Quantcast

looking for animal quadruped avatar for opensim

looking for animal quadruped avatar for opensim

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello there,
Does anyone know where I could find a quadruped animation for animal NPCs I intend to unleash in an opensim environment?
Thanks
Ramesh

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: looking for animal quadruped avatar for opensim

Mister Blue

If Minecraft can have wandering cows, OpenSim should have wandering hippos.

On May 1, 2013 9:38 AM, "Dr Ramesh Ramloll" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello there,
Does anyone know where I could find a quadruped animation for animal NPCs I intend to unleash in an opensim environment?
Thanks
Ramesh

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040" target="_blank">208-240-0040

Re: looking for animal quadruped avatar for opensim

Storm Singer
There's a number of us who want this thing!

If I could figure out how to get a mesh to upload properly, I would definitely try to figure this out. A decent-looking animated cat NPC is one of the most important things on the list of things for my little world. But there's stuff I don't understand like broken rotations and resizing skeletons and mathematically determining the difference between the mesh's default skeleton rotations and the default shape you're using in the sim... I haven't even gotten the tutorials to work right, and I'm left wondering if maybe I broke something in the .inis when I upgraded something else. But, an improvement - Singularity doesn't totally fubar when trying to upload meshes (this really is an improvement). This increases my tolerance for the project by a logarithmic multiplier of about 500. I posted something sometime earlier about my problems, but I haven't made it back that far (eh, my school is really time-consuming, sorry).

I have a low-poly cat model I downloaded in obj, apparently I'll have to rig it with a second-life skeleton. That really doesn't seem like the hard part at this point. :(  After it's properly rigged in Blender I have to (supposedly) calculate the differences between the altered skeleton and the default skeleton - size, rotation, etc, then according to the tutorial I have to reset the skeleton because the rotations are applied within the mesh?? Then I have to get it into opensim without it going all twisty! (although twisty is better than crashed viewer any day...) Well anyway, one, two, skip a few, after I get a working quadrupedal mesh on my avatar I'll just use bvh hacker to copy the rotations of the joints from videos of cats (or other animals) in motion, since the bvh file doesn't store size of the limbs, this should work perfectly on an accurately scaled model. Of course, without an accurately sized model, I have no way to test if my animation is a good one or not. We can get videos of animals in motion from Youtube, copyright's not really an issue because of the "art" required to convert the rotations. And because some artistry will really be necessary to kern between the frames that we can see. But, that seems easy to me. I rather like the bvh hacker program. Especially in opensim, where I can try something out, update it, and try it out again for free.

For animating the quadraped, the thing that holds me back the most is the length of the legs! I can't make the default avatar's legs to be the same length as her arms. That's why I need a custom mesh. For the bvhhacker workflow I outlined above, this is actually unnecessary, but I don't like to claim a product as properly done if it's never been properly seen in action.

Sorry if I'm rambling. It's almost 0130 here and I'm at about 84 of 113 emails I need to read tonight. From this mailing list. ^.^;;

~~~
Go around! Go around!
Go around the Windmill!
Sing us a song, of storms.