osSetOwnerSpeed permission werdness!

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

osSetOwnerSpeed permission werdness!

Ethan Gardener
[13:37] ava speed hud: osSetOwnerSpeed permission denied. Script creator is not in the list of users allowed to execute this function and prim owner also has no permission.

I just discovered this function, made a HUD with it... and now I'm told I'm not allowed to set my own speed multiplier with a HUD I made for myself!  There's a bug here somewhere, LOL!  Could it be a false error message; the real bug being something else?

I didn't try osSetSpeed, that's a whole other can of permissions^Wworms.

--
Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: osSetOwnerSpeed permission werdness!

Ethan Gardener
It seems to have worked once but won't work again, meaning I'm stuck moving at 0.3x normal speed and can't change it back.  I don't think I got the error message the first time.

On Thu, Dec 27, 2018, at 9:45 PM, Ethan Gardener wrote:

> [13:37] ava speed hud: osSetOwnerSpeed permission denied. Script creator
> is not in the list of users allowed to execute this function and prim
> owner also has no permission.
>
> I just discovered this function, made a HUD with it... and now I'm told
> I'm not allowed to set my own speed multiplier with a HUD I made for
> myself!  There's a bug here somewhere, LOL!  Could it be a false error
> message; the real bug being something else?
>
> I didn't try osSetSpeed, that's a whole other can of permissions^Wworms.
>
> --
> Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long --
> Ogden Nash
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


--
Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: osSetOwnerSpeed permission werdness!

Ethan Gardener
In reply to this post by Ethan Gardener
I see from the source it's ThreatLevel Moderate, why?  I don't recall any such restriction on, say, llMoveToTarget which can move your avatar around, nor a permission check either, but it has been a while.  

Wiki page:
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OsSetOwnerSpeed

Source:
http://opensimulator.org/viewgit/?a=viewblob&p=opensim&h=82afab2026301ccaa230a56c5c4c5f997b2ab8b7&f=OpenSim/Region/ScriptEngine/Shared/Api/Implementation/OSSL_Api.cs


On Thu, Dec 27, 2018, at 9:45 PM, Ethan Gardener wrote:

> [13:37] ava speed hud: osSetOwnerSpeed permission denied. Script creator
> is not in the list of users allowed to execute this function and prim
> owner also has no permission.
>
> I just discovered this function, made a HUD with it... and now I'm told
> I'm not allowed to set my own speed multiplier with a HUD I made for
> myself!  There's a bug here somewhere, LOL!  Could it be a false error
> message; the real bug being something else?
>
> I didn't try osSetSpeed, that's a whole other can of permissions^Wworms.
>
> --
> Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long --
> Ogden Nash
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users


--
Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: osSetOwnerSpeed permission werdness!

Melanie
Being able to move faster than an opponent is a distinct advantage to both griefers and rolepayers. It is a function that needs to be controlled. You can enable it for your sims if you accept the risks. - Melanie ---- On Thu, 27 Dec 2018 22:20:28 +0000¬†Ethan Gardener <[hidden email]> wrote ---- I see from the source it's ThreatLevel Moderate, why? I don't recall any such restriction on, say, llMoveToTarget which can move your avatar around, nor a permission check either, but it has been a while. Wiki page: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OsSetOwnerSpeed Source: http://opensimulator.org/viewgit/?a=viewblob&p=opensim&h=82afab2026301ccaa230a56c5c4c5f997b2ab8b7&f=OpenSim/Region/ScriptEngine/Shared/Api/Implementation/OSSL_Api.cs On Thu, Dec 27, 2018, at 9:45 PM, Ethan Gardener wrote: > [13:37] ava speed hud: osSetOwnerSpeed permission denied. Script creator > is not in the list of users allowed to execute this function and prim > owner also has no permission. > > I just discovered this function, made a HUD with it... and now I'm told > I'm not allowed to set my own speed multiplier with a HUD I made for > myself! There's a bug here somewhere, LOL! Could it be a false error > message; the real bug being something else? > > I didn't try osSetSpeed, that's a whole other can of permissions^Wworms. > > -- > Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- > Ogden Nash > _______________________________________________ > Opensim-users mailing list > [hidden email] > http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users -- Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long -- Ogden Nash _______________________________________________ Opensim-users mailing list [hidden email] http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: osSetOwnerSpeed permission werdness!

Ethan Gardener
On Fri, Dec 28, 2018, at 12:14 AM, Melanie wrote:
> Being able to move faster than an opponent is a distinct advantage to
> both griefers and rolepayers. It is a function that needs to be
> controlled. You can enable it for your sims if you accept the risks. -
> Melanie

Hm... that seems to be a point, but it's not the only way to do it.  "In no-push areas an object can only push its owner." -- http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlPushObject  So, griefers and roleplayers can still run scripts to make themselves move faster, but they just have to get their scripts from someone who's a bit smarter.  I'm sure such scripts are already widely available, but only from what amount to griefer-supply sources -- the criminals get the toys, nice people don't.  

Oh wait... you know what advice I was always given for what to do when being griefed?  Sit down.  That makes everyone else infinitely faster, speed hacks or not.  What can't a parcel|sim|estate owner do about griefers while sitting?

As for the roleplay argument, isn't that up to the game master?  In FPS games, I've known people to be banned simply because they had better hardware than the majority of the players; they could see better and maybe had less lag.  That's game masters making an even playing field regardless of technical details.
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: osSetOwnerSpeed permission werdness!

Mister Blue
By default, function permissions are conservative so that, by default,
simple region setup and use is fairly 'safe' (for some definition of 'safe'
which is what is being discussed).

It is expected that a specific region owner would tweak permissions to suit
the the region's use. The file 'bin/config-include/osslEnable.ini' allows a
region owner to change the use permissions for all the 'os' functions.
osSetOwnerSpeed defaults to only being permitted by the estate manager and
the estate owner.

On Fri, Dec 28, 2018 at 2:27 AM Ethan Gardener <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 28, 2018, at 12:14 AM, Melanie wrote:
> > Being able to move faster than an opponent is a distinct advantage to
> > both griefers and rolepayers. It is a function that needs to be
> > controlled. You can enable it for your sims if you accept the risks. -
> > Melanie
>
> Hm... that seems to be a point, but it's not the only way to do it.  "In
> no-push areas an object can only push its owner." --
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlPushObject  So, griefers and
> roleplayers can still run scripts to make themselves move faster, but they
> just have to get their scripts from someone who's a bit smarter.  I'm sure
> such scripts are already widely available, but only from what amount to
> griefer-supply sources -- the criminals get the toys, nice people don't.
>
> Oh wait... you know what advice I was always given for what to do when
> being griefed?  Sit down.  That makes everyone else infinitely faster,
> speed hacks or not.  What can't a parcel|sim|estate owner do about griefers
> while sitting?
>
> As for the roleplay argument, isn't that up to the game master?  In FPS
> games, I've known people to be banned simply because they had better
> hardware than the majority of the players; they could see better and maybe
> had less lag.  That's game masters making an even playing field regardless
> of technical details.
> _______________________________________________
> Opensim-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
>
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
http://opensimulator.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users