poll:favorite virtual world platform

12

poll:favorite virtual world platform

JaniP
Hi,

I hope not to start a flame war, but to find out how many people are using a given platform.

If you know other relevant places to forward this poll, please do so because it helps to improve the quality of the results. I'll write about the results and your comments to http://maxping.org after a while.

Best regards,
Jani

Re: poll:favorite virtual world platform

Impalah Shenzhou
I have two doubts:

http://www.polladium.com/voxbox/ThomKing

Who were the hackers (crackers)? Where was the hackings?

Greetings

2009/5/20 Jani Pirkola <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I hope not to start a flame war, but to find out how many people are using a given platform.

If you know other relevant places to forward this poll, please do so because it helps to improve the quality of the results. I'll write about the results and your comments to http://maxping.org after a while.

Best regards,
Jani

Re: poll:favorite virtual world platform

Dr Scofield
Impalah wrote:
> I have two doubts:
>
> http://www.polladium.com/voxbox/ThomKing
>
> Who were the hackers (crackers)? Where was the hackings?

the only thing i can think of is this year's april 1 joke, which surprised a
number of our users (i.e., those that both had not been on the OpenSim train
long enough to remember the previous april 1 jokes and also were expecting trunk
to be production quality --- WHICH IT'S NOT, i hasten to say).

other than that? no clue.

        DrS

> Greetings
>

> 2009/5/20 Jani Pirkola <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I hope not to start a flame war, but to find out how many people are
>     using a given platform.
>     http://www.polladium.com/poll.php?poll_id=1&location_id=25227
>     <http://www.polladium.com/poll.php?poll_id=1&location_id=25227>
>
>     If you know other relevant places to forward this poll, please do so
>     because it helps to improve the quality of the results. I'll write
>     about the results and your comments to http://maxping.org after a while.
>
>     Best regards,
>     Jani

dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: poll:favorite virtual world platform

Kris Bulman
ThomKing was indeed the alias used during the mailing list email fiasco titled "you a**holes lost our funding", so I would take that as a confirmation on the "malicious code" / April fools reference.

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Dr Scofield <[hidden email]> wrote:
Impalah wrote:
> I have two doubts:
>
> http://www.polladium.com/voxbox/ThomKing
>
> Who were the hackers (crackers)? Where was the hackings?

the only thing i can think of is this year's april 1 joke, which surprised a
number of our users (i.e., those that both had not been on the OpenSim train
long enough to remember the previous april 1 jokes and also were expecting trunk
to be production quality --- WHICH IT'S NOT, i hasten to say).

other than that? no clue.

       DrS

> Greetings
>

> 2009/5/20 Jani Pirkola <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I hope not to start a flame war, but to find out how many people are
>     using a given platform.
>     http://www.polladium.com/poll.php?poll_id=1&location_id=25227
>     <http://www.polladium.com/poll.php?poll_id=1&location_id=25227>
>
>     If you know other relevant places to forward this poll, please do so
>     because it helps to improve the quality of the results. I'll write
>     about the results and your comments to http://maxping.org after a while.
>
>     Best regards,
>     Jani

dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: poll:favorite virtual world platform

Dickson, Mike (ISS Software)
You really want to open that up again.  I'm pretty sure this is a
reference to the April 1st stuff.

Mike

On Mon, 2009-05-25 at 15:31 +0000, Impalah wrote:

> I have two doubts:
>
> http://www.polladium.com/voxbox/ThomKing
>
> Who were the hackers (crackers)? Where was the hackings?
>
> Greetings
>

> 2009/5/20 Jani Pirkola <[hidden email]>
>         Hi,
>

>         I hope not to start a flame war, but to find out how many
>         people are using a given platform.
>         http://www.polladium.com/poll.php?poll_id=1&location_id=25227
>

>         If you know other relevant places to forward this poll, please
>         do so because it helps to improve the quality of the results.
>         I'll write about the results and your comments to
>         http://maxping.org after a while.
>

>         Best regards,
>         Jani

Re: poll:favorite virtual world platform

Thom King

You can find some discussion that the criminal hackers have not yet suppressed or censored here:  http://imohax.com/2009/04/01/opensim-youre-losin-me-punking-is-for-punks/         The despicable criminals are trying to suppress any knowledge of their malicious code and criminal activities.

