opensim in-world communicating with a virtual machine

opensim in-world communicating with a virtual machine

Yahya
Hi all,

I'm currently whether it is possible for an opensim in-world object is able to communicate with a guest vm (ubuntu) that runs on the same server.

I have designed a laptop object in-world and want whenever i type something on the keyboard, it should send what I've typed to the guest vm.

If possible, what would be the best way to achieve that? using httprequests? xml rpce or c#region?

Re: opensim in-world communicating with a virtual machine

Jeff Kelley
At 11:31 AM +0100 5/13/13, warsame101 wrote:

>I'm currently whether it is possible for an opensim in-world object is able
>to communicate with a guest vm (ubuntu) that runs on the same server.

>I have designed a laptop object in-world and want whenever i type
>something on the keyboard, it should send what I've typed to the guest vm.

>If possible, what would be the best way to achieve that? using httprequests?
>xml rpce or c#region?

httprequests is the solution. You need a bit of PHP to collect POST
data and, of course, a HTTP server host-side.

-- Jeff

Re: opensim in-world communicating with a virtual machine

TwistedStickfigure
Here is a link to aid you on your quest. There are a few other examples from that site but I don't have them bookmarked.

If you are looking for interactive database that uses lsl and php.
http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2012/12/free-database-for-opensim-scripts/

Twisted Stickfigure
Twisted Labs on Osgrid

Re: opensim in-world communicating with a virtual machine

James Hughes
On 05/13/2013 06:31 AM, warsame101 wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm currently whether it is possible for an opensim in-world object is
> able to communicate with a guest vm (ubuntu) that runs on the same server.
>
> I have designed a laptop object in-world and want whenever i type
> something on the keyboard, it should send what I've typed to the guest vm.
>
> If possible, what would be the best way to achieve that? using
> httprequests? xml rpce or c#region?

Here is a small php application server made just for that. It includes a
programmable, networked teleport system with the lsl script. You can
follow the example to make other applications.

-BlueWall

Re: opensim in-world communicating with a virtual machine

TwistedStickfigure
I would very much like to see that link.  :)
Twisted Stickfigure
Twisted Labs on Osgrid

Re: opensim in-world communicating with a virtual machine

Yahya
Thanks all,

If I want to implement this method for lets say 100 users in-world, would it cause problems if I use http-requests?

Ideally, what would be more interesting is if I could embed a vnc connection to of the guest virtual machine (ubuntu) on the the opensim virtual laptop screen and have a permanent connection but from what I have read so far, OpenSim is not fully compatible with vnc embedded objects (I could be wrong).