llOpenRemoteDataChannel

cliveg
Hi

Does anyone know if the llOpenRemoteDataChannel function works
properly with OpenSim 0.6.7?

I am trying to implement an in-world scripted avatar scanner that
reports to an external Web server.

It works fine in SL, but I cannot seem to get it to work in OpenSim

Any ideas?

Thanks

Clive

Re: llOpenRemoteDataChannel

Tim Allen-4
As far as I know, XML-RPC functions are not supported in OpenSim...
and they will eventually be phased out in Second Life.

XML-RPC requires a centralized server in Second Life, and functions
are being phased out in favor of http functionality which is available
at the sim level... and much more reliable. There was a good six-month
period where XML-RPC services in SL were, at best, a 50/50 shot of
actually working.

While I'm not sure of the status of HTTP in OpenSim, see here for what
you want to use in SL:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_http_server

Regards,

-Tim / FlipperPA

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Clive Gould <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Does anyone know if the llOpenRemoteDataChannel function works
> properly with OpenSim 0.6.7?
>
> I am trying to implement an in-world scripted avatar scanner that
> reports to an external Web server.
>
> It works fine in SL, but I cannot seem to get it to work in OpenSim
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

Re: llOpenRemoteDataChannel

BlueWall Slade
XML-RPC works fine in OpenSim. There is no packaged central gateway for the incoming connections, but the regions handle it fine. Any SL scripts would have to be altered to send the calls to the region's remote data port instead of a central service.

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Tim Allen <[hidden email]> wrote:
As far as I know, XML-RPC functions are not supported in OpenSim...
and they will eventually be phased out in Second Life.

XML-RPC requires a centralized server in Second Life, and functions
are being phased out in favor of http functionality which is available
at the sim level... and much more reliable. There was a good six-month
period where XML-RPC services in SL were, at best, a 50/50 shot of
actually working.

While I'm not sure of the status of HTTP in OpenSim, see here for what
you want to use in SL:
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_http_server

Regards,

-Tim / FlipperPA

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Clive Gould <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi
>
> Does anyone know if the llOpenRemoteDataChannel function works
> properly with OpenSim 0.6.7?
>
> I am trying to implement an in-world scripted avatar scanner that
> reports to an external Web server.
>
> It works fine in SL, but I cannot seem to get it to work in OpenSim
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
>
> Clive

Re: llOpenRemoteDataChannel

cliveg
Hi

Thanks for the replies.

How do I modify a script so that it sends the calls to the region's
remote data port on 20800 instead of a central service?

llOpenRemoteDataChannel(); does not appear to accept any parameters
according to the SL Wiki.

The relevant code excerpts from my working SL script are below:

 state_entry()
    {
        llOpenRemoteDataChannel();
    }

    remote_data(integer type, key channel, key message_id, string
sender, integer ival, string sval)
    {
         if (type == REMOTE_DATA_CHANNEL)
         {
             string data = "lslkey=" + (string)channel + "&" +
"objectkey=" + ObjectKey + "&" + "region=" + Region + ":" + Position;
             key http =
llHTTPRequest("http://cd.bromley.ac.uk/clive/register.php?" +
data,[HTTP_METHOD,"GET"],"");
          }
         if (type == REMOTE_DATA_REQUEST)
         {
            llRemoteDataReply(channel,NULL_KEY,AviString,AviNumber);
            SValue = sval;
         }

    }

Any help very much appreciated as I'd like to get this working so I
can use OpenSim instead of SL with my HE students.

Thanks :)

Clive

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Clive Gould <[hidden email]> wrote:

