opensim suddenly breaks

Leandro Morillas
Hello

i installed opensim on a ubuntu 32 server with mono, following instructions from the website.

we tested it with a master user and then we made 40 more users and 4 islands.

the server runs normally, but suddenly (no special message on console) mono uses 100% of CPU and stops working. The client stops at "Logging in".

Opensim console just hangs and i need to kill mono process ID, the i reboot the server and it works again.

I haven't found any resources via google, any ideas? some help please :)

Re: opensim suddenly breaks

Dirk Krause
You might experience this issue:

try entering
  MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=150
before you start
  mono OpenSim.exe

-- Dirk

Re: opensim suddenly breaks

John Sheridan
I've been having that same issue with one of my servers as well.  It
would run idle overnight and I'd wake up the next morning to find it
racing at 100% cpu and completely unresponsive via client or console.
Each time the only message on the console was the periodic diagnostic
stating the server's stats.  After a reboot it would be fine for a few
hours and then out of nowhere it would start racing again even though it
was sitting there idle with no users.  The strange thing is that all of
the servers on my grid are running the same configuration with identical
OpenSim.ini files, minus the database connection strings.  Each has the
hypergrid and stats modules enabled as well 1500 threads per cpu (not
sure if that's too much but it to date its yet to create any problems),
yet only one out of eleven seems to be doing this.

It would seem, at least for my configuration that by backing up the
config files (and the databases if you're using sqlite) then wiping out
the opensim folder and then re-copying a clean build and the config
files back in that the problem just goes away at least temporarily.  The
last time I've had to do this was Monday night after I ran my weekly
update the previous night to 8847.

Dirk Krause wrote:

> You might experience this issue:
>   http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=2946
>
> try entering
>   MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=150
> before you start
>   mono OpenSim.exe
>

> -- Dirk

John Hopkin
I don't know if this is connected, but I find (Ubuntu 8.10, Mono
2.0.1, MySQL) that the CPU runs near 100% the first time after an
upgrade.  Restart, and then it's much better.

This has happened with every upgrade - I usually take the binaries
from the OSGrid Downloads page.

John Sheridan wrote:

>I've been having that same issue with one of my servers as well.  It
>would run idle overnight and I'd wake up the next morning to find it
>racing at 100% cpu and completely unresponsive via client or console.
>Each time the only message on the console was the periodic diagnostic
>stating the server's stats.  After a reboot it would be fine for a few
>hours and then out of nowhere it would start racing again even though it
>was sitting there idle with no users.  The strange thing is that all of
>the servers on my grid are running the same configuration with identical
>OpenSim.ini files, minus the database connection strings.  Each has the
>hypergrid and stats modules enabled as well 1500 threads per cpu (not
>sure if that's too much but it to date its yet to create any problems),
>yet only one out of eleven seems to be doing this.
>
>It would seem, at least for my configuration that by backing up the
>config files (and the databases if you're using sqlite) then wiping out
>the opensim folder and then re-copying a clean build and the config
>files back in that the problem just goes away at least temporarily.  The
>last time I've had to do this was Monday night after I ran my weekly
>update the previous night to 8847.
>

>Dirk Krause wrote:
>> You might experience this issue:
>>   http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=2946
>>
>> try entering
>>   MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=150
>> before you start
>>   mono OpenSim.exe
>>

>> -- Dirk

It may be related, although in our case it doesn't happed on the first
run after an upgrade.  It seems to be a few hours afterward.  Per chance
when you upgrade do you copy the new build over the old one or just wipe
the old folder and start clean?  I wonder if maybe this is related to
something thats left inside the opensim folder between upgrades such as
the script state files?

John Hopkin wrote:

> I don't know if this is connected, but I find (Ubuntu 8.10, Mono
> 2.0.1, MySQL) that the CPU runs near 100% the first time after an
> upgrade.  Restart, and then it's much better.
>
> This has happened with every upgrade - I usually take the binaries
> from the OSGrid Downloads page.
>

> John Sheridan wrote:
>

>> I've been having that same issue with one of my servers as well.  It
>> would run idle overnight and I'd wake up the next morning to find it
>> racing at 100% cpu and completely unresponsive via client or console.
>> Each time the only message on the console was the periodic diagnostic
>> stating the server's stats.  After a reboot it would be fine for a few
>> hours and then out of nowhere it would start racing again even though it
>> was sitting there idle with no users.  The strange thing is that all of
>> the servers on my grid are running the same configuration with identical
>> OpenSim.ini files, minus the database connection strings.  Each has the
>> hypergrid and stats modules enabled as well 1500 threads per cpu (not
>> sure if that's too much but it to date its yet to create any problems),
>> yet only one out of eleven seems to be doing this.
>>
>> It would seem, at least for my configuration that by backing up the
>> config files (and the databases if you're using sqlite) then wiping out
>> the opensim folder and then re-copying a clean build and the config
>> files back in that the problem just goes away at least temporarily.  The
>> last time I've had to do this was Monday night after I ran my weekly
>> update the previous night to 8847.
>>

>> Dirk Krause wrote:
>>
>>> You might experience this issue:
>>>   http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=2946
>>>
>>> try entering
>>>   MONO_THREADS_PER_CPU=150
>>> before you start
>>>   mono OpenSim.exe
>>>

>>> -- Dirk

I do a clean install each time.  I think it's highly likely that
something left in there (or rather, not left in there after an
upgrade) is the culprit, but I don't know what it could be.

It's not region files or OpenSim.ini, by the way - I keep those in a
separate folder.