
>
> I had a quick look at the diva hypergrid distribution.  I'm interested
> because ultimately I think hypergrid is the way to go and also, right now,
> I'm fed up with the grey avatar/white eyes syndrome and maybe doing
> something different might fix it (hahaha).
>
> I have a question though: what does 'configure.exe' actually do?
>
> I'm already running a standalone with multi-regions, using MySQL, which a
> few of us are using and doing some building and asset generation.
>
> I can't use Port-9000 because it's used for something else on my server.  So
> I use Ports 91xx for a 'Production Grid' and, if I want to test something, I
> snapshot the /bin directory and the MySQL schema and run an identical
> version on Ports 92xx.  If that works, then I migrate the changes to the
> Production Grid.  And I do an automated back-up of EVERYTHING! Every day,
> lol.
>
> I don't want to try playing with the diva release and find 'configure.com'
> trashes my existing setup or MySQL database.
>
> Thanks, Kevin

So - if I want to test this by running separate, hyperlinked, standalone grids on a single server:

O I guess I need to give each instance its own Port base: 900x, 901x, 902x etc.?

O I guess each instance needs a separate MySQL schema: opensim1, opensim2, opensim3 etc.?

Thanks, Kevin

Configure.exe simply produces the configuration files:

config-include/MyWorld.ini

Regions/RegionConfig.ini

You can edit those file afterwards and change whatever you want there.

 From what you say below, you seem to have enough experience with

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> Karen

> I had a quick look at the diva hypergrid distribution.  I'm interested

> because ultimately I think hypergrid is the way to go and also, right now,

> I'm fed up with the grey avatar/white eyes syndrome and maybe doing

> something different might fix it (hahaha).

> I have a question though: what does 'configure.exe' actually do?

> I'm already running a standalone with multi-regions, using MySQL, which a

> few of us are using and doing some building and asset generation.

> I can't use Port-9000 because it's used for something else on my server.  So

> I use Ports 91xx for a 'Production Grid' and, if I want to test something, I

> snapshot the /bin directory and the MySQL schema and run an identical

> version on Ports 92xx.  If that works, then I migrate the changes to the

> Production Grid.  And I do an automated back-up of EVERYTHING! Every day,

> lol.

> I don't want to try playing with the diva release and find 'configure.com'

> trashes my existing setup or MySQL database.

> Thanks, Kevin

[Warning: this is advanced material for the diva distro.]

If you're running several instances on the same machine you need to give
each one different ports. That includes the HTTP port (set in
MyWorld.ini) and the regions' UDP ports (set in RegionConfig.ini).

You then have the option of sharing one DB schema among all instances or
having a separate DB schema for each instance -- again, that is set in
MyWorld.ini of each instance.

If you separate the DBs, you will have straightfoward hypergrided sims
-- for going back & forth between them you have to hyperlink them, etc.
just as you hyperlink with any other HG region out there.

If you share one DB you end up with a hybrid architecture that may be
very convenient -- a serverless grid. In a serverless grid, all
instances share the same DB directly. So, for example, all instances
will be on the same map, etc.
Here's a post I wrote about it a month ago:
http://www.metaverseink.com/blog/?p=22

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> So - if I want to test this by running separate, hyperlinked, standalone
> grids on a single server:
>

> O I guess I need to give each instance its own Port base: 900x, 901x,
> 902x etc.?
>
> O I guess each instance needs a separate MySQL schema: opensim1,
> opensim2, opensim3 etc.?
>

> Thanks, Kevin

Thanks - I worked that out and now have 2 instances running on my server on
ports 901x and 902x and using 2 separate MySQL schemas.

I have created some (different) users in each instance and I can log into
each instance separately, no problem.

However, when I try to 'link-regions' I get a 'region is too far' error.

The regions (just what was in the diva release) are at 5773,398 and
6282,7391.

I seem to remember reading a while back that linked regions needed to be
within a certain distance from each other (this was/is a bug) - is this the
problem I am seeing?

