Quantcast

money

12

money

Bojan Dedic
one question
How can i add money to someone in my grid ?
I was searching on opensim official webpage, and all forums, but i could't find.

Re: money

paul emery

Re: money

lamont cranston

Play money or real money?
I would suggest that there is no distinction to be made; any multigrid currency needs to have general acceptance, and, as a result will become a real currency, since someone will create a money exchange. An example of this in an MMORPG are the gold farmers of WoW.

Since there is a real world exchange rate between USD and WoW Gold, there is a calculable tax liability for purchases. (I am not aware of anyone actually paying income tax on their WoW gold, but the legal point is pretty clear.)
My point is just that *any* multiworld payment system, and potentially any single world payment system will have the tax liability issue.

This mean that all transactions are "merely" micropayment transactions, and there have been attempts at that before.
The choices appear to be which central bank to use or using a distributed system.

An off grid central bank has to validate transactions on their currency schemes and the sim operator has to be vetted;
"VirWoX has to confirm that the grid is run by a reputable operator and is safe."
Another problem is that the central bank wants to get paid
https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside

A different scheme that has a certain attraction is bitcoin,  http://www.bitcoin.org/
It has no central bank, or transaction fees. The users deal directly with each other.It seems to be a good fit.

I'm interested in hearing people who disagree with the idea...
What shortcomings do you see with bitcoin?

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 10:41 PM, paul emery <[hidden email]> wrote:
Check out these links.
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Money
http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2010/03/in-world-payments-come-to-opensim-grids/

Re: money

Bojan Dedic
Im talking about fake money, money in game, i don't want to players pay me for Game money,
there must be some command in opensim console for that , or maybe i need to change something in mysql database

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 6:12 PM, lamont cranston <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Opensimfan
i wish there was a universal monetary system.
Maybe add one to opensim and let the user/grid decide to use it or not.
How this will end up/work?  thats open for discussion.
Its just a matter of making a deal with a existing trust-worthy virtual money company.

some links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_economy
http://www.gamerates.com/
http://www.onlineforextrading.com/blog/virtual-currency-trading/
http://www.mymmoshop.com/

lets get the ball rolling :)

dutch

OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: money

lamont cranston

http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/
The bitcoin software is distributed under the MIT License (GPL compatible)
The software could be integrated into the Opensim software, along with an option for downloading other currency's support software.(unlike bitcoin, those would need to be d/l from the currency company, and the users would need to make agreements)

With  bitcoin, there is no need for the sim owner or the users to enter into any "deal" with external money companies. That, plus an open source license, make it a good fit as an  Opensim default currency.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin
http://www.mtgox.com/

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 4:46 PM, DutchGlory <[hidden email]> wrote:
i wish there was a universal monetary system.  Maybe add one to opensim and
let the user/grid decide to use it or not.  How this will end up/work?
thats open for discussion. its just a matter of making a deal with a
existing trust-worthy virtual money company.

some links
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_economy
http://www.gamerates.com/
http://www.onlineforextrading.com/blog/virtual-currency-trading/
http://www.mymmoshop.com/

lets get the ball rolling :)

dutch

-----

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Re: money

lamont cranston
The MIT license is also BSD compatible

"The MIT License is similar to the 3-clause "modified" BSD license, except that the BSD license contains a notice prohibiting the use of the name of the copyright holder in promotion. This is sometimes present in versions of the MIT License, as noted above."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MIT_License

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 5:26 PM, lamont cranston <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

James Hughes
On 02/26/2011 05:26 PM, lamont cranston wrote:

> http://sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/
> The bitcoin software is distributed under the MIT License (GPL compatible)
> The software could be integrated into the Opensim software, along with
> an option for downloading other currency's support software.(unlike
> bitcoin, those would need to be d/l from the currency company, and the
> users would need to make agreements)
>
> With  bitcoin, there is no need for the sim owner or the users to
> enter into any "deal" with external money companies. That, plus an
> open source license, make it a good fit as an  Opensim default currency.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin
> http://www.mtgox.com/

Only if we can hack the viewer to use the GPU for mining :)

Re: money

Opensimfan
This post was updated on .
no hacking.. just a honest monetary system. And bitcoin is a good possibility. With license the rules are clear.

If you can exchange bitcoins for REAL money... thats why a "trust-worthy virtual money company"
to make it fair for everyone...

Dutch..
OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: money

Marcus Alexander Link
Loom has an interesting approach and they describe their system very
graphically.
https://loom.cc/

"All Loom source code is released under the terms of the Apache License."

Marcus

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 11:59 PM, DutchGlory <[hidden email]> wrote:

> no hacking..    just a honest monetary system. And bitcoin is a good
> possibility. With license the rules are clear.
> If you exchange bitcoins for REAL money... thats why a "trust-worthy virtual
> money company"  to make it fair for everyone...
>
> dutch..
>

> -----

Re: money

Opensimfan
to complex, needs to be a actual currency witch be can exchanged, (for real money) bought, sold etc.

here a example of "Online Shopping Service for Virtual Worlds"
NOTE: Not sure if these are still active..!!!
avatarmarketplace.com

OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: money

iseki

  Hi.

