r8525: no more remoting

Diva Canto
Just a heads-up to let everyone know that r8525 departs from .NET
Remoting for good.
Post-r8525 sims no longer listen on remoting ports, they use http
exclusively. This means that those of you who haven't updated your sims
in the past month or so won't be able to go to places that are up-to-date.

The UCI Hypergrid gateways are up-to-date.

Re: r8525: no more remoting

Frisby, Adam
+1

Sacha Magne
Hmm, what means "remoting" in english for us, mortal users ?

thanks
Sacha

On 2/20/09, Frisby, Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> +1

http://K-grid.com
Just be cause it's Kool

Re: r8525: no more remoting

John Sheridan
If I'm not mistaken the term "remoting" pertains to a remote procedure
call or a way of communicating between processes spread over a network.

".NET Remoting allows an application to make an object
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming> (termed
/remotable object/) available across /remoting boundaries/, which
includes different appdomains <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appdomain>,
processes <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_%28computing%29> or even
different computers connected by a network.^[4]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Remoting#cite_note-overview-3> The
.NET Remoting runtime hosts the listener for requests to the object in
the appdomain <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appdomain> of the server
application. At the client end, any requests to the remotable object are
proxied by the .NET Remoting runtime over |Channel| objects, that
encapsulate the actual transport mode, including TCP
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol> streams,
HTTP <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP> streams and named pipes
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_pipe>. As a result, by instantiating
proper |Channel| objects, a .NET Remoting application can be made to
support different communication protocols without recompiling the
application. The runtime itself manages the act of serialization
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serialization> and marshalling
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshalling_%28computer_science%29> of
objects across the client and server appdomains.^[4]
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Remoting#cite_note-overview-3> "
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Remoting)

 - Orion Pseudo

Sacha Magne wrote:

> Hmm, what means "remoting" in english for us, mortal users ?
>
> thanks
> Sacha
>
> On 2/20/09, Frisby, Adam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> +1

<< sighs >>  And here's to messy old Firefox borking a copy/paste! :P

Sacha Magne wrote:

Hmm, what means "remoting" in english for us, mortal users ?

thanks
Sacha

On 2/20/09, Frisby, Adam [hidden email] wrote:

+1

but still, does it means all our remoteadmin tools are worhtless ?

Sacha Magne wrote:

Hmm, what means "remoting" in english for us, mortal users ?

thanks
Sacha

On 2/20/09, Frisby, Adam [hidden email] wrote:

+1

trucker.anthony
no it has nothing to do with remoteadmin access it is the way in which the
regions communicate with eachother and across multiple servers
TA

On Fri, 20 Feb 2009 08:47:35 +0100, Sacha Magne <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> but still, does it means all our remoteadmin tools are worhtless ?
>

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 8:08 AM, John Sheridan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>>  << sighs >>  And here's to messy old Firefox borking a copy/paste! :P
>>
>> John Sheridan wrote:
>>
>> If I'm not mistaken the term "remoting" pertains to a remote procedure
>> call or a way of communicating between processes spread over a network.
>>
>> ".NET Remoting allows an application to make an object
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object-oriented_programming> (termed
>> /remotable object/) available across /remoting boundaries/, which
>> includes different appdomains <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appdomain>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appdomain>,
>> processes <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_%28computing%29>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Process_%28computing%29> or even
>> different computers connected by a network.^[4]
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Remoting#cite_note-overview-3>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Remoting#cite_note-overview-3> The
>> .NET Remoting runtime hosts the listener for requests to the object in
>> the appdomain <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appdomain>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appdomain> of the server
>> application. At the client end, any requests to the remotable object are
>> proxied by the .NET Remoting runtime over |Channel| objects, that
>> encapsulate the actual transport mode, including TCP
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transmission_Control_Protocol> streams,
>> HTTP <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HTTP> streams and named pipes
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_pipe>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_pipe>. As a result, by instantiating
>> proper |Channel| objects, a .NET Remoting application can be made to
>> support different communication protocols without recompiling the
>> application. The runtime itself manages the act of serialization
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serialization>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serialization> and marshalling
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshalling_%28computer_science%29>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marshalling_%28computer_science%29> of
>> objects across the client and server appdomains.^[4]
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Remoting#cite_note-overview-3>
> <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Remoting#cite_note-overview-3> "
>> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.NET_Remoting)
>>
>>  - Orion Pseudo
>>

>> Sacha Magne wrote:
>>

>>  Hmm, what means "remoting" in english for us, mortal users ?
>>
>> thanks
>> Sacha
>>
>> On 2/20/09, Frisby, Adam <[hidden email]> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>

>>  +1

Agreed with Trucker - I'm a bit out of my league in this part but I'm pretty sure remote admin runs off an XML-RPC type of structure, a different mechanism from remoting and probably a different section of the system from what Diva is mentioning?

Sacha Magne wrote:

 Hmm, what means "remoting" in english for us, mortal users ?

thanks
Sacha

On 2/20/09, Frisby, Adam [hidden email] [hidden email]

wrote:

 +1

> [...]

Chris Hart
I would recommend including a bit more detail when posting to the users
list about what a change like this means - don't expect everyone to be a
developer :)

From what I understand (Diva, others, please correct me if wrong), as of
SVN 8525, you no longer need to listen on port 8895 (or whatever you
have set up your server to listen on because this is configurable) when
connecting a region server to a grid (like hooking up a region to OS
Grid), hence

remoting_listener_port = 8895

can be removed from the ini, and you can hence close that port on your
router because it isn't used any more.

Remoting is just one method of communicating with other stuff over the
internet, and has until now required OpenSim to use an extra port for
interregion communication. Now, instead of using Remoting, Diva's
changes mean that HTTP is used instead, and this means the main HTTP
port set in your ini:

http_listener_port = 9000

(or, again, whatever port number you are configured to listen on) is now
also used for interregion communications (joining a grid successfully).

XML RPC is a protocol that is used by the remote administration tools
that many people use. It operates over the main http_listener_port
setting, hence the default of 9000 is also used for this sort of
communication. Those tools will be unaffected by this change.

What this also means, which Diva stated, is that you can't mix and match
between older OpenSim instances and this newer OpenSim code. You can't
have regions expecting communication on port 8895 and not hearing
anything back - you need to be on a similar version of OpenSim (>= 8525)

Diva or others, please correct me if I have misunderstood or
mistranslated any of this :)

Chris

Re: r8525: no more remoting

Frisby, Adam

No, Grid comms has always used REST/XMLRPC.

Remoting was only ever used for intra[/er]region comms.

Adam

Re: r8525: no more remoting

Diva Canto
Yes, Chris Hart has it right.

Only sim-to-sim communications (so, crossings and TPs) was done over
this remoting port; sim-to-grid has always been over XMLRPC on the http
port.

Bottom line for users:

(1) Post r8525 you can completely ignore the "remote_listener_port" on
.ini, router, etc.

(2) Sims pre-early-January and sims in r8525 won't be able to exchange
messages at all (so no TPs, no crossings). Sims in revisions throughout
January and February will have some connectivity with this new version,
since this change was done gradually, but things may not work well --
especially attachments.

(3) Sims all in r8525 and later should see no problems, and, hopefully,
should see more stability in crossings and TPs.

Crista