packet handling

enauman
Is there a significant difference in the way Opensim/Diva 0.7.2 handles data packets compared to earlier versions? I do a project every few months and this last time--I *think* the first time since I upgraded to 0.7.2 (Diva r16915)--we had problems handling the bandwidth for the same type of activity and number of accounts connecting. Our sim is on a local server but NATted through the firewall so they can also have external access. They are not doing too much packet-intensive work, moderate building and occasional avatar edits. I know many variables are involved so there may be no way of knowing why we were maxed out, but I know this time around a couple other students in the school downloading big files could bring our class to a stop.

Thanks,
Erik

Re: packet handling

justincc
The amount of bandwidth required is dominated by texture downloading - the actual amount required for udp packet
movement is comparatively small.  However, response and the quality of the connection is very important.  It might be
that large downloads are crowding out udp traffic though I'm not an expert in this area.

As for the packet handling itself, I doubt much would have changed between 0.7.1.1 and 0.7.2, though to be honest this
is way too far back for me to remember :).  0.7.3 introduces a default setting which should make the connection more
reliable.

On 02/03/12 11:34, enauman wrote:

> Is there a significant difference in the way Opensim/Diva 0.7.2 handles data
> packets compared to earlier versions? I do a project every few months and
> this last time--I *think* the first time since I upgraded to 0.7.2 (Diva
> r16915)--we had problems handling the bandwidth for the same type of
> activity and number of accounts connecting. Our sim is on a local server but
> NATted through the firewall so they can also have external access. They are
> not doing too much packet-intensive work, moderate building and occasional
> avatar edits. I know many variables are involved so there may be no way of
> knowing why we were maxed out, but I know this time around a couple other
> students in the school downloading big files could bring our class to a
> stop.
>
> Thanks,
> Erik

http://justincc.org/blog

Re: packet handling

enauman
Well, woohoo! I just saw that Diva has an update based on 0.7.3 so it will be interesting to see if that makes a difference.
Thanks!