osprofile module - advice?

aiaustin
I have been doing some preliminary tests of adding in the osprofile
module to make avatar profiles work on my grid.  ASnd I am
confused... as well as not having got it working.  I am sure its
simple as others seem to have it fine in their setups.  But any
pointers would be appreciated to save some time...

1. Is there a known good version which works in 0.7?  There seems to
be the sourceforge version from melanie, and an xoopensim version
that suggests it fixes issues in running with 0.7.  The data bases
created by these two setups are quite different, so I assume they are
not compatible which seems a big pity.

2. I also wonder if osprofile can be added in alone, or if some other
module such as ossearch is required as well?  I ask as I had some
messages along the way saying serarch was not enabled when I tried to
"apply" an update the user profile.

3. I also see some mantis entries suggesting that core OpenSim needs
to populate the profile databases with the avatar UUID and DOB.  If
that is so how does it know what DB to use... I ask as the setup
instructions seem to imply a separate database "osmodules" should be
used, and I did that - so its separate to my main opensim database,
though on the same db server.  Is that a problem, and should I start
afresh and add the osprofile tables directly into the same database
as my main opensim content?

4. Our main web server PHP version is 5.1.4 by the way, and its
difficult to get that updated due to safety concerns by our system
admins. Is this a known issue and does osprofile reuiqre a later
version of PHP?  I see a mantis entry for an errore I ma getting at
http://opensimulator.org/mantis/view.php?id=4798 that suggests it was
fixed by using a later version of PHP which is why I ask.

Re: osprofile module - advice?

Bernd
Hi Ai,
i use the OS Version 0.7.x and osprofile.

For me it works without error. I can use all the profiles. I have heard from
other grid operators about the problems with osprofile.
I once put on my page my working version.
Modules + PHP + SQL Files

http://www.germangrid.de/download/Profile_und_Search.zip

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----

Re: osprofile module - advice?

Easy gave me access to a zip ansd we are tryig that... But on first
sigt the same issues arise..

a) notes work on self and others

b) I get ONE pick for an avatar, but second pick does not enter

c) I cannot get anything (even simple about text) to go into the main
userprofile. It just doe snot create the data base record.

Does this sound familiar to anyone?  I must be doing something simple wrongly.

Re: osprofile module - advice?

One thing I find odd is that osprofile is enabled on a per
OpenSim.exe basis for specfic regions.  On a grid I would have
thought it out to be a Robust service?

Re: osprofile module - advice?

Jor3l Boa
I still dont get why this modules are not bundled or part of the core of OpenSimulator (groups, profile, IM and money maybe). I can help to mantain a PHP for each version but I think something inside the core is better

2010/8/27 Ai Austin <[hidden email]>
One thing I find odd is that osprofile is enabled on a per OpenSim.exe basis for specfic regions.  On a grid I would have thought it out to be a Robust service?

2-Wide Region Restriction?

Ben Faust
I'm running a stand-alone grid on Linux Fedora using the latest build.
Currently, I have 10 regions setup. I set the locations so they would
form a 3-wide set (3 x 3 plus 1); however, they came in 2-wide, ignoring
the locations I set in the Regions.ini file. I then added one region
before the others (location-wise)... Instead of putting it where I
specified, it pushed all the other regions forward on the 2-wide matrix.

Is there any way to change the settings so it displays the regions
exactly where I tell it to, instead of in this two-wide forced matrix?
Or am I the only one who's encountered this?

Re: osprofile module - advice?

M.E. Verhagen
I have also got the nhl profile and the search. (a bit different though, but very similar.)

I think this is the way it can be done (omg who wants an virtual world without a profile and search ?), but it certainly is not the way it should be done.

The both are made like addon-modules and working with php scripts to update the database. The php scripts require a apache server to be running. I bet most of us run the apache on the same machine opensim is running on.

I think the search and the profile should indeed be hooked as robust services. I think there is nobody who has written the SearchServer, the ProfileServer and the coresponing database wrappers. I bet the people working on these modules have invested their time in getting it to run with the latest opensim releases.

