search does not distinguish between NPCs and residents

search does not distinguish between NPCs and residents

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello
I was wondering if this is expected behavior. I see that when I search for residents to add to a group, the results can also yield the names of NPCs. This does not feel right.
Any comment?
Ramesh

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: search does not distinguish between NPCs and residents

Dahlia Trimble
If you're selecting users in the same region or "near" you, then NPCs will likely appear in the user interface. Unfortunately the viewer has no way of knowing the difference between an agent which is a user client, or a NPC, so any user interface that chooses nearby agents will have the same problem. This is a limitation in the protocol which has not been addressed by Linden Lab and probably wont be as they do not have NPCs.

On Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello
I was wondering if this is expected behavior. I see that when I search for residents to add to a group, the results can also yield the names of NPCs. This does not feel right.
Any comment?
Ramesh

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040" target="_blank">208-240-0040

Mesh noob question

Serendipity Seraph-2
My most basic question is what can and cannot be done with mesh in
opensim and/or SL?  Can I for instance take a mesh model of a spaceship
and sit inside it and fly it in opensim?  Can I build mesh exotic
buildings and use them in all the ways I can not mesh builds?  I
recognize I can't do various prim manipulations on meshes in world but
don't have a good feel for what limitations this imposes.  Can I create
linksets that include mesh and non-mesh items and add scripts and so on?

Is there a good FAQ or paper on this somewhere?

- seren

Re: Mesh noob question

Chris M
"Can I for instance take a mesh model of a spaceship and sit inside it
and fly it in opensim? "
Yes, provided you can find a vehicle script that is written for OpenSim.
Some of these scripts may also be physics engine dependent just be
aware. Most SL vehicle scripts won't work as expected (or at all) on
OpenSim partially due to slight LSL differences between SL and OS with
the physics functions as well as physics engine differences.

"Can I build mesh exotic buildings and use them in all the ways I can
not mesh builds?"
I'm not sure what you're asking. But you can mesh buildings and use them
the same as you could normal prim buildings provided the interior is
also meshed (For instance a lot of buildings you'll find on Google for
Google Sketchup don't have their interiors meshed and so are really only
useful for modeling purposes; Such as maybe you're building a big city
scape kind of place and you want some buildings for backdrop but not
necessarily functional).

"I recognize I can't do various prim manipulations on meshes in world
but don't have a good feel for what limitations this imposes."
It depends on how you construct your mesh and whether or not it's
rigged.  Rigged meaning it attaches to your avatar and it moves with
your avatar. In the case of rigged mesh there's not a whole lot you can
do to manipulate it in world aside from coloring or texturing it. That
is because it will all just snap back to its programmed bone positions
once you reattach it. With non rigged mesh, it all depends on how you
construct it in your 3D editor. If you build your mesh with compactness
in mind (less objects, more complexity per single object in your mesh)
then it can tend to be less you can do with it in world. If you build
your mesh with modifications in mind (more objects, less complexity per
object in your mesh) then it can tend to be that you can do more with
your modification. Example: If you make a chair and table set but make
it all one object in your 3D editor, then you wouldn't be able to move
that chair around by itself in world since it's all one solid mesh. If
you leave the table and chair separate from each other then you can move
the table and chair around individually in world.

"Can I create linksets that include mesh and non-mesh items and add
scripts and so on?"
Yes you can. The viewer and the server doesn't care whether an object is
a standard prim, a sculpt, or a mesh from a linking perspective. As far
as scripting goes yes as well, although, depending on how you construct
your mesh; scripting techniques -may- vary. For instance if you take the
above hypothetical table and chair mesh, but you chose to join them
together in one object (in your 3D editor) and apply two materials to
them (one face for the table and one face for the chair), and you want
to be able to retexture them via script; you would need to know how to
get the script to recognize that particular object and have it apply
textures to those two different faces. This is as opposed to keeping
those two objects separate from each other and simply having the script
recognize that via object name or description and apply textures
depending on which one matches. (I hope that explanation wasn't too
confusing. It makes more sense if you try it both ways to see what I mean)

I don't have a FAQ or other resource I can point you to for further
explanation; I apologize. But I hope I was able to answer at least some
of your questions :)

On 2/17/2014 6:14 PM, Seren Seraph wrote:

> My most basic question is what can and cannot be done with mesh in
> opensim and/or SL?  Can I for instance take a mesh model of a spaceship
> and sit inside it and fly it in opensim?  Can I build mesh exotic
> buildings and use them in all the ways I can not mesh builds?  I
> recognize I can't do various prim manipulations on meshes in world but
> don't have a good feel for what limitations this imposes.  Can I create
> linksets that include mesh and non-mesh items and add scripts and so on?
>
> Is there a good FAQ or paper on this somewhere?
>
> - seren

OpenSim: 10 Region Standalone on 0.7.6 Dev
Physics: Open Dynamics Engine
OS: Windows 7 (x64)
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2 GHz
Memory: 11 GB DDR3
Database: MySQL 5.1.63 (x64)

Re: Mesh noob question

Wade Schuette
One warning -- when you import mesh objects the choice of physics you are given on the import script is important.   In second life, you have to pick the most expensive one.

Basically,  if you have a building and you simply use a spherical or concave surface around it as the physics collider,  you will NOT, in my experience, be able to go inside the buiding. (At least I couldn't go inside my own building.)

On the other hand, I suppose that if you WEAR the mesh spaceship,  that constraint might not apply.

Anyway, I haven't investigated this in detail, but it's something to check out.  If nothing else,  build a mesh hollow cube with a door, or a hollow cylinder with a door into it and investigate its properties before going much further!

Just a suggestion.  I may kill some time and try it myself now and if I find out anything I'll post the results.  Anyone else?

Wade

On 2/17/14 7:58 PM, Chris wrote:
[...]

Ok, I tried it out and the key step is editing the mesh, once it is rezzed in Second Life, and going to the "feature" tab in the editor and changing "physics style" from "convex hull" to "prim".     Then it's possible to walk into or through a mesh object imported into second life.  I assume the same is true for opensim, most likely.

On 2/17/14 7:58 PM, Chris wrote:
[...]

R. Wade Schuette, CDP, MBA, MPH
698 Monterey Ave
Morro Bay CA 93442