optimal size of varregion for commercial grid

optimal size of varregion for commercial grid

Erik Bainbridge (Apollo Manga)
I'm building a commercial grid that will open with 32 traditional regions.  I'm considering converting the 32 regions to varregions and am wondering two things:

1. Are varregions stable enough for a commercial grid?

2. What is the optimal size of a varregion?  I've been thinking that it's probably either 768x768 or 1024x1024.  These would be large enough to allow much more scripted travel and to reduce the overhead of having many 256x256 regions, yet small enough that even if the varregion becomes heavily loaded with scripts, prims, and bloated avatars, it should be manageable by a single CPU.

I'll appreciate any opinions you have.