Re: poll:favorite virtual world platform

Thom King

The malicious code was in the recommended release code, not just "Trunk".
The lie that the malicious code was only in trunk is one of the despicable lies that the criminals are using to try to cover up their criminal hacking activity.
Some of the criminals acts of suppression and censorship are mentioned in the discussion here:

http://imohax.com/2009/04/01/opensim-youre-losin-me-punking-is-for-punks/

I am not an "Alias", and I suspect that you are one of the despicable criminals who attacked our project with your malicious code.  I will make sure you are hunted down with the rest of the hackers "Kris Bulman".

Impalah wrote:
> I have two doubts:
>
> http://www.polladium.com/voxbox/ThomKing
>
> Who were the hackers (crackers)? Where was the hackings?

the only thing i can think of is this year's april 1 joke, which surprised a
number of our users (i.e., those that both had not been on the OpenSim train
long enough to remember the previous april 1 jokes and also were expecting trunk
to be production quality --- WHICH IT'S NOT, i hasten to say).

other than that? no clue.

       DrS

> Greetings
>

> 2009/5/20 Jani Pirkola <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I hope not to start a flame war, but to find out how many people are
>     using a given platform.
>     http://www.polladium.com/poll.php?poll_id=1&location_id=25227
>     <http://www.polladium.com/poll.php?poll_id=1&location_id=25227>
>
>     If you know other relevant places to forward this poll, please do so
>     because it helps to improve the quality of the results. I'll write
>     about the results and your comments to http://maxping.org after a while.
>
>     Best regards,
>     Jani

dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: poll:favorite virtual world platform

Ursula MATOVA
Bla bla bla

Really no sense of humor !
Hopefully you're not my ( our ) boss :P

I was thinking that subject closed until next 1st April ...

Anyway,
I have no more time to spend on the discussion.

Thom, think to contribute a bit to the OpenSimulator project instead of crying.

Regards,
Ursula.

Impalah wrote:
> I have two doubts:
>
> http://www.polladium.com/voxbox/ThomKing
>
> Who were the hackers (crackers)? Where was the hackings?

the only thing i can think of is this year's april 1 joke, which surprised a
number of our users (i.e., those that both had not been on the OpenSim train
long enough to remember the previous april 1 jokes and also were expecting trunk
to be production quality --- WHICH IT'S NOT, i hasten to say).

other than that? no clue.

       DrS

> Greetings
>

> 2009/5/20 Jani Pirkola <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I hope not to start a flame war, but to find out how many people are
>     using a given platform.
>     http://www.polladium.com/poll.php?poll_id=1&location_id=25227
>     <http://www.polladium.com/poll.php?poll_id=1&location_id=25227>
>
>     If you know other relevant places to forward this poll, please do so
>     because it helps to improve the quality of the results. I'll write
>     about the results and your comments to http://maxping.org after a while.
>
>     Best regards,
>     Jani

dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: poll:favorite virtual world platform

mw-2
no it wasn't

The malicious code was in the recommended release code, not just "Trunk".
The lie that the malicious code was only in trunk is one of the despicable lies that the criminals are using to try to cover up their criminal hacking activity.
Some of the criminals acts of suppression and censorship are mentioned in the discussion here:

http://imohax.com/2009/04/01/opensim-youre-losin-me-punking-is-for-punks/

Yeah, I just replied to his statement about it being in a recommended release and regretted replying as soon as I did so.. As there is no point in bringing this whole thing back up. What happened, happened. This is not about censoring anyone. Different people have different opinions about what happened and everyone is allowed their own view. But the best thing for this project is that we move on and learn whatever we can from the whole thing.

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Dr Scofield <DrScofield@...> wrote:
Impalah wrote:
> I have two doubts:
>
> http://www.polladium.com/voxbox/ThomKing
>
> Who were the hackers (crackers)? Where was the hackings?

the only thing i can think of is this year's april 1 joke, which surprised a
number of our users (i.e., those that both had not been on the OpenSim train
long enough to remember the previous april 1 jokes and also were expecting trunk
to be production quality --- WHICH IT'S NOT, i hasten to say).

other than that? no clue.

