networking gremlin?

me-4-2
Hello!

My name is Michael Roeder; I'm a software QA engineer and a former
Linden. I've been poking at getting OpenSim running, and I've hit a
snag. (Oh, dear, oh, dear, oh, dear! What will we do?!)

I set up a build environment on a 1.42GHz Mac G4 DP running OS X
10.4.11; I'm running the Second Life viewer on a 2GHz Mac G5 DP
running OS X 10.5.6. They talk to each other on a gigabit ethernet
network. The network works; I as I was too cheap to buy another
monitor when I bought the G5, the G4 is running headless and I talk
to it over SSH, VNC, AppleShare, HTTP, and OpenSim (mostly).

I set the storage to use MySQL. When I look directly at the resulting
database, tables and data that look okay are there.

First the (mostly) good news. OpenSim seems to be (mostly) running.
Here's what SL Help says...

Second Life 1.22.11 (113976) Mar  6 2009 15:34:47 (Second Life
Release Candidate)
Release Notes
You are at 256128.0, 256128.0, 25.0 in Infernosoft located at
vroomvroom.inside.infernosoft.com (10.1.4.10:9000)
OpenSimulator Server  0.6.4.9075  (OS ) ChilTasks:True PhysPrim:True
Release Notes

I can create and see all the basic shapes. Objects persist across log-
ins. Objects persist across server restarts.
Ambient sounds play.
I can take a snapshot and save it to disk, but I cannot save it to
inventory. ( see http://web.timberwoof.com/images/Snapshot_001.jpg )
(IF I try to save it to inventory, an icon shows up, but it does not
load when I double click it.)
I can create and manipulate objects but the only textures I can apply
are plywood, blank, transparent, and the terrains. I can save them to
my inventory and retrieve them from the inventory.

Now the bad news.
My avatar is a cloud. It cannot move forward or backward; it cannot fly.
I cannot read the Welcome note or the Example Notecard: I double
click the note in the inventory. The note window opens up but it only
syas "Loading..."
I cannot open any textures (except plywood, blank, transparent
texture, and the terrains): when I double click a texture in the
Inventory window, the texture window opens and displays "Dimensions 0x0"
When I try to upload an image, everything "works" except that
displaying the image results in a 0x0 image.
I cannot edit terrain. Nothing happens to the terrain when I try.
I cannot edit scripts in objects. Clicking "New Script" causes a
script icon to appear in the object contents. But doubeclicking the
script only results in a script wndow that says "Loading...". If I
click "Reset", the object says "Primitive: Script running".

In the OpenSim console I get zillions of errors that look ilke this:
14:45:41 - [CLIENT]: Dropped Malformed Packet due to
MalformedDataException:   at OpenMetaverse.Packets.AgentUpdatePacket
+AgentDataBlock.FromBytes (System.Byte[] bytes, System.Int32& i)
[0x00000]
   at OpenMetaverse.Packets.AgentUpdatePacket.FromBytes (System.Byte
[] bytes, System.Int32& i, System.Int32& packetEnd, System.Byte[]
zeroBuffer) [0x00000]
   at OpenSim.Framework.PacketPool.GetPacket (System.Byte[] bytes,
System.Int32& packetEnd, System.Byte[] zeroBuffer) [0x00000]
   at OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.LLUDPServer.OnReceivedData
(IAsyncResult result) [0x00000]

So somebody important is not talking to somebody else important.

I tried RTFM but didn't get very far,
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/
Troubleshooting#Networking_and_config_issues
"If the client connects but the avatar can only spin in place and not
move, then the sim is not correctly configured. It completed the
initial login function, but packets are not being exchanged between
the client and the sim, probably due to a network configuration error
on the sim. "
See OpenSim: Configuration
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OpenSim:Configuration
"There is currently no text in this page, you can search for this
page title in other pages or edit this page."
(I guess I need to RTFC and then WTFM myself.)

Here's my OpenSim.ini network configuration:
[Network]
     http_listener_port = 9000
     remoting_listener_port = 8895
     default_location_x = 1000
     default_location_y = 1000

     ; ssl config: Experimental!  The auto https config only really
works definately on windows XP now
     ; you need a Cert Request/Signed pair installed in the MY store
with the CN specified below
     ; you can use https on other platforms, but you'll need to
configure the httpapi yourself for now
     http_listener_ssl = false ; Also create a SSL server
     http_listener_cn = "localhost" ; Use the cert with the common name
     http_listener_sslport = 9001 ; Use this port for SSL connections
     http_listener_ssl_cert = "" ; Currently unused, but will be used
for OSHttpServer

     ; Uncomment below to enable llRemoteData/remote channels
     ; remoteDataPort = 20800

     grid_server_url = "http://127.0.0.1:8001" ; ***
     grid_send_key = "null"
     grid_recv_key = "null"

     user_server_url = "http://127.0.0.1:8002" ; ***
     user_send_key = "null"
     user_recv_key = "null"

     asset_server_url = "http://127.0.0.1:8003" ; ***

     inventory_server_url = "http://127.0.0.1:8004" ; ***

     ; The MessagingServer is a companion of the UserServer. It uses
     ; user_send_key and user_recv_key, too
     messaging_server_url = "http://127.0.0.1:8006" ; ***