Cheers, Kevin

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> So - if I want to test this by running separate, hyperlinked, standalone
> grids on a single server:
>

> O I guess I need to give each instance its own Port base: 900x, 901x,
> 902x etc.?
>
> O I guess each instance needs a separate MySQL schema: opensim1,
> opensim2, opensim3 etc.?
>

> Thanks, Kevin

Yes, that would be exactly that problem: 7391-398 > 4096.
You'll have to move them closer.

I guess I could generate those numbers in a smaller range too.
I'll do that next time.

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> Thanks - I worked that out and now have 2 instances running on my server on
> ports 901x and 902x and using 2 separate MySQL schemas.
>
> I have created some (different) users in each instance and I can log into
> each instance separately, no problem.
>
> However, when I try to 'link-regions' I get a 'region is too far' error.
>
> The regions (just what was in the diva release) are at 5773,398 and
> 6282,7391.
>
> I seem to remember reading a while back that linked regions needed to be
> within a certain distance from each other (this was/is a bug) - is this the
> problem I am seeing?
>
> Cheers, Kevin

I defer to Diva - she knows what she has done far better than I ever will! :-)

FWIW her object is to provide a "kick start" that lets you see what a working grid looks like. That seems like a trivial step, but until you have something that works you really have no idea what is going on!

Once you have something going (even a "hello world") you can make small changes towards what you want and fix things as they break.

My solution to your conflict problem? A virtual machine - VMware, VirtualBox, whatever - that way WHEN (not if) you screw things up you just reset the VM and start over. It is not totally hassle free, but sure much better than trying to figure out a database corruption issue that went on for several weeks before you noticed it!

I could tell you tales ... As could anyone who has been doing this for very long!

JESUS SAVES - early and often AND SO SHOULD YOU!

(Actually I notice that you are, but it never hurts to remind the lurkers!)

Karen

> I had a quick look at the diva hypergrid
> distribution.  I'm interested
> because ultimately I think hypergrid is the way to go and
> also, right now,
> I'm fed up with the grey avatar/white eyes syndrome and
> maybe doing
> something different might fix it (hahaha).
>
> I have a question though: what does 'configure.exe'
> actually do?
>
> I'm already running a standalone with multi-regions, using
> MySQL, which a
> few of us are using and doing some building and asset
> generation.
>
> I can't use Port-9000 because it's used for something else
> on my server.  So
> I use Ports 91xx for a 'Production Grid' and, if I want to
> test something, I
> snapshot the /bin directory and the MySQL schema and run an
> identical
> version on Ports 92xx.  If that works, then I migrate
> the changes to the
> Production Grid.  And I do an automated back-up of
> EVERYTHING! Every day,
> lol.
>
> I don't want to try playing with the diva release and find
> 'configure.com'
> trashes my existing setup or MySQL database.
>
> Thanks, Kevin

If you are using Linux, be sure you backup include the /var/* directory!

What bit me is that MySQL uses /var/MySql/... for the database by default and /var/* was NOT being backed up! Unfortunately there are good reasons fo rnot including /var/* in a backup (it is intended as transient files after all!), but you do need to be sure that you make an exception for /var/mysql/* !!!

I use Linux/Ubuntu, but the issue is the same for every OS, only the names of the guilty parties will change!

You would be amazed at how much work you hav eput into that database WHEN you have to rebuild it!

Having said that remember that sailors are divided into three groups: those who have run aground, those who ARE aground and LIARS!

Forewarned is forearmed!

Karen

--- On Sun, 11/8/09, Kevin Buckley <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  And I do an automated back-up of
> EVERYTHING! Every day,

> I do a backupPC backup every night PLUS a complete dump of
> my MySQL database
> every night! I was bitten once with database corruption and
> do NOT intend to
> lose my work again!

