linking regions and hypergrid

12

Re: MySQL backups (was RE: linking regions and hypergrid)

Karen_Palen
The database is critical enough that I do both - NOW!

I use MySQL Administrator which includes a simple database backup. It also drives some database checking and repair tools that are worthwhile.

I don't have a lot of experience with MySQL, but I have had enough experience with databases in the past to know that they get to be the "family jewels" of your entire project!

Karen

Re: MySQL backups (was RE: linking regions and hypergrid)

Sean Hennessee
I use an automated tool for backup of my MySQL database on CentOS and
RHEL Linux. You can get an opensource version of it here:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/automysqlbackup/
It has some nice features, like automating daily, weekly, and monthly
backups, as well as having a separate "latest" folder that has the most
recent MySQL backup handy. It runs daily as a cronjob.

Peace,
Sean

--

Sean Hennessee
UC Irvine

... . .- -. /  .... . -. -. . ... ... . .

Re: MySQL backups (was RE: linking regions and hypergrid)

William Magee
Thanks Karen, you are right about /var/lib/mysql. This could have been
a crucial error on my part!

I use a bash script for backup:

bkupname=databasename_bkup_$(date +"%a_%b_%d_%Y_%H_%M_%S").mysql_bkup
mysqldump -u username -p databasename > $bkupname

On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 1:43 AM, Karen Palen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The database is critical enough that I do both - NOW!
>
> I use MySQL Administrator which includes a simple database backup. It also drives some database checking and repair tools that are worthwhile.
>
> I don't have a lot of experience with MySQL, but I have had enough experience with databases in the past to know that they get to be the "family jewels" of your entire project!
>
> Karen

William Magee, Ph.D.
XVIth Congress of the IABS, Planning Committee Chair
Dharma Drum Buddhist College
Jinshan, Taiwan

Re: MySQL backups (was RE: linking regions and hypergrid)

Michael-9-3
I also use a shell script under linux, scheduled as a cron job. You can just copy the DB files, of course, but you are also copying all the cruft that way too. If one needs to restore data, may as well also wind up with a squeaky clean DB as well. :) Here's the simple version of the script I use, which also gzips the SQL file. Edit it to suit.

#!/bin/sh
TIMESTAMP=`date +%m%d%Y-%H%M%S`
mysqldump -u username -password databasename | gzip > /path/to/backupdir/dbname_$TIMESTAMP.sql.gz

Marcus Llewellyn

Re: linking regions and hypergrid

Kevin Buckley
One last (...) question.  I have a heavily 'assetted' standalone which I
want to configure for hyperlink.  However, it is a 256x256 configuration.  I
optimistically tried using the diva /bin release with my existing
regions.ini and a snapshot of my MySQL data (and making the appropriate
changes in the other ini's) - It sort of worked, I could see my last
location, but my AV ended-up stuck just on the wrong side of the sim edge
and then crashed.  I am guessing this is because your release is
pre-configured for 512x512 and my region topology is not compliant with your
guidelines?

I assume there isn't a simple way to use your release as 256x256?  I'm
currently working on 0.6.7-post-release-fixes but desperate to find a
solution to the 'grey avatar/white hair/white eyes' problem which I noticed
I didn't get when I played with your release earlier today. - Thanks, Kevin

Re: linking regions and hypergrid

Diva Canto
Nothing in the diva distro requires a 512x512 megaregion -- that's
simply my own preference, people can change it. I have no idea of the
setup you had for your previous standalone, so I'm not sure you can do
what you want to do.
But here's what you can try. (Disclaimer: I haven't tried this myself,
because I'm not in your situation. But it should work. I think.)

In your diva distro sim:

1) replace Regions/RegionConfig.ini with the ini/xml of your previous
region. And I mean *replace* it, not just add the old ini/xml in there
too. I suggest you leave the ini file with the name RegionConfig.ini, so
that it gets migrated upon upgrades. Make sure to preserve the UUID of
your old region, that's very important.

2) edit config-include/MyWorld.ini and change the DB credentials to be
those of the existing DB. Make sure to change those credentials
everywhere in MyWorld.ini where DB credentials are present.

I think you were stuck because the login was successful, but there was
no old region in the system.