Here's my /bin/Regions/default.xml
<Root>
   <Config sim_UUID="830a8b94-d212-4708-a498-fa6947ffb0d5"
sim_name="Infernosoft" sim_location_x="1000" sim_location_y="1000"
internal_ip_address="10.1.4.10" internal_ip_port="9000"
allow_alternate_ports="false" external_host_name="10.1.4.10"
master_avatar_uuid="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
master_avatar_first="Timberwoof" master_avatar_last="Infernosoft"
master_avatar_pass="********"
lastmap_uuid="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
lastmap_refresh="1239300206" nonphysical_prim_max="0"
physical_prim_max="0" clamp_prim_size="false" object_capacity="0" />
</Root>

I tried changing this file's internal_ip_address="0.0.0.0" but the
behavior is identical.

I looked for files on the OpenSim server that would correspond to
textures and a sound I "uploaded", but I could not find any. Where
are they stored? (I found the assets folder, but that's not it.)

Re: networking gremlin?

Teravus Ovares
The following message:
"In the OpenSim console I get zillions of errors that look ilke this:
14:45:41 - [CLIENT]: Dropped Malformed Packet due to
MalformedDataException:   at OpenMetaverse.Packets.AgentUpdatePacket
+AgentDataBlock.FromBytes (System.Byte[] bytes, System.Int32& i)
[0x00000]
  at OpenMetaverse.Packets.AgentUpdatePacket.FromBytes (System.Byte
[] bytes, System.Int32& i, System.Int32& packetEnd, System.Byte[]
zeroBuffer) [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Framework.PacketPool.GetPacket (System.Byte[] bytes,
System.Int32& packetEnd, System.Byte[] zeroBuffer) [0x00000]
  at OpenSim.Region.ClientStack.LindenUDP.LLUDPServer.OnReceivedData
(IAsyncResult result) [0x00000]
"
seems to be a result of some endian issues (libOMV) in a library that
we use to process packets on the UDP connection.

Best Regards

Teravus

> [...]
> sim_name="Infernosoft" sim_location_x="1000" sim_location_y="1000"
> internal_ip_address="10.1.4.10" internal_ip_port="9000"
> allow_alternate_ports="false" external_host_name="10.1.4.10"
> master_avatar_uuid="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
> master_avatar_first="Timberwoof" master_avatar_last="Infernosoft"
> master_avatar_pass="********"
> lastmap_uuid="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
> lastmap_refresh="1239300206" nonphysical_prim_max="0"
> physical_prim_max="0" clamp_prim_size="false" object_capacity="0" />
> </Root>
>
> I tried changing this file's internal_ip_address="0.0.0.0" but the
> behavior is identical.
>
> I looked for files on the OpenSim server that would correspond to
> textures and a sound I "uploaded", but I could not find any. Where
> are they stored? (I found the assets folder, but that's not it.)

On this, it might be best to open up a Jira with libOMV at:
http://jira.openmv.org/

Best Regards

Teravus

On 4/10/09, Teravus Ovares <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> > sim_name="Infernosoft" sim_location_x="1000" sim_location_y="1000"
> > internal_ip_address="10.1.4.10" internal_ip_port="9000"
> > allow_alternate_ports="false" external_host_name="10.1.4.10"
> > master_avatar_uuid="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
> > master_avatar_first="Timberwoof" master_avatar_last="Infernosoft"
> > master_avatar_pass="********"
> > lastmap_uuid="00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000"
> > lastmap_refresh="1239300206" nonphysical_prim_max="0"
> > physical_prim_max="0" clamp_prim_size="false" object_capacity="0" />
> > </Root>
> >
> > I tried changing this file's internal_ip_address="0.0.0.0" but the
> > behavior is identical.
> >
> > I looked for files on the OpenSim server that would correspond to
> > textures and a sound I "uploaded", but I could not find any. Where
> > are they stored? (I found the assets folder, but that's not it.)

Frisby, Adam
I have a funny feeling this probably won't be the last Endian issue - but the reports are definitely appreciated in trying to get them fixed.

Adam

Ursula MATOVA
Try deleting the line corresponding to your avatar in the mysql
"appearance" table ... That solved this problem for me a few days ago.

Regards,
Ursula.

Le 11 avr. 09 à 08:55, Frisby, Adam a écrit :

> I have a funny feeling this probably won't be the last Endian issue
> - but the reports are definitely appreciated in trying to get them
> fixed.
>
> Adam

Thanks for the suggestion, Ursula. However, there was no such record
in that table. :( Moreover, that alone would not account for all the
problems I'm having ... while a problem in transferring UDP packets
would do that.

Thanks for the enouragement, Adam. Now I need to get over my usual
initial-hump and look at the code for that library. (As though as a
rusty programmer I could find the problem. ;-)