       DrS

> Greetings
>

> 2009/5/20 Jani Pirkola <jpirkola@... <mailto:jpirkola@...>>
>
>     Hi,
>
>     I hope not to start a flame war, but to find out how many people are
>     using a given platform.
>     http://www.polladium.com/poll.php?poll_id=1&location_id=25227
>     <http://www.polladium.com/poll.php?poll_id=1&location_id=25227>
>
>     If you know other relevant places to forward this poll, please do so
>     because it helps to improve the quality of the results. I'll write
>     about the results and your comments to http://maxping.org after a while.
>
>     Best regards,
>     Jani

dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- drscofield@... ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: hud@... - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Re: poll:favorite virtual world platform

lamont cranston
I thought it was spelled "Hax0rz"
/me shrugs

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 11:31 AM, Impalah <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have two doubts:

http://www.polladium.com/voxbox/ThomKing

Who were the hackers (crackers)? Where was the hackings?

Greetings

2009/5/20 Jani Pirkola <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I hope not to start a flame war, but to find out how many people are using a given platform.

If you know other relevant places to forward this poll, please do so because it helps to improve the quality of the results. I'll write about the results and your comments to http://maxping.org after a while.

Best regards,
Jani

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Re: poll:favorite virtual world platform

Ralf Haifisch
I propose to  close down the list to moderated again, then kick this tomking
email and close open enrollment.

I am not interested in personal crying of people who have a problem with the
rules and I believe if we don´t kick those single identity´s we loose many
other readers/contributors.

Cheers,
Ralf

------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 19:00:08 +0200
From: Ursula MATOVA <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]

Bla bla bla

Really no sense of humor !
Hopefully you're not my ( our ) boss :P

I was thinking that subject closed until next 1st April ...

Anyway,
I have no more time to spend on the discussion.

Thom, think to contribute a bit to the OpenSimulator project instead
of crying.

Regards,
Ursula.

Le 25 mai 09 ? 18:51, Thom King a ?crit :

> I am not an "Alias", and I suspect that you are one of the
> despicable criminals who attacked our project with your malicious
> code.  I will make sure you are hunted down with the rest of the
> hackers "Kris Bulman".

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

End of Opensim-users Digest, Vol 21, Issue 30

Re: poll:favorite virtual world platform

Thom King

Your Nazi suppression of the facts of the malicious code attack is truely despicable!

Teravus Ovares
Anyway..

That's not really what this vote is about.      This isn't a place to
convince anyone of anything else..    Jani just wants people to vote.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled e-mail list

-Teravus

On 5/25/09, Thom King <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your Nazi suppression of the facts of the malicious code attack is truely despicable!

A word to jokers (WAS: poll:favorite virtual world platform)

Ethan Gardener
Thom, you're really only doing yourself a disservice here. Such strong words won't help you persuade anybody with any internet experience, to be frank, and besides, anger and bitterness are bad for the heart.

On the other hand it was good to read the beginning of that imohax article. It shows how risky unsolicited avatar manipulation is, and reminded me of all the people who genuinely can't get out and who rely on virtual worlds for a huge slice of life they would otherwise have no access to.

Let me take only my own position. I can get out a little, but attempting any kind of worthwhile "life" in the real world has me feeling like I've been dragged through thornbushes for hours, and that pleasant feeling can last for more than a week after I quit trying. This is not lightweight stuff, and a practical joke is very different from the vast majority of bugs, as I'll explain at the end.

As a result of years of good friendship and company over 3 years in Second Life and the seemingly minor experience of owning and building my own homes I have learned life lessons and gained real skills that 30 years of "Real Life" failed to teach me. My real-world experience has even benefitted greatly from my second life: when I joined I couldn't step out of the house without panic making me want to scream, but now there's no panic at all, it's completely gone. It's the security of having my SL home to come back to that did it. No matter how temporary, no matter that I never finished any of my homes, it was a little anchor that enabled me to settle down just enough to begin to heal.