Kevin Buckley wrote:

> One last (...) question.  I have a heavily 'assetted' standalone which I
> want to configure for hyperlink.  However, it is a 256x256 configuration.  I
> optimistically tried using the diva /bin release with my existing
> regions.ini and a snapshot of my MySQL data (and making the appropriate
> changes in the other ini's) - It sort of worked, I could see my last
> location, but my AV ended-up stuck just on the wrong side of the sim edge
> and then crashed.  I am guessing this is because your release is
> pre-configured for 512x512 and my region topology is not compliant with your
> guidelines?
>
> I assume there isn't a simple way to use your release as 256x256?  I'm
> currently working on 0.6.7-post-release-fixes but desperate to find a
> solution to the 'grey avatar/white hair/white eyes' problem which I noticed
> I didn't get when I played with your release earlier today. - Thanks, Kevin

About the only thing I can think of to improve would be to remove the old files more than XXX days old!

Even a 300Mb database on modern 1Tb HDDs can get pretty hefty after a month of nightly backups!

Karen

> scheduled as a cron job. You can just copy the DB files, of
> course, but you are also copying all the cruft that way too.
> If one needs to restore data, may as well also wind up with
> a squeaky clean DB as well. :) Here's the simple version
> of the script I use, which also gzips the SQL file. Edit it
> to suit.
>
> #!/bin/shTIMESTAMP=`date
> +%m%d%Y-%H%M%S`mysqldump -u username -password
> databasename | gzip >
> /path/to/backupdir/dbname_$TIMESTAMP.sql.gz
>

> Marcus Llewellyn
>
> -----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: MySQL backups (was RE: linking regions and hypergrid)

Karen_Palen
THAT is why I made the posting.

WARNING! The same problem likely exists under Mac and Windows, but I don't know the file structure used on those OSes!

NOW is the time to check!

I will sadly provide a free flogging to anyone who gets caught without a proper database backup after this warning!

FWIW I was a sailboat captain for 13 years and part of my "new crew" speech was "Captain Bligh was a nice guy compared to me! He lost 4 men crossing the Pacific, so far I haven't lost anyone in the Pacific Ocean!" It was amazing how well everyone listened to my safety lecture after that! LOL

Karen

Re: linking regions and hypergrid

Kevin Buckley
That's exactly what I tried to do.  Maybe I missed something.  OK - now you
have confirmed that it isn't megaregion specific I'll have another go. -
Thanks, Kevin

Kevin Buckley wrote:
> One last (...) question.  I have a heavily 'assetted' standalone which I
> want to configure for hyperlink.  However, it is a 256x256 configuration.
> optimistically tried using the diva /bin release with my existing
> regions.ini and a snapshot of my MySQL data (and making the appropriate
> changes in the other ini's) - It sort of worked, I could see my last
> location, but my AV ended-up stuck just on the wrong side of the sim edge
> and then crashed.  I am guessing this is because your release is
> pre-configured for 512x512 and my region topology is not compliant with
your
> guidelines?
>
> I assume there isn't a simple way to use your release as 256x256?  I'm
> currently working on 0.6.7-post-release-fixes but desperate to find a
> solution to the 'grey avatar/white hair/white eyes' problem which I
noticed
> I didn't get when I played with your release earlier today. - Thanks,
Kevin

Rather than use the diva distributable, I've managed to reconfigure a test
snapshot of my production grid to work as a standalone hypergrid.  I also
created a new, single sim hypergrid standalone so I could test region
linking.  However, when I issue a link-region command, everything goes
swimmingly well but at the end I get an 'incompatible coordinates' message
(coords are 1000,1000).

The linked sim, is again, far far away - not where I told it to go.  I can
TP to it and meet another local AV, rez scripted objects etc. all fine.
However, I can't now TP back - I get an incompatible coords message in the
viewer.  So is my AV doomed to spend the rest of his days stuck on a tiny
island in the middle of an endless ocean? - Regards, Kevin

Kevin Buckley wrote:
> One last (...) question.  I have a heavily 'assetted' standalone which I
> want to configure for hyperlink.  However, it is a 256x256 configuration.
> optimistically tried using the diva /bin release with my existing
> regions.ini and a snapshot of my MySQL data (and making the appropriate
> changes in the other ini's) - It sort of worked, I could see my last
> location, but my AV ended-up stuck just on the wrong side of the sim edge
> and then crashed.  I am guessing this is because your release is
> pre-configured for 512x512 and my region topology is not compliant with
your
> guidelines?
>
> I assume there isn't a simple way to use your release as 256x256?  I'm
> currently working on 0.6.7-post-release-fixes but desperate to find a
> solution to the 'grey avatar/white hair/white eyes' problem which I
noticed
> I didn't get when I played with your release earlier today. - Thanks,
Kevin

12