> XML-RPC works fine in OpenSim. There is no packaged central gateway for the
> incoming connections, but the regions handle it fine. Any SL scripts would
> have to be altered to send the calls to the region's remote data port
> instead of a central service.
>
> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Tim Allen <flipper at peregrinesalon.com>wrote:
>
>> As far as I know, XML-RPC functions are not supported in OpenSim...
>> and they will eventually be phased out in Second Life.
>>
>> XML-RPC requires a centralized server in Second Life, and functions
>> are being phased out in favor of http functionality which is available
>> at the sim level... and much more reliable. There was a good six-month
>> period where XML-RPC services in SL were, at best, a 50/50 shot of
>> actually working.
>>
>> While I'm not sure of the status of HTTP in OpenSim, see here for what
>> you want to use in SL:
>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_http_server
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> -Tim / FlipperPA
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:27 AM, Clive Gould <cliveg at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi
>> >
>> > Does anyone know if the llOpenRemoteDataChannel function works
>> > properly with OpenSim 0.6.7?
>> >
>> > I am trying to implement an in-world scripted avatar scanner that
>> > reports to an external Web server.
>> >
>> > It works fine in SL, but I cannot seem to get it to work in OpenSim
>> >
>> > Any ideas?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > Clive

Re: llOpenRemoteDataChannel

cliveg
I need to use XML-RPC as I have tried the alternative approach using
llRequestURL() and llHTTPResponse, which does not yet work in OpenSim.

The URL generated by the function llRequestURL() is not externally
accessible as it does not contain the complete hostname of the server
i.e. AviScan: URL:
http://standbyvle:9000/lslhttp/0f4308ef-5bda-4067-99aa-8139a8729cda/

To work the URL would need to contain standbyvle.bromley.ac.uk:9000 etc

Also I gather from Mantis there is a severe OpenSim bug associated
with the llHTTPResponse function at the moment.

Does anyone have a working OpenSim XML-RPC LSL script & server side
PHP script they could let me have to try???

Thanks very much

Clive

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 6:41 AM, Clive Gould <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the replies.
>
> How do I modify a script so that it sends the calls to the region's
> remote data port on 20800 instead of a central service?
>
> llOpenRemoteDataChannel(); does not appear to accept any parameters
> according to the SL Wiki.
>
> The relevant code excerpts from my working SL script are below:
>
>  state_entry()
>    {
>        llOpenRemoteDataChannel();
>    }
>

>    remote_data(integer type, key channel, key message_id, string
> sender, integer ival, string sval)
>    {
>         if (type == REMOTE_DATA_CHANNEL)
>         {
>             string data = "lslkey=" + (string)channel + "&" +
> "objectkey=" + ObjectKey + "&" + "region=" + Region + ":" + Position;
>             key http =
> llHTTPRequest("http://cd.bromley.ac.uk/clive/register.php?" +
> data,[HTTP_METHOD,"GET"],"");
>          }
>         if (type == REMOTE_DATA_REQUEST)
>         {
>            llRemoteDataReply(channel,NULL_KEY,AviString,AviNumber);
>            SValue = sval;
>         }
>
>    }
>
> Any help very much appreciated as I'd like to get this working so I
> can use OpenSim instead of SL with my HE students.
>
> Thanks :)
>
> Clive
>

> On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 6:33 AM, Clive Gould <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> XML-RPC works fine in OpenSim. There is no packaged central gateway for the
>> incoming connections, but the regions handle it fine. Any SL scripts would
>> have to be altered to send the calls to the region's remote data port
>> instead of a central service.
>>
>> On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Tim Allen <flipper at peregrinesalon.com>wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I know, XML-RPC functions are not supported in OpenSim...
>>> and they will eventually be phased out in Second Life.
>>>
>>> XML-RPC requires a centralized server in Second Life, and functions
>>> are being phased out in favor of http functionality which is available
>>> at the sim level... and much more reliable. There was a good six-month
>>> period where XML-RPC services in SL were, at best, a 50/50 shot of
>>> actually working.
>>>
>>> While I'm not sure of the status of HTTP in OpenSim, see here for what
>>> you want to use in SL:
>>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LSL_http_server
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> -Tim / FlipperPA

Re: llOpenRemoteDataChannel

cliveg
Hi

Can anyone suggest why the followng script works fine in SL, (SL Chat:
Scanner - full perm: Channel 3d7c17b7-5761-bdbe-81f9-cf2e24521d10
established) but produces no output whatsoever in OpenSim?

I am running OpenSim 0.6.7 post-fixes in standalone mode, have
uncommented the remoteDataPort = 20800 parameter in OpenSim.ini and
restarted the simluator.

