login failing on fresh install w/ two distros

login failing on fresh install w/ two distros

CiderJack
Issues had arisen with two of the regions in a 4-region standalone no
longer loading. Every bootup of OS was asking for region name, uuid,
whether to join the estate, etc. then loading default pinheads on the SW
& NE regions, while loading the other two correctly. (disclosure: I had
been playing with region settings extensively so probably something I
changed that I didn't un-change). So I deleted the entire OpenSim
0.8.0.3 folder and database, then recreated the database and
reinstalled. This is where the fun begins

After reinstalling regular OpenSim 0.8.0.3, logging in doesn't pass the
'handshake' portion. No errors on console. Then I am offered the choice
to read chat or teleport (or close), and Teleport is chosen. Immediately
notified that I am 'unable to authenticate'.

Console says salted hashes do not match. Maybe I typed in the wrong
password when setting up, so I reinstall (including dropping & creating
new database) but the issue persists.

A project I had been working on was (fortunately) saved to an oar file,
and was needing more work. In a separate folder with a separate database
the latest Diva Distro is then installed.

I am inworld for an hour or so, then get called away. An oar file is
saved and the simulator & the server shut down. About an hour later they
are both started up again, but I am unable to log in. The same issue
that was happening with plain OS has now occurred with the most recent
Diva Distro.

Through all of this I am using Singularity 1.8.6. I then tried
Imprudence 1.3.2 (the only other viewer I have installed). This goes
only slightly differently.

The first part is the same - can't get past handshake. The console shows
no errors or suggestions of potential issues. The second half is
different - when choosing 'Teleport', Imprudence immediately crashes.
Nothing (zilch) is registered on the console.

Also tried from another terminal on the network. Exactly the same.

TL;DR: OpenSim can't get handshake (getting this far implies
authentication worked I think?) then asks 'View Chat/Close/Teleport' and
then says 'unable to authenticate avatar'. D2 worked fine on first run,
but now does the same thing.

Open for suggestions :)

--
~!CJ

Re: login failing on fresh install w/ two distros

Unadecal Arado
Hello CiderJack,

You sound like a seasoned Opensim user, but we need to go over the basics. Please go through this check list and make sure that these usual suspects are not the culprit

Check Opensim.ini and verify that you are using a unique http_listener_port for each instance of opensim.exe and that their are within the range which your router forwards to your server.
Check your regions.ini file and verify that the UUIDs are unique a correspond to the ones you wish to assign to each region.
Verify that InternalPorts are all unique and within the forwarding range. Problems with region ports are not reported and usually result in erratic and unpredictable behaviour.
Verify that the InternalAdress is set to 0.0.0.0 for all regions.
Verify that the ExternalHostName is set correctly. The meaning of "correctly" is dependent on your particular situation, but this is either your router's external IP address or a dns name which resolves to your router's external IP address. (if your simulator is accessible externally).

Without knowing more about your installation, That's where I'd start.

Regards,

Unadecal

On 24 February 2015 at 08:50, CiderJack <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hi Unadecal,
Replies interspersed below...

---
~!CJ

On 2015-02-25 07:47, Unadecal Arado wrote:
> Hello CiderJack,
>
> You sound like a seasoned Opensim user, but we need to go over the
> basics. Please go through this check list and make sure that these
> usual suspects are not the culprit
Certainly - the very beginning is a very good place to start.

> Check Opensim.ini and verify that you are using a unique
> http_listener_port for each instance of opensim.exe and that their are
> within the range which your router forwards to your server.
Only one instance of OS/D2 is being run at any time, just using defaults
(which are in range).

> Check your regions.ini file and verify that the UUIDs are unique a
> correspond to the ones you wish to assign to each region.
Have done this, and they are (for both OS & D2). Further, with the D2
install there is only one region (The OS install has 4).

> Verify that InternalPorts are all unique and within the forwarding
> range. Problems with region ports are not reported and usually result
> in erratic and unpredictable behaviour.
Done this, and they are. (Though again D2 only has one region.)

> Verify that the InternalAdress is set to 0.0.0.0 for all regions.
Have double-checked, and it is in D2. In OS I left them at the default
setting of 127.0.0.1. Have now tested with that changed to 0.0.0.0 in
all regions, with the same results as previously.

> Verify that the ExternalHostName is set correctly. The meaning of
> "correctly" is dependent on your particular situation, but this is
> either your router's external IP address or a dns name which resolves
> to your router's external IP address. (if your simulator is accessible
> externally).
Have just been using the default of SYSTEMIP, which of course has always
worked in the past - I've never bothered opening it beyond the local
network.