Re: 2-Wide Region Restriction?

Karen Palen
Did you start with a 2X2 wide and then add regions?

I am tracking an issue that arises when you add new regions AFTER the initial setup. I have not yet ruled out something that I am doing wrong, but it does appear that adding regions after your initial setup has some sort of problem.

Karen

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Ben Faust <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm running a stand-alone grid on Linux Fedora using the latest build. Currently, I have 10 regions setup. I set the locations so they would form a 3-wide set (3 x 3 plus 1); however, they came in 2-wide, ignoring the locations I set in the Regions.ini file. I then added one region before the others (location-wise)... Instead of putting it where I specified, it pushed all the other regions forward on the 2-wide matrix.

Is there any way to change the settings so it displays the regions exactly where I tell it to, instead of in this two-wide forced matrix? Or am I the only one who's encountered this?

Re: 2-Wide Region Restriction?

Karen Palen
Let me try this on my setup and see if I can reproduce it!

This sounds like it may be a Mantis issue!

Karen

On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Ben Faust <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Diva Canto
for megaregions, there is a specific order by which you need to specify
the regions in RegionConfig.ini. See
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Setting_Up_Mega-Regions

Karen Palen wrote:

> Let me try this on my setup and see if I can reproduce it!
>
> This sounds like it may be a Mantis issue!
>
> Karen
>
> On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 1:11 PM, Ben Faust <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Yes... I installed it using the Configure.exe, and it set up a 2x2
>     of 4 regions. I later edited the Regions.ini file and manually added
>     more regions.
>

>     On 8/27/2010 3:53 PM, Karen Palen wrote:
>>     Did you start with a 2X2 wide and then add regions?
>>
>>     I am tracking an issue that arises when you add new regions AFTER
>>     the initial setup. I have not yet ruled out something that I am
>>     doing wrong, but it does appear that adding regions after your
>>     initial setup has some sort of problem.
>>
>>     Karen
>>
>>     On Fri, Aug 27, 2010 at 11:18 AM, Ben Faust <[hidden email]
>>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>         I'm running a stand-alone grid on Linux Fedora using the
>>         latest build. Currently, I have 10 regions setup. I set the
>>         locations so they would form a 3-wide set (3 x 3 plus 1);
>>         however, they came in 2-wide, ignoring the locations I set in
>>         the Regions.ini file. I then added one region before the
>>         others (location-wise)... Instead of putting it where I
>>         specified, it pushed all the other regions forward on the
>>         2-wide matrix.
>>
>>         Is there any way to change the settings so it displays the
>>         regions exactly where I tell it to, instead of in this
>>         two-wide forced matrix? Or am I the only one who's encountered
>>         this?

Re: osprofile module - advice?

On 27/08/10 15:08, Ai Austin wrote:

> I have been doing some preliminary tests of adding in the osprofile
> module to make avatar profiles work on my grid. ASnd I am confused... as
> well as not having got it working. I am sure its simple as others seem
> to have it fine in their setups. But any pointers would be appreciated
> to save some time...
>
> 1. Is there a known good version which works in 0.7? There seems to be
> the sourceforge version from melanie, and an xoopensim version that
> suggests it fixes issues in running with 0.7. The data bases created by
> these two setups are quite different, so I assume they are not
> compatible which seems a big pity.

 From what I hear, osprofiles only works with 0.6.9 right now, not 0.7 (I'm guessing Easy made his own changes...).
However, I know there was talk with Plugh on IRC that he might take a look at it.  And it might be worth looking at
Easy's chamges.

Re: osprofile module - advice?

John Sheridan
I'd share the profile module I built, but its horribly messy and highly
unfinished.  As well it bypasses the whole http server as a datasource
concept and just talks directly to a central mysql database, hence it
wouldn't likely fit into your architecture.  But as a pointer, take a
look at the profiles connector in the Simian section of the core
connector's module (OpenSim.Services.Connectors.SimianGrid).   The
framework and hookups are already laid out, its just a matter of coding
out a bit of the logic and hooking it into a datasource.

