opensim binary standalone 0.8.0.1 docker file ready to go

opensim binary standalone 0.8.0.1 docker file ready to go

Giovanni De Gasperis
Dear all,

I just fixed and published my first working ‪#‎docker‬ file to ‪#‎opensim‬ binary distribution in standalone configuration.
You can test it from here:

docker pull giodegas/opensim-bin-standalone
docker run -it -p 9000:9000/udp -p 9000:9000/tcp giodegas/opensim-bin-standalone mono OpenSim.exe

but remember, just for quick testing in a hard sandboxed environment.
No persistence yet!

Cheers
Giovanni DG

Re: opensim binary standalone 0.8.0.1 docker file ready to go

Giovanni De Gasperis
Just few more words about “dockerizing" opensim….
The docker is a new way to virtualize and encaspulate a single application instead of virtualizing an entire OS and then run the app on top of it.
Also a dockerized app is sandboxed from the rest of the system (server) and uses less resources.
You can read more about docker here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Docker_(software)
The same docker file works on every platform you want to deploy it.
The image giodegas/opensim-bin-standalone has no persistence yet, but you ca easily point to external db servers. I am now working on a standalone binary images pointing to an external IP where a mysql/mariadb is running.
I keep you posted.
cheers
Giovanni DG

Re: opensim binary standalone 0.8.0.1 docker file ready to go

James Stallings II
This actually sounds pretty useful. Please do keep us informed.

Thanks Gio!

Cheers
James