> Without knowing more about your installation, That's where I'd start.
Both installs are almost pure default settings for standalone. In
regular OpenSim, the only changes that have been made:

StandalondCommon.ini
-------
[DatabaseService]
; MySql
     StorageProvider = "OpenSim.Data.MySQL.dll"
     ConnectionString = "Data Source=localhost;Database=opensimdb;User
ID=opensim;Password=123;Old Guids=true;"

Regions.ini
-------
[Dreamtime]
RegionUUID = "11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555555"
Location = "1000,1000"
InternalAddress = "127.0.0.1"
InternalPort = 9000
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = "SYSTEMIP"

[NW]
RegionUUID = "11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555556"
Location = "1000,1001"
InternalAddress = "127.0.0.1"
InternalPort = 9001
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = "SYSTEMIP"

[SE]
RegionUUID = "11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555557"
Location = "1001,1000"
InternalAddress = "127.0.0.1"
InternalPort = 9002
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = "SYSTEMIP"

[NE]
RegionUUID = "11111111-2222-3333-4444-555555555558"
Location = "1001,1001"
InternalAddress = "127.0.0.1"
InternalPort = 9003
AllowAlternatePorts = False
ExternalHostName = "SYSTEMIP"

With the Diva Distro, the only changes that have been made (besides
changing the region name on Regions.ini):

MyWorld.ini
-------
[DatabaseService]
     ; ### Set the password (again)
     ConnectionString = "Data Source=localhost;Database=opensimdiva;User
ID=opensim;Password=123;Old Guids=true;Allow Zero Datetime=true;"

So after going through this it occurs to me that the issue may possibly
be somewhere in my database settings? OS & D2 use separate databases of
course, but the same user (with global privileges). (running this
locally on XAMPP using PHPmyAdmin for creating database/user)

> Regards,
>
> Unadecal
>
> On 24 February 2015 at 08:50, CiderJack
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Issues had arisen with two of the regions in a 4-region standalone
>> no longer loading. Every bootup of OS was asking for region name,
>> uuid, whether to join the estate, etc. then loading default pinheads
>> on the SW & NE regions, while loading the other two correctly.
>> (disclosure: I had been playing with region settings extensively so
>> probably something I changed that I didn't un-change). So I deleted
>> the entire OpenSim 0.8.0.3 folder and database, then recreated the
>> database and reinstalled. This is where the fun begins
>>
>> After reinstalling regular OpenSim 0.8.0.3, logging in doesn't pass
>> the 'handshake' portion. No errors on console. Then I am offered the
>> choice to read chat or teleport (or close), and Teleport is chosen.
>> Immediately notified that I am 'unable to authenticate'.
>>
>> Console says salted hashes do not match. Maybe I typed in the wrong
>> password when setting up, so I reinstall (including dropping &
>> creating new database) but the issue persists.
>>
>> A project I had been working on was (fortunately) saved to an oar
>> file, and was needing more work. In a separate folder with a
>> separate database the latest Diva Distro is then installed.
>>
>> I am inworld for an hour or so, then get called away. An oar file
>> is saved and the simulator & the server shut down. About an hour
>> later they are both started up again, but I am unable to log in. The
>> same issue that was happening with plain OS has now occurred with
>> the most recent Diva Distro.
>>
>> Through all of this I am using Singularity 1.8.6. I then tried
>> Imprudence 1.3.2 (the only other viewer I have installed). This goes
>> only slightly differently.
>>
>> The first part is the same - can't get past handshake. The console
>> shows no errors or suggestions of potential issues. The second half
>> is different - when choosing 'Teleport', Imprudence immediately
>> crashes. Nothing (zilch) is registered on the console.
>>
>> Also tried from another terminal on the network. Exactly the same.
>>
>> TL;DR: OpenSim can't get handshake (getting this far implies
>> authentication worked I think?) then asks 'View Chat/Close/Teleport'
>> and then says 'unable to authenticate avatar'. D2 worked fine on
>> first run, but now does the same thing.
>>
>> Open for suggestions :)
>>
>> --
>> ~!CJ
>

> Links:
> ------

Re: login failing on fresh install w/ two distros

Unadecal Arado
Thank you for the thorough reply, we seem to have covered the basics. I have not used XAMPP, so far I have only used EasyPHP, but there should be no appreciable difference between these wamps. The way I usually do it (because I saw it in a youtube video a year ago when I started fiddling with OS) is as follows:

1. Log in to PHPMyAdmin.
2. Create a database.
3. Create a user (user name seems to be case sensitive). Set Host to localhost. Set password. Save the user without assigning database privileges (unselect global privileges).
4. Edit the user. Add database-specific privileges for the database that was created earlier (FULL privileges).
5. Save and exit.
6. Repeat 4 and 5 for each database.

another thing you might try if this fails, is to uninstall XAMPP, remove all residual directories and then reinstall.

On 25 February 2015 at 01:18, CiderJack <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Unadecal,
Replies interspersed below...

---
~!CJ

Re: login failing on fresh install w/ two distros

CiderJack
Thankyou Unadecal,

I don't understand why it worked, but it did. Have always run my local
server with the db user having global (as opposed to explicit), never
had any issue. (With no external connections, there's no point in
creating a million users for a million databases.) Just as well this
worked, reinstalling XAMPP is pretty much out of the question as far as
I'm concerned - I've done alot of tweaking on it, and is running solid
as a rock so as they say if it ain't broke don't fix! Also using this
XAMPP install in my day-job so any downtime with that is to be avoided
at pretty much all costs.

Fingers crossed this continues to work...

Cheers,

---
~!CJ