osTeleportAgent. Allowed threat level ...

osTeleportAgent. Allowed threat level ...

Opensimfan
for osTeleportAgent, why do you need a Severe threat level?  its not a dangerous function...
REGION TO REGION TP : Runtime error:
(0): OSSL Runtime Error: osTeleportAgent permission denied.  Allowed threat level is VeryHigh but function threat level is Severe.

OpenSimFan
OpenSimFan

My Opensim/Second Life Blog
http://verwijs.wordpress.com

(Dutch, basic hardware/software help windows, Mac, Linux)
http://verwijs-pc.nl

My Twitter Page:
http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan

My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: osTeleportAgent. Allowed threat level ...

aiaustin
At 11:00 31/01/2012, [hidden email] wrote:
>for osTeleportAgent, why do you need a Severe threat level?  its not a
>dangerous function...

Its a pain with changing its status level as well.  If its necessary
then fair enough, otherwise it could stick to its original level.
everyone will need advising of it for the l.7.2 to 0.7.3 upgrade. I
added it as a name function allowed in all our sims. But we need to
get others to amend their opensim.ini too or many hypergates will all
start failing.

Re: osTeleportAgent. Allowed threat level ...

Opensimfan

I always have thread level at "VeryHigh"  and osTeleportAgent did work for me.
this page OSSL Enabling Functions told me  it was set to "High",  but i found the aswer here:

mantis #5866  (resolved issue..!!)

The threat level has been changed to severe by commit
43173f1b0d80eee8589b9e506a5fdb5cfe92cc06
I have updated http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OsTeleportAgent [^] to reflect this.

sorry, missed that one

I  don't want to use thread level "Severe",  thats asking for trouble..!!

is it possible to allow osTeleportAgent for group members only? (my group),
this way i can control it.  or use "OsTeleportOwner" Thread level: none  (as far i could find)

André Verwijs - Google+

Re: osTeleportAgent. Allowed threat level ...

James Stallings II
There are other ways around the issue, you don't have to set region-wide threat-level to use the function. Just use the 'allow_osFunction' syntax (e.g., allow_osTeleportAgent = USER_UUID).

this page  http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OSSL_Enabling_Functions OSSL

http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=5866 mantis #5866   (resolved
issue..!!)

/The threat level has been changed to severe by commit
43173f1b0d80eee8589b9e506a5fdb5cfe92cc06
I have updated http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OsTeleportAgent [^] to reflect
this./

sorry, missed that one

I  don't want to use thread level "Severe",  thats asking for trouble..!!

is it possible to allow osTeleportAgent for group members only? (my group),
this way i can control it.  or use
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/OsTeleportOwner "OsTeleportOwner"  Thread
level: none  (as far i could find)

-----
.

My Google+ page (follow me please )
André Verwijs - Google+

Re: osTeleportAgent. Allowed threat level ...

- Why are there concerns about teleporting avatars around "against their will"

- What is the issue with osTeleport Agent .. How to teleport Avatars around in any other way ? ; what if i want
to have a Teleportfunction in a prim... i thought this is/was the way to Teleport around?

- and is it just for HG jumps or also for osTeleportAgent calls within my regions ?

best regards,
(a puzzled)  Wordfromthe Wise

[...]

Hello List,

(mayby) i do not full yunderstand the whole issue .. I asked in IRC and get repsonse that "it has to be set to SEVERE
also as of the .ini this is DANGEROUS"  but the fundamental question(s) are:

- Why do we have to set the threat level to severe to have osTeleportAgent working
- Why was osTeleportOwner was introduced ? - What was/is the need for it ?

I was told i should find another way around one that doesn't require the ability to teleport avatars around against their will.
i was also told it was changed "to discourage it's use as it's really extremely disruptive"

Re: osTeleportAgent. Allowed threat level ...

best regards,
Wordfromthe Wise

[...]

i just learned (Thanks to DanBanner) that the idea was to not allow osTelportAgent for all people that can
create/run scripts on your regions to e.g. "send" people away.

So the thing is to only allow
Allow_osTeleportAgent = YOURUUID (or uuid1,uuid2 - or for any other function you like to restrict)
instead of Allow_osTeleportAgent = true to everybody.

This way one can leave the ThreadLevel set to veryLow

Here is a PasteBin that has all the new osGetGrid* and osNpc* functions in it : http://pastebin.com/jgE2W1MY
<A class=chatzilla-link href="irc://freenode/danbanner,isnick">add that to the [Xengine] section and set true/false/PARCE_OWNER/uuid as needed

Re: osTeleportAgent. Allowed threat level ...

Chris Kennedy-2
I'm pretty sure it's to keep potential griefers from abusing the
function and making a mass random teleporter and flinging people around
all over the place.

On 1/30/2012 1:39 PM, OpenSimFan wrote:

> for osTeleportAgent, why do you need a Severe threat level?  its not a
> dangerous function...
>

> OpenSimFan
>

> -----
> OpenSimFan
> My Opensim/Second Life Blog
> http://verwijs.wordpress.com
> (Dutch, basic hardware/software help  windows, Mac, Linux)
> http://verwijs-pc.nl
> My Twitter Page:
> http://twitter.com/OpenSimFan
> My Facebook page (be my friend, please )
> http://www.facebook.com/andre.verwijs
> .

OpenSim: 9 Region Standalone on 0.7.3 Dev
Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
OS: Windows XP 32 Bit
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz
Memory: 3 GB DDR3
Database: MySQL 5.1.11

Re: osTeleportAgent. Allowed threat level ...

Fleep Tuque
I can understand worries about griefers, but unfortunately requiring that the object owner and parcel owner be the same for osTeleportAgent to work makes it useless for collaborative building.  I hire students to build so I don't have to futz with every little detail, I'm not going to log in every time they need a simple teleporter set, that's just silly.

