need clarifiation about releases

ssm2017
hello

i am confused about releases (and im sure im not the only one)

the wiki says that the last release is 0.6.8
in 0.6.8, there are :
0.6.8
0.6.8-release
0.6.8-post-fixes
and a lot of people would take the last version in
http://dist.opensimulator.org/

the devs tell me that the last release is 0.6.9-post-fixes
when watching this page :
http://opensimulator.org/viewgit/?a=shortlog&p=opensim&h=refs/heads/0.6.9-post-fixes
i can see that the 0.6.9 last tag is r/12400 (on today)
when im saying to the devs that i am using r/12385, i have the answer
that versions > a9580eb are on master branch
https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/opensim-users/2010-March/004046.html
im not a C# or git expert so
can i say that the last 0.6.9-post-fixes release is r/12400 ?

i have a bug trying to use this "last version of 0.6.9-post-fixes"
to get it, i have done :

git clone git://opensimulator.org/git/opensim
git checkout 0.6.9-post-fixes
git pull

then i have compiled using mono 2.4.2.3

then wen running "mono OpenSim.Grid.UserServer.exe, i have an a bug

so i would like to report that bug in mantis

the mantis report issue page is only showing me as last releases :
master or 0.6.8.RC1 .....

what should i do ? report this bug as 0.6.8.RC1 ? report is as master
? report it in opensim-dev list ? go back to school ? see a doctor ?
forget about opensim ? forget about computers ? ask my mother ?

to resume : the wiki is out of date, the mantis issue report page is out of date

is the 0.6.9-post-fixes a release or just a dev experiment transition
version before 0.7 ?

can i do something with my poor knowledge to help ?

Re: need clarifiation about releases

Adelle Fitzgerald
My suggestion is to obtain the actual git# when submitting a mantis.
There is a field for this: *Git Revision.

To do so, right after you clone, checkout and pull you can run the
following command: git log -n 1 --pretty="format:%h :%ci" > bin/.version
This will enter the exact git# in the file /bin/.version, which will
also be available in-world when you go to region/estate.

You can also just run the following from command line/bash to display
within command prompt/bash: git log -n 1 --pretty="format:%h :%ci"

Adelle.

ssm2017 wrote:

> hello
>
> i am confused about releases (and im sure im not the only one)
>
> the wiki says that the last release is 0.6.8
> in 0.6.8, there are :
> 0.6.8
> 0.6.8-release
> 0.6.8-post-fixes
> and a lot of people would take the last version in
> http://dist.opensimulator.org/

As far as I'm concerned, 0.6.9 is not officially released since it has been through no testing cycle.  However, someone does need to create a new 0.6.9 tag in Mantis.

In the meantime, I would just register things against master.

> the devs tell me that the last release is 0.6.9-post-fixes
> when watching this page :
> http://opensimulator.org/viewgit/?a=shortlog&p=opensim&h=refs/heads/0.6.9-post-fixes
> i can see that the 0.6.9 last tag is r/12400 (on today)
> when im saying to the devs that i am using r/12385, i have the answer
> that versions > a9580eb are on master branch
> https://lists.berlios.de/pipermail/opensim-users/2010-March/004046.html
> im not a C# or git expert so
> can i say that the last 0.6.9-post-fixes release is r/12400 ?
>
> i have a bug trying to use this "last version of 0.6.9-post-fixes"
> to get it, i have done :
>
> git clone git://opensimulator.org/git/opensim
> git checkout 0.6.9-post-fixes
> git pull
>
> then i have compiled using mono 2.4.2.3
>
> then wen running "mono OpenSim.Grid.UserServer.exe, i have an a bug
>
> so i would like to report that bug in mantis
>
> the mantis report issue page is only showing me as last releases :
> master or 0.6.8.RC1 .....
>
> what should i do ? report this bug as 0.6.8.RC1 ? report is as master
> ? report it in opensim-dev list ? go back to school ? see a doctor ?
> forget about opensim ? forget about computers ? ask my mother ?
>
> to resume : the wiki is out of date, the mantis issue report page is out of date
>
> is the 0.6.9-post-fixes a release or just a dev experiment transition
> version before 0.7 ?
>
> can i do something with my poor knowledge to help ?

Re: need clarifiation about releases

ssm2017
thank you Adele for this info, i will use it
but the wiki and mantis should maybe be updated anyway