Thanks

Clive

default
{
    state_entry()
    {
        llOpenRemoteDataChannel();
    }

    on_rez(integer param)
    {
        llResetScript();
    }

    remote_data(integer type, key channel, key message_id, string
sender, integer ival, string sval)
    {
         if (type == REMOTE_DATA_CHANNEL)
         {
              llSay(0, "Channel "+ (string) channel + " established");
          }
    }

}

Re: llOpenRemoteDataChannel

BlueWall Slade
See: http://lslwiki.net/lslwiki/wakka.php?wakka=XMLRPCImplementations

and just substitute your host:port for the secondlife/xmlrpc gateway in teh examples

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 6:49 AM, Clive Gould <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Intari Marjeta
2009/10/30 Clive Gould <[hidden email]>:
> I need to use XML-RPC as I have tried the alternative approach using
> llRequestURL() and llHTTPResponse, which does not yet work in OpenSim.

They are working.Just a little differently.

> The URL generated by the function llRequestURL() is not externally
> accessible as it does not contain the complete hostname of the server
> i.e. AviScan: URL:
> http://standbyvle:9000/lslhttp/0f4308ef-5bda-4067-99aa-8139a8729cda/
>
> To work the URL would need to contain standbyvle.bromley.ac.uk:9000 etc

I suppose you use windows hosting?
In this case use option
ExternalHostNameForLSL=standbyvle.bromley.ac.uk in [Network] section.

> Also I gather from Mantis there is a severe OpenSim bug associated
> with the llHTTPResponse function at the moment.

I don't saw any severe bugs on my tests of LSL-HTTP

Re: llOpenRemoteDataChannel

cliveg
Hi Intari

Thanks very much for the advice.

I got over my problems by using the following parameters in OpenSim.ini:

[NETWORK]
    remoteDataPort = 20800
    ExternalHostNameForLSL=standbyvle.bromley.ac.uk ; solved problem
with llRequestURL()

[XMLRPC]
   XmlRpcRouterModule = "XmlRpcRouterModule"
   XmlRpcPort = 20800 ; solved problem with llOpenRemoteDataChannel()

Thanks again :D

Clive

On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 2:40 AM, Intari Marjeta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> 2009/10/30 Clive Gould <[hidden email]>:
>> I need to use XML-RPC as I have tried the alternative approach using
>> llRequestURL() and llHTTPResponse, which does not yet work in OpenSim.
>>
> They are working.Just a little differently.
>
>> The URL generated by the function llRequestURL() is not externally
>> accessible as it does not contain the complete hostname of the server
>> i.e. AviScan: URL:
>> http://standbyvle:9000/lslhttp/0f4308ef-5bda-4067-99aa-8139a8729cda/
>>
>> To work the URL would need to contain standbyvle.bromley.ac.uk:9000 etc
>>
> I suppose you use windows hosting?
> In this case use option
> ExternalHostNameForLSL=standbyvle.bromley.ac.uk in [Network] section.
>
>> Also I gather from Mantis there is a severe OpenSim bug associated
>> with the llHTTPResponse function at the moment.
>>
> I don't saw any severe bugs on my tests of LSL-HTTP

Re: llOpenRemoteDataChannel

cliveg
Hi

I don't know if anyone can help but I'm still having problems with
XML-RPC and OpenSim.

Using identical scripts (apart from server URL's and ports) the
implementation works fine in SL, but still won't work in OpenSim.

In OpenSim I get the following when I use a PHP script to ask for data
from an LSL script:

Re: llOpenRemoteDataChannel

cliveg
Hi

I'm still having problems with XML-RPC and OpenSim.

Using identical scripts (apart from server URL's and ports) the
implementation of an avatar scanner works fine in SL, but still won't
work in OpenSim.

When I use a PHP script to ask for data from the in-world SecondLife
LSL scripted object I get the following response in the browser
window:

HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 06:58:28 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) DAV/2 SVN/1.4.2 mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c

Channela41d5fa6-d8d6-e794-51f9-3baf335b5ddaStringValue:Clive Pro:IntValue1

When I use a PHP script to ask for data from the OpenSim LSL scripted

Date: Sun, 01 Nov 2009 07:10:36 GMT
Server: Tiny WebServer
Connection: close

I know this is a very long shot, but any ideas why I might not be
receiving any data with OpenSim?

Thanks very much

Clive