  If you want to use fake money, and you used Linux/Unix, please
 check blow URL.

  http://www.nsl.tuis.ac.jp/xoops/modules/xpwiki/?OpenSim%2FMoneyServer

  Thanks.

>> Im talking about fake money, money in game, i don't want to players
>> pay me
>> for Game money,
>> there must be some command in opensim console for that , or maybe i
>> need to
>> change something in mysql database

Re: money

jeffersontwig
Hey,

Does that work with Windows too? Or do you have a windows link on hand??

Thanks

Jefferson Twig

iLifeGrid CEO/Founder

2011/2/27 <[hidden email]>

 Hi.

 If you want to use fake money, and you used Linux/Unix, please
 check blow URL.

 http://www.nsl.tuis.ac.jp/xoops/modules/xpwiki/?OpenSim%2FMoneyServer

 Thanks.

>> Im talking about fake money, money in game, i don't want to players
>> pay me
>> for Game money,
>> there must be some command in opensim console for that , or maybe i
>> need to
>> change something in mysql database

Re: money

Bojan Dedic
how to download files from GForge ?

2011/2/27 <[hidden email]>

 Hi.

 If you want to use fake money, and you used Linux/Unix, please
 check blow URL.

 http://www.nsl.tuis.ac.jp/xoops/modules/xpwiki/?OpenSim%2FMoneyServer

 Thanks.

>> Im talking about fake money, money in game, i don't want to players
>> pay me
>> for Game money,
>> there must be some command in opensim console for that , or maybe i
>> need to
>> change something in mysql database

Re: money

jeffersontwig
I mean, does it have a windows version? If so what is the link??

2011/2/27 <[hidden email]>

 Hi.

 If you want to use fake money, and you used Linux/Unix, please
 check blow URL.

 http://www.nsl.tuis.ac.jp/xoops/modules/xpwiki/?OpenSim%2FMoneyServer

 Thanks.

>> Im talking about fake money, money in game, i don't want to players
>> pay me
>> for Game money,
>> there must be some command in opensim console for that , or maybe i
>> need to
>> change something in mysql database

Re: money

iseki

  Hi.

  Sorry, we have not Windows version and GForge.

  But our Money Server does not use special functions of Linux,
so it maybe works on Windows.

  Thanks.

<AANLkTin70P_6JTgJ9zJLwnOy6hNKeYs=[hidden email]>

>> I mean, does it have a windows version? If so what is the link??
>>

>> 2011/2/27 Bojan Dedic <[hidden email]>
>>
>> > how to download files from GForge ?
>> >
>> > 2011/2/27 Jefferson Twig <[hidden email]>
>> >
>> > Hey,

Re: money

jeffersontwig
Okay thanks, It seem's really easy to use, i'll give it a shot

2011/2/27 <[hidden email]>

 Hi.

 Sorry, we have not Windows version and GForge.

 But our Money Server does not use special functions of Linux,
so it maybe works on Windows.

 Thanks.

<AANLkTin70P_6JTgJ9zJLwnOy6hNKeYs=[hidden email]>

>> I mean, does it have a windows version? If so what is the link??
>>

>> 2011/2/27 Bojan Dedic <[hidden email]>
>>
>> > how to download files from GForge ?
>> >
>> > 2011/2/27 Jefferson Twig <[hidden email]>
>> >
>> > Hey,

Re: money

Ric Moore

I dunno, what could someone possibly bring to the table that is worth
"money" compensation when all the tools we use came for free? Or, were
the people that gave the free stuff like OpenSim, idiots, who should
have charged real money for their efforts? It's like saying that as
users that our effort is worth more than theirs. It blows my mind. Ric

Linux user# 44256

Re: money

j_jamesk
Ric

i think you misunderstood.

1) this was posted in error, was an email exechange between myself and another person.

2) we are not talking about real money here, we're talking about the "fake" money module for opensim, I wanted to set it up on my opensim to teach my nephews how to build and to give them a working 3D environment with money transactions, the money has no real world value but that doesnt matter, its the actual experience of dealing with money is what i am aiming for.

Regards

James

> From: [hidden email]

> To: [hidden email]
> Date: Tue, 1 Mar 2011 03:00:04 -0500
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] money
>

> I dunno, what could someone possibly bring to the table that is worth
> "money" compensation when all the tools we use came for free? Or, were
> the people that gave the free stuff like OpenSim, idiots, who should
> have charged real money for their efforts? It's like saying that as
> users that our effort is worth more than theirs. It blows my mind. Ric

> Linux user# 44256

Re: money

Opensimfan
UPDATE:

Fount Facebook page of "Open Metaverse Economy"
http://www.facebook.com/OMEconomy/

with files and source code to add OMC$ to your Opensimulator.
http://forge.opensimulator.org/gf/project/omeconomy/frs/

how to do this.... no idea  LOL
if someone know's how, let me know.

Note: not sure if PDF manual (on forge page) is correct or complete...

thanks