MySQL backups (was RE: linking regions and hypergrid)

Kevin Buckley
I'm using a batch file (modified from something I found on the net) in
Windows Scheduler to do my backup at 5am using 'mysqldump':

REM Rock's quick database backup script
REM Place this batch file into Microsoft Scheduler, set to daily
cd "c:\Program Files\MySQL\MySQL Server 5.1\bin"
mysqldump --opt -uroot -p***** opensim2 > z:\MySQLBackup\opensim2.sql
REM Now rename & datestamp the file
z:
cd "z:\MySQLBackup\"
ren opensim2.sql "%date:~6,4%-%date:~3,2%-%date:~0,2%opensim2.sql"

This avoids having to know anything about the MySQL installation.

z: is a remote 1Tb network drive on my system. opensim2 is the name of the
database.  The individual backups are named like '2009-11-09opensim2.sql'.

Using this method do I still need to backup the other stuff separately?

Kevin

If you are using Linux, be sure you backup include the /var/* directory!

What bit me is that MySQL uses /var/MySql/... for the database by default
and /var/* was NOT being backed up! Unfortunately there are good reasons fo
rnot including /var/* in a backup (it is intended as transient files after
all!), but you do need to be sure that you make an exception for
/var/mysql/* !!!

I use Linux/Ubuntu, but the issue is the same for every OS, only the names
of the guilty parties will change!

You would be amazed at how much work you hav eput into that database WHEN
you have to rebuild it!

Having said that remember that sailors are divided into three groups: those
who have run aground, those who ARE aground and LIARS!

Forewarned is forearmed!

Karen

--- On Sun, 11/8/09, Kevin Buckley <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  And I do an automated back-up of
> EVERYTHING! Every day,

> I do a backupPC backup every night PLUS a complete dump of
> my MySQL database
> every night! I was bitten once with database corruption and
> do NOT intend to
> lose my work again!

Re: linking regions and hypergrid

Kevin Buckley
I noticed that there is a link in divapreferences.ini to a metaverse
address:

[DataSnapshot]
    index_sims = true
    data_exposure = minimum

    ; 1 hour
    default_snapshot_period = 3600

    snapshot_cache_directory = "DataSnapshot"
    data_services="http://metaverseink.com/cgi-bin/register.py"

What is that for?  Do I need to change that?

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin Buckley wrote:
> Thanks - I worked that out and now have 2 instances running on my server
on

> ports 901x and 902x and using 2 separate MySQL schemas.
>
> I have created some (different) users in each instance and I can log into
> each instance separately, no problem.
>
> However, when I try to 'link-regions' I get a 'region is too far' error.
>
> The regions (just what was in the diva release) are at 5773,398 and
> 6282,7391.
>
> I seem to remember reading a while back that linked regions needed to be
> within a certain distance from each other (this was/is a bug) - is this
the

> problem I am seeing?
>
> Cheers, Kevin

So I now have my regions closer together: <5773-5774, 398-399> on ports
9010-9013, and <6281-6282, 390-391> on ports 9020-9023 and, if I log-in to
one of them, I can 'link-region' to the other:

Region (root) # link-region 5773 401 myurl.com:9020
09:27:35 - >> MapName: myurl.com:9020

09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Link to myurl.com:9020, in 1477888-102656
09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Linking remote region myurl.com:9020
09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Linking to http://91.237.142.232:9020/
09:27:35 - >> HERE, uuid: a8686b5e-a016-468e-8af4-dffd5b204929

09:27:35 - >> HERE, realHandle: 6906032534160896

09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Successfully linked to region_uuid
a8686b5e-a016-468e-8af4-dffd5b204929
09:27:35 - [HGrid]: link region succeeded

However, when I log-in (to the first grid on port 9010) I can't see the
hyperlinked region at <5773, 401>.  That square just shows as 'offline' on
the big map.

I can't see anything different if I log-in to the other grid on port 9020
either.

Am I missing something conceptually here (lol)?  Or have I missed out a step
along the way?

Thanks, Kevin

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> So - if I want to test this by running separate, hyperlinked, standalone
> grids on a single server:
>

> O I guess I need to give each instance its own Port base: 900x, 901x,
> 902x etc.?
>
> O I guess each instance needs a separate MySQL schema: opensim1,
> opensim2, opensim3 etc.?
>

> Thanks, Kevin

Re: MySQL backups (was RE: linking regions and hypergrid)

William Magee
Hi Karen,

I think Ubuntu uses /usr/bin for mysql. At least it does in my
installation of 9.04.