I don't understand why it can't work just like Second Life where the permission to build on the land is the control rather than a limitation on the function itself.

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

http://ucsim.uc.edu

On Wed, Feb 1, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Chris <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Miller, Peter

Re SL, I suspect the equivalent forced teleport will fall within the scope of the new creators program.

"To prevent abuse of these tools, we will introduce a "creators" program in which verified members will be given access to these very powerful capabilities." Rodvik Linden's end-of-year blog in the context of Linden Realms toolset.

So non-standard there too.

Best wishes

Peter

Re: osTeleportAgent. Allowed threat level ...

Rick Anderson
I agree with Fleep on this. Typically in SL, I created a group, deeded
the land to the group, and in that group given contractors, admins
these kinds of powers.

-Rick

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Miller, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Re SL, I suspect the equivalent forced teleport will fall within the scope
> of the new creators program.
>

> "To prevent abuse of these tools, we will introduce a "creators" program in
> which verified members will be given access to these very powerful
> capabilities." Rodvik Linden's end-of-year blog in the context of Linden
> Realms toolset.
>

> So non-standard there too.
>

> Best wishes
>

> Peter
>
> ________________________________

Rick Anderson
Director of Virtual Worlds
Division of Continuing Studies (DoCS)
Rutgers University
(732) 586-3265

Re: osTeleportAgent. Allowed threat level ...

Shaun T. Erickson
You can allow osTeleportAgent to work for groups too, I believe. Michelle added a number of different ways that permissions for this function could be set, which were not getting used because the hard coding of it to only work for the land owner was overriding it, which is why I advocated for that restriction's removal. Saying who can use it is actually very flexible now.

-ste

On Feb 3, 2012, at 10:26 AM, Rick Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with Fleep on this. Typically in SL, I created a group, deeded
> the land to the group, and in that group given contractors, admins
> these kinds of powers.
>
> -Rick
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Miller, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Re SL, I suspect the equivalent forced teleport will fall within the scope
>> of the new creators program.
>>

>> "To prevent abuse of these tools, we will introduce a "creators" program in
>> which verified members will be given access to these very powerful
>> capabilities." Rodvik Linden's end-of-year blog in the context of Linden
>> Realms toolset.
>>

>> So non-standard there too.
>>

>> Best wishes
>>

>> Peter
>>
>> ________________________________

Hmm ok, maybe the documentation on the wiki is just out of date?

" For osTeleportAgent() to work, the owner of the prim containing the script must be the same as the parcel that the avatar is currently on. If this isn't the case then the function fails silently. "

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Shaun Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can allow osTeleportAgent to work for groups too, I believe. Michelle added a number of different ways that permissions for this function could be set, which were not getting used because the hard coding of it to only work for the land owner was overriding it, which is why I advocated for that restriction's removal. Saying who can use it is actually very flexible now.

-ste

On Feb 3, 2012, at 10:26 AM, Rick Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with Fleep on this. Typically in SL, I created a group, deeded
> the land to the group, and in that group given contractors, admins
> these kinds of powers.
>
> -Rick
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Miller, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Re SL, I suspect the equivalent forced teleport will fall within the scope
>> of the new creators program.
>>

>> "To prevent abuse of these tools, we will introduce a "creators" program in
>> which verified members will be given access to these very powerful
>> capabilities." Rodvik Linden's end-of-year blog in the context of Linden
>> Realms toolset.
>>

>> So non-standard there too.
>>

>> Best wishes
>>

>> Peter
>>
>> ________________________________

Gudule Lapointe
Not out of date, just ambiguous.

I confirm I have a handful of teleporters on group-owned land, and teleporters are deeded to the same group, and they work fine.

Actually, they comply with the rule you mention: owner is the same. It's just not told that owner can be a group.

--
Speculoos, the belgian cookie-flavored metaverse

Le 3 févr. 2012 à 19:22, Fleep Tuque a écrit :

Hmm ok, maybe the documentation on the wiki is just out of date?

" For osTeleportAgent() to work, the owner of the prim containing the script must be the same as the parcel that the avatar is currently on. If this isn't the case then the function fails silently. "

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 11:30 AM, Shaun Erickson <[hidden email]> wrote:
You can allow osTeleportAgent to work for groups too, I believe. Michelle added a number of different ways that permissions for this function could be set, which were not getting used because the hard coding of it to only work for the land owner was overriding it, which is why I advocated for that restriction's removal. Saying who can use it is actually very flexible now.

-ste

On Feb 3, 2012, at 10:26 AM, Rick Anderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I agree with Fleep on this. Typically in SL, I created a group, deeded
> the land to the group, and in that group given contractors, admins
> these kinds of powers.
>
> -Rick
>
> On Fri, Feb 3, 2012 at 10:00 AM, Miller, Peter <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Re SL, I suspect the equivalent forced teleport will fall within the scope
>> of the new creators program.
>>

>> "To prevent abuse of these tools, we will introduce a "creators" program in
>> which verified members will be given access to these very powerful
>> capabilities." Rodvik Linden's end-of-year blog in the context of Linden
>> Realms toolset.
>>

>> So non-standard there too.
>>

>> Best wishes
>>

>> Peter

Yes, the doc is probably out of date - the condition you mentioned below is no longer enforced in dev code (and so won't
be in 0.7.3).

This is because the facilities to control who can call certain os functions, as smxy mentioned, has been improved.  The
effective documentation for this is in the [XEngine] section of OpenSim.ini.example - I don't know if a clearer
explanation has made it onto the wiki yet.

osTeleportAgent is something one has to be very careful with as you can imagine the chaos if anybody were allowed to
call it.  Therefore, I think it makes sense to give it the highest 'threat' level.

http://justincc.org/blog