osNPCSit behavior ... a comment/question

osNPCSit behavior ... a comment/question

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello,
I have this NPC that is supposed to look for a nearest chair and to sit on it. osNPCSit behaves differently based on how far the NPC is from the seat even if the OS_NPC_SIT_NOW option is used.
Actually I like the way the NPC walks to the chair if it is some distance away, but it only stands next to the chair unfortunately once it reaches it.
I need to launch the osNPCSit command a second time, for  the NPC tp sit down.
It would be cool if triggering the command only once would cause the NPC to walk to and sit on the chair.
What do others think about this? Or they may be some caveat situation that encouraged the current implementation, please share thoughts.
Thanks

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: osNPCSit behavior ... a comment/question

scotto

Out of curiosity, what path finding algorithm are you using to navigate to the chair?

Best regards,

scotto…

I have this NPC that is supposed to look for a nearest chair and to sit on it. osNPCSit behaves differently based on how far the NPC is from the seat even if the OS_NPC_SIT_NOW option is used.

Actually I like the way the NPC walks to the chair if it is some distance away, but it only stands next to the chair unfortunately once it reaches it.

I need to launch the osNPCSit command a second time, for  the NPC tp sit down.

It would be cool if triggering the command only once would cause the NPC to walk to and sit on the chair.

What do others think about this? Or they may be some caveat situation that encouraged the current implementation, please share thoughts.

Thanks

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040" target="_blank">208-240-0040

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: osNPCSit behavior ... a comment/question

This is a bug since OS_NPC_SIT_NOW should always sit immediately (now).

In fact, this is the only option available and as such is always actually used whatever you specify.

On 30/04/13 04:09, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

> Hello,
> I have this NPC that is supposed to look for a nearest chair and to sit on it. osNPCSit behaves differently based on how
> far the NPC is from the seat even if the OS_NPC_SIT_NOW option is used.
> Actually I like the way the NPC walks to the chair if it is some distance away, but it only stands next to the chair
> unfortunately once it reaches it.
> I need to launch the osNPCSit command a second time, for  the NPC tp sit down.
> It would be cool if triggering the command only once would cause the NPC to walk to and sit on the chair.
> What do others think about this? Or they may be some caveat situation that encouraged the current implementation, please
> share thoughts.
> Thanks

> 'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
> *Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate /Research Associate Professor/, Idaho State University,
> Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
> Blog <http://deepsemaphore.posterous.com/>, LinkedIn <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>, DeepSemaphore LLC
> <http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, Google+ profile <https://plus.google.com/103652369558830540272/about>

OSVW Consulting

Re: osNPCSit behavior ... a comment/question

Jeff Kelley
At 8:24 AM -0400 4/30/13, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

>The approach is trivial but looks entertaining when implemented.
>Avoid walls thru
>simple collision detecting when avatars (human driven) are absent ... and use
>position of avatars (human driven) as guides, and break out to target when
>target is withing range.

Although NPCs can drift on convex obstacles, the are trapped inside a
concave one. I use waypoints prims and a graph of connected nodes.
Pathfinding becomes a graph walk, which is a well known problem.

Did you SitTarget your chairs?

-- Jeff

Re: osNPCSit behavior ... a comment/question

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
I haven't used llSitTarget on chairs .. I was testing with prims, may be I should try that.
Yes graph traversal is a great approach. I was trying to find a way where NPCs learn from avatar navigation and use common navigation avatar 'sentier battus' as paths, as guides to use another term

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 6:32 AM, Jeff Kelley <[hidden email]> wrote:
At 8:24 AM -0400 4/30/13, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

The approach is trivial but looks entertaining when implemented. Avoid walls thru
simple collision detecting when avatars (human driven) are absent ... and use
position of avatars (human driven) as guides, and break out to target when
target is withing range.

Although NPCs can drift on convex obstacles, the are trapped inside a concave one. I use waypoints prims and a graph of connected nodes. Pathfinding becomes a graph walk, which is a well known problem.

Did you SitTarget your chairs?

-- Jeff

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: osNPCSit behavior ... a comment/question

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello,
Setting llSitTarget does make the NPC to behave as I initially expected ... it sits on prim immediately. Now I miss the walk to the seat ... guess could be fixed easily by triggering only after it is a minimum distance away from target.

On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 7:44 AM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

justincc
I tested this and the NPC code does what I would expect.  If the prim is <= 10 meters without a sit target then sit is
immediate.  If the prim is >10m away and has no sit target then nothing happens.  This mimics behaviour for an avatar,
though I think there is a good argument that it should be ignored for NPCs (sit should be possible from any location).

I suspect the behaviour you're seeing is from an older version of OpenSimulator (probably pre 0.7.5) where the same
thing would be attempted for ordinary sit attempts by users.