Cheers,
Bill

You cannot make neighbors out of hyperlinked regions -- because popular
HG regions could end up with hundreds of neighbors and corresponding
child agents...

If you want your sims as neighbours, make them share the same DB.

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> So I now have my regions closer together: <5773-5774, 398-399> on ports
> 9010-9013, and <6281-6282, 390-391> on ports 9020-9023 and, if I log-in to
> one of them, I can 'link-region' to the other:

> Region (root) # link-region 5773 401 myurl.com:9020
> 09:27:35 - >> MapName: myurl.com:9020
>
> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Link to myurl.com:9020, in 1477888-102656
> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Linking remote region myurl.com:9020
> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Linking to http://91.237.142.232:9020/
> 09:27:35 - >> HERE, uuid: a8686b5e-a016-468e-8af4-dffd5b204929
>
> 09:27:35 - >> HERE, realHandle: 6906032534160896
>
> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Successfully linked to region_uuid
> a8686b5e-a016-468e-8af4-dffd5b204929
> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: link region succeeded
>
> However, when I log-in (to the first grid on port 9010) I can't see the
> hyperlinked region at <5773, 401>.  That square just shows as 'offline' on
> the big map.
>
> I can't see anything different if I log-in to the other grid on port 9020
> either.
>
> Am I missing something conceptually here (lol)?  Or have I missed out a step
> along the way?
>
> Thanks, Kevin

That's for the indexing/search service provided by MetaverseInk, which
is included in the configuration, as stated in the announcing blog post
http://www.metaverseink.com/blog/?p=21 and in the README file.
If you don't want this service, turn it off -- in MyWorld.ini.

In general you can override any configuration variable included in
DivasPreferences.ini and in OpenSim.ini by setting them to different
values in MyWorld.ini. Make sure that you include the proper section
headers there too.

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> I noticed that there is a link in divapreferences.ini to a metaverse
> address:
>
> [DataSnapshot]
>     index_sims = true
>     data_exposure = minimum
>
>     ; 1 hour
>     default_snapshot_period = 3600
>
>     snapshot_cache_directory = "DataSnapshot"
>     data_services="http://metaverseink.com/cgi-bin/register.py"
>
> What is that for?  Do I need to change that?
>
> Thanks, Kevin

Sorry, too early in the morning -- you're not making them neighbors, good.

It should work. There are some issues with the map images of hyperlinked
regions, they stopped working some time ago, but you should see a white
tile.

Another way of linking regions on-the-fly is to pull up the map and
search for sims in the search box there, for example mydomain.com:9020

[hidden email] wrote:

> You cannot make neighbors out of hyperlinked regions -- because popular
> HG regions could end up with hundreds of neighbors and corresponding
> child agents...
>
> If you want your sims as neighbours, make them share the same DB.
>
> Kevin Buckley wrote:
>> So I now have my regions closer together: <5773-5774, 398-399> on ports
>> 9010-9013, and <6281-6282, 390-391> on ports 9020-9023 and, if I log-in to
>> one of them, I can 'link-region' to the other:

>> Region (root) # link-region 5773 401 myurl.com:9020
>> 09:27:35 - >> MapName: myurl.com:9020
>>
>> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Link to myurl.com:9020, in 1477888-102656
>> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Linking remote region myurl.com:9020
>> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Linking to http://91.237.142.232:9020/
>> 09:27:35 - >> HERE, uuid: a8686b5e-a016-468e-8af4-dffd5b204929
>>
>> 09:27:35 - >> HERE, realHandle: 6906032534160896
>>
>> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Successfully linked to region_uuid
>> a8686b5e-a016-468e-8af4-dffd5b204929
>> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: link region succeeded
>>
>> However, when I log-in (to the first grid on port 9010) I can't see the
>> hyperlinked region at <5773, 401>.  That square just shows as 'offline' on
>> the big map.
>>
>> I can't see anything different if I log-in to the other grid on port 9020
>> either.
>>
>> Am I missing something conceptually here (lol)?  Or have I missed out a step
>> along the way?
>>
>> Thanks, Kevin

I guess I'm missing something here, lol.  I want to be able to hyperlink
between 2 separate (effectively standalone) grids on 2 separate machines.  I
thought that meant I nominate an empty location on one grid (5773,401 in my
case) to a sim on another hyperlinkable grid (identified by its port - 9020
in my case).