On 08/27/2010 10:12 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> On 27/08/10 15:08, Ai Austin wrote:
>> I have been doing some preliminary tests of adding in the osprofile
>> module to make avatar profiles work on my grid. ASnd I am confused... as
>> well as not having got it working. I am sure its simple as others seem
>> to have it fine in their setups. But any pointers would be appreciated
>> to save some time...
>>
>> 1. Is there a known good version which works in 0.7? There seems to be
>> the sourceforge version from melanie, and an xoopensim version that
>> suggests it fixes issues in running with 0.7. The data bases created by
>> these two setups are quite different, so I assume they are not
>> compatible which seems a big pity.
>
> From what I hear, osprofiles only works with 0.6.9 right now, not 0.7
> (I'm guessing Easy made his own changes...). However, I know there was
> talk with Plugh on IRC that he might take a look at it.  And it might
> be worth looking at Easy's chamges.

Re Hatching: Real life Terrain

InuYasha Meiji
I asked this before, and I did get a good reply from a user on the list
named, Marcus Llewellyn.  His links helped, and I was able to find the
srtm data I wanted from a file called srtm_62_07.zip.  I realize this is
not the best in resolution.  but I want to find out for sure.  Has
anyone found a way to get accurate land elevations to a real life
scale.  Or is everyone that uses SRTM (Shuttle Radar Topology Maps) or
GIS to make region height maps only making mini model scaled down
versions of the real life land scapes?

I was hoping for a real life 1:1 of the land elevations of a mile to fit
a 7x7 equal to a 1792 x 1792 area with Shuri Castle in it's center.
Yes, Shuri Castle, Okinawa, Japan.

Any ideas on how to do this for open sim?  I don't want to make a mini
model of the entire Ryukyu Island chain.  I only want the area with the
Castle at the 130 meters above sea level and the rivers, lakes and ponds
of the area around it.  From what I read, it seems like it might be
impossible, but I may have misunderstood.

Thanks for your time on this.  I wanted to know before my eyes fall out
searching the net.  ;)

Re: Re Hatching: Real life Terrain

Diva Canto
I do real terrains from DEM files, 1:1. I have a converter, it's just
not very friendly to use, and I don't answer questions about how to use
it. But here's the link:

http://www.ics.uci.edu/~lopes/terraingen/

InuYasha Meiji wrote:

> I asked this before, and I did get a good reply from a user on the list
> named, Marcus Llewellyn.  His links helped, and I was able to find the
> srtm data I wanted from a file called srtm_62_07.zip.  I realize this is
> not the best in resolution.  but I want to find out for sure.  Has
> anyone found a way to get accurate land elevations to a real life
> scale.  Or is everyone that uses SRTM (Shuttle Radar Topology Maps) or
> GIS to make region height maps only making mini model scaled down
> versions of the real life land scapes?
> I was hoping for a real life 1:1 of the land elevations of a mile to fit
> a 7x7 equal to a 1792 x 1792 area with Shuri Castle in it's center.
> Yes, Shuri Castle, Okinawa, Japan.
>
> Any ideas on how to do this for open sim?  I don't want to make a mini
> model of the entire Ryukyu Island chain.  I only want the area with the
> Castle at the 130 meters above sea level and the rivers, lakes and ponds
> of the area around it.  From what I read, it seems like it might be
> impossible, but I may have misunderstood.
>
> Thanks for your time on this.  I wanted to know before my eyes fall out
> searching the net.  ;)

Re: osprofile module - advice?

At 05:01 28/08/2010, [hidden email] wrote:
> From what I hear, osprofiles only works with 0.6.9 right now, not
> 0.7 (I'm guessing Easy made his own changes...).
>However, I know there was talk with Plugh on IRC that he might take
>a look at it.  And it might be worth looking at
>Easy's chamges.