That healing process isn't finished, but Linden Labs modus operandi and pricing alike threaten to ruin me. I quite desperately need an alternative, and a world full of people who only want to talk about building & code is not enough. Sun Wonderland and Open Cobalt are aimed at business meetings and collaboration, Open Croquet is just a toolkit (but aimed at business collab anyway), and all I've heard about RealExtend places emphasis on building the shinies. As much as I'm attracted to alternative technologies it's not the technology that I really need. The only options for myself that I can see right now are friendly grids such as Reaction Grid and Legend City Online, and the only such grids I know exist are based on OpenSim. Granted I'm not very good at searching.

So, to get down to the metal, can I take a joke? Yeah, on a good day. On an average day it'll leave me shaking for, ooh, only a few hours. Good days are rare. If I wake up feeling a little weak and in need of companionship, I turn to the only place I can get it. I'm not going to notice if it's April the 1st before I log in. What's going to happen if I log in to find something important to me damaged? In the very best case it will take me days to recover. Now of course bugs can and will 'break' my nerves from time to time, but bugs aren't so likely to crop up out of the blue...

I had 3 sims on OSGrid of all places, nightlies I upgraded when I felt like it at that, but in 2 or 3 months no bug affected me this way at all. As far as my nerves go that's a better track record than SL, and that's OSGrid and nightly builds we're talking about! That avatar stretching would hit my nerves. Any joke would because it's *designed* to get at people.

On Mon, 25 May 2009 17:49:09 +0100
"Thom King" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The malicious code was in the recommended release code, not just "Trunk".
> The lie that the malicious code was only in trunk is one of the despicable lies that the criminals are using to try to cover up their criminal hacking activity.
> Some of the criminals acts of suppression and censorship are mentioned in the discussion here:
>
> http://imohax.com/2009/04/01/opensim-youre-losin-me-punking-is-for-punks/

Ethan Grammatikidis
The lyf so short, the craft so long to lerne. -- Chaucer

Kris Bulman wrote:
> ThomKing was indeed the alias used during the mailing list email fiasco
> titled "you a**holes lost our funding", so I would take that as a
> confirmation on the "malicious code" / April fools reference.

ah. ok. had already forgotten about that (i don't remember jokes that well, i'm
afraid).

lamont cranston wrote:
> I thought it was spelled "Hax0rz"
> /me shrugs

lol.

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

3DIIB recommends against engaging in Open Sin

Dr Scofield
Thom King wrote:
> Your Nazi suppression of the facts of the malicious code attack is truely despicable!

yes. i fully agree. i also object vehemently to burying the facts along with the
 truth about the recently stolen 2nd black-hole container from CERN in a tiny
little prim buried at 0.001m altitude on the default island where no sane use is
going to find it --- and, adding insult to injury, where no insane user is even
going to find it!

also! did you know that a recent investigation of the 3DIIB (3D internet
investigation bureau, a little known subsidiary of Interpol, which, it's
assumed, is cross-funded through the US VW prim tax; though, to  be really
honest, there is some doubt on this and some folks have claimed that 3DIIB is
really the secret off-spring of OpenDei, an obscure catholic sect operating out
of one of the lesser known valleys of one of those pesky little alpine
countries) came to the conclusion that  "open sin is not an activity we
recommend anyone to engage in".

so, there you go. stay away.

--
dr dirk husemann ---- virtual worlds research ---- ibm zurich research lab
SL: dr scofield ---- [hidden email] ---- http://xyzzyxyzzy.net/
RL: [hidden email] - +41 44 724 8573 - http://www.zurich.ibm.com/~hud/

Re: 3DIIB recommends against engaging in Open Sin

Lúthien Athariel
*impressions from a newbie*

at first I had the impression that you all engaged in some form of shared geek humour in here - like a prolonged April fool's day - but I must admit that I have completely lost my bearings now as to what is serious and what not.

Is this some specialised form of folklore?

2009/5/26 Dr Scofield <[hidden email]>
Thom King wrote:
> Your Nazi suppression of the facts of the malicious code attack is truely despicable!

<snip>

12