Then I expect both grids will share a single sim in common which acts as a
gateway.

Is that not correct?

Sorry if I am being a bit dumb.

Regards, Kevin

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> So I now have my regions closer together: <5773-5774, 398-399> on ports
> 9010-9013, and <6281-6282, 390-391> on ports 9020-9023 and, if I log-in to
> one of them, I can 'link-region' to the other:

> Region (root) # link-region 5773 401 myurl.com:9020
> 09:27:35 - >> MapName: myurl.com:9020
>
> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Link to myurl.com:9020, in 1477888-102656
> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Linking remote region myurl.com:9020
> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Linking to http://91.237.142.232:9020/
> 09:27:35 - >> HERE, uuid: a8686b5e-a016-468e-8af4-dffd5b204929
>
> 09:27:35 - >> HERE, realHandle: 6906032534160896
>
> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Successfully linked to region_uuid
> a8686b5e-a016-468e-8af4-dffd5b204929
> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: link region succeeded
>
> However, when I log-in (to the first grid on port 9010) I can't see the
> hyperlinked region at <5773, 401>.  That square just shows as 'offline' on
> the big map.
>
> I can't see anything different if I log-in to the other grid on port 9020
> either.
>
> Am I missing something conceptually here (lol)?  Or have I missed out a
step

> along the way?
>
> Thanks, Kevin

example mydomain.com:9020" - Excellent piece of advice!  It IS there -
however, it is not at 5773, 401.  It's somewhere so far to the East I can't
begin to estimate its position. I CAN TP to it though.  Thanks for all your
help so far - Kevin

[hidden email] wrote:
> You cannot make neighbors out of hyperlinked regions -- because popular
> HG regions could end up with hundreds of neighbors and corresponding
> child agents...
>
> If you want your sims as neighbours, make them share the same DB.
>
> Kevin Buckley wrote:
>> So I now have my regions closer together: <5773-5774, 398-399> on ports
>> 9010-9013, and <6281-6282, 390-391> on ports 9020-9023 and, if I log-in

>> one of them, I can 'link-region' to the other:

>> Region (root) # link-region 5773 401 myurl.com:9020
>> 09:27:35 - >> MapName: myurl.com:9020
>>
>> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Link to myurl.com:9020, in 1477888-102656
>> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Linking remote region myurl.com:9020
>> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Linking to http://91.237.142.232:9020/
>> 09:27:35 - >> HERE, uuid: a8686b5e-a016-468e-8af4-dffd5b204929
>>
>> 09:27:35 - >> HERE, realHandle: 6906032534160896
>>
>> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: Successfully linked to region_uuid
>> a8686b5e-a016-468e-8af4-dffd5b204929
>> 09:27:35 - [HGrid]: link region succeeded
>>
>> However, when I log-in (to the first grid on port 9010) I can't see the
>> hyperlinked region at <5773, 401>.  That square just shows as 'offline'
on
>> the big map.
>>
>> I can't see anything different if I log-in to the other grid on port 9020
>> either.
>>
>> Am I missing something conceptually here (lol)?  Or have I missed out a
step

>> along the way?
>>
>> Thanks, Kevin

Ok I am using 9.10, but I don't think this changed between versions.

The MySQL Baianries are in /usr/bin, but the database info itself is in /var/lib/mysql by default!

That is exactly what bit me! The binaries can be replaced with a simple download/reinstall, but the database ...

Three months later and I am STILL finding stuff that is missing.

I would be even worse off if I hadn't saved most of the stuff with Meerkat backups as I built it!

12