Easy, did you alter things to make this work.  It looks to me like
its nearly working as I do get notes between profiles saved with the
zip file you provided. The same occurs with the versions pointed at
from the OpenSim wiki for Webinterface. Did you make any changes to
get a version working with 0.7?  Or should I assume this is
non-functional for 0.7 at present and not waste any time trying to
test and re-configure it more?

It would be good to identify a number of key modules which really
could do to be directly supported by (optional) modules that work
directly with the database rather than requiring the setup of a
number of separate external services.  The obvious ones are:

groups support
offline IM delivery for individuals and groups
profiles
others?

Re: osprofile module - advice?

Ben Faust
I'd like to know about this too. I tried that zip file, but I'm running
0.7, and I guess that's why it's not working... ?

On 8/28/2010 6:45 AM, Ai Austin wrote:

> At 05:01 28/08/2010, [hidden email] wrote:
>> From what I hear, osprofiles only works with 0.6.9 right now, not 0.7
>> (I'm guessing Easy made his own changes...).
>> However, I know there was talk with Plugh on IRC that he might take a
>> look at it.  And it might be worth looking at
>> Easy's chamges.
>
> Easy, did you alter things to make this work.  It looks to me like its
> nearly working as I do get notes between profiles saved with the zip
> file you provided. The same occurs with the versions pointed at from
> the OpenSim wiki for Webinterface. Did you make any changes to get a
> version working with 0.7?  Or should I assume this is non-functional
> for 0.7 at present and not waste any time trying to test and
> re-configure it more?
>
> It would be good to identify a number of key modules which really
> could do to be directly supported by (optional) modules that work
> directly with the database rather than requiring the setup of a number
> of separate external services.  The obvious ones are:
>
> groups support
> offline IM delivery for individuals and groups
> profiles
> others?

Re: osprofile module - advice?

Gwyneth Llewelyn
In my case, unfortunately, osprofile requires PHP to be compiled with XML-RPC, which it isn't on my (shared) server. I'm patiently trying to port the whole code to use the popular (and intensely tested!) Incutio XML-RPC which comes bundled with Wordpress. Sadly, I haven't had any luck so far...

On 2010/08/27, at 17:30, Jor3l Boa wrote:

I still dont get why this modules are not bundled or part of the core of OpenSimulator (groups, profile, IM and money maybe). I can help to mantain a PHP for each version but I think something inside the core is better

I think that's because all this functionality comes with SimianGrid (http://code.google.com/p/openmetaverse/wiki/SimianGrid), a replacement of the ROBUST servers that is fully written in PHP, and adds all that functionality and much, much more :) I'm eager to try it out myself :)

- Gwyn

--

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."

  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

"I'm not building a game. I'm building a new country."
  -- Philip "Linden" Rosedale, interview to Wired, 2004-05-08

Re: osprofile module - advice?

>From: Ben Faust <[hidden email]>
>I'd like to know about this too. I tried that zip file, but I'm running
>0.7, and I guess that's why it's not working... ?

My experience is the following with the osprofile module.  I get
identical effects with 3 versions tried from source forge, an updated
version from xoopensim and Easy's zipped version.  But note that each
has different data base tables!  So make sure you match the tables
you create with the version you use!

a) I needed an up to date PHP on the web server or it did not work at all

b) notes on your own profile or friends profiles worked fine and were
stored and retrieved. This confirmed that the basic PHP link to
OpenSim works fine anyway.

c) ONE pick landmark was stored per avatar, but a second one could not be.

d) No main profile entries were stored.. the table row was not create
when trying any changes to the profile field.. even a simple
description text entry, or the web URL.  The profile picture was not
kept when tried either.

It would be good if someone knows if osprofile (any version)  is a NO
NO at this stage in 0.7 to save everyone time?  Or point folks at a
version known to work?

Land properties loading issue

Ben Faust
  Fedora Linux stand-alone version 0.7... When moving from one parcel to
another, the new parcel's name and audio settings don't load. I changed
the audio stream for an entire region, but it retained the root region's
stream. Is this a known issue, or is it user error?