Quantcast

server

Margie Baxley
I was wondering what is the best windows server to us for open sim.
I'd like to have 20 sims and 12 of those are ocean sims. right now I
have 16 on new world grid but its running off my home pc.

thanks
margie

Re: server

trucker.anthony
i have personally only heard of 3 running on window and i own 2 of them my
personal grid of 95 regions only me and the family are alloowed to connect
to is running on one of my personal pcs on win xp my public grid consisting
of 141 regions is running on 7 different servers all runnin win server 2k3
as for the other grid out there running on windows i dont even rember what
grid that was so hope that helps answer your question
TA
On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:58:25 -0500, Margie Baxley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> I was wondering what is the best windows server to us for open sim.
> I'd like to have 20 sims and 12 of those are ocean sims. right now I
> have 16 on new world grid but its running off my home pc.
>
> thanks
> margie

Re: server

Margie Baxley
I'm looking for a server to rent. I've found one, I just want to make sure it'll work with opensim.  Its  http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicatedservers/ds-450_windows/

thanks,
margie

wrote:
> I was wondering what is the best windows server to us for open sim.
> I'd like to have 20 sims and 12 of those are ocean sims. right now I
> have 16 on new world grid but its running off my home pc.
>
> thanks
> margie

Re: server

trucker.anthony
well with time ou will need more ram than that as you get a bigger customer
base that one GB of ram will not even be enough to run the DB but is a nice
start i am in the stages of buying my own servers from a dealer on ebay i
have the first one and it is used but will get me by til i can get all of
my own servers and then start buying new ones but as far as the specs of
your grid go it would be a great start
TA

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 21:39:46 -0500, Margie Baxley <[hidden email]>
wrote:
> I'm looking for a server to rent. I've found one, I just want to make
sure

> it'll work with opensim.  Its
> http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicatedservers/ds-450_windows/
>
> thanks,
> margie
>
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:33 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> i have personally only heard of 3 running on window and i own 2 of them
> my
>> personal grid of 95 regions only me and the family are alloowed to
> connect
>> to is running on one of my personal pcs on win xp my public grid
> consisting
>> of 141 regions is running on 7 different servers all runnin win server
> 2k3
>> as for the other grid out there running on windows i dont even rember
> what
>> grid that was so hope that helps answer your question
>> TA
>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:58:25 -0500, Margie Baxley
> <[hidden email]
>> >
>> wrote:
>> > I was wondering what is the best windows server to us for open sim.
>> > I'd like to have 20 sims and 12 of those are ocean sims. right now I
>> > have 16 on new world grid but its running off my home pc.
>> >
>> > thanks
>> > margie

Re: server

Margie Baxley
Fasthosts has one that has 2 gig also.  My problem with running a server at home, is my internet wouldn't handle it. That's why I'm looking to rent one.  I looked at your 3rdrock website, you've done an amazing job.  When I first start I'll attach to the New World grid, then eventually have my own grid, but I will have 20-25 sims and then others can attach to mine, running off their own pc or server.  I publish a christian magazine and have a sim on Second Life and we are expanding to other virtual worlds.
Thanks for your help.

margie

wrote:
> I'm looking for a server to rent. I've found one, I just want to make
sure
> it'll work with opensim.  Its
> http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicatedservers/ds-450_windows/
>
> thanks,
> margie
>
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:33 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> i have personally only heard of 3 running on window and i own 2 of them
> my
>> personal grid of 95 regions only me and the family are alloowed to
> connect
>> to is running on one of my personal pcs on win xp my public grid
> consisting
>> of 141 regions is running on 7 different servers all runnin win server
> 2k3
>> as for the other grid out there running on windows i dont even rember
> what
>> grid that was so hope that helps answer your question
>> TA
>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:58:25 -0500, Margie Baxley
> <[hidden email]
>> >
>> wrote:
>> > I was wondering what is the best windows server to us for open sim.
>> > I'd like to have 20 sims and 12 of those are ocean sims. right now I
>> > have 16 on new world grid but its running off my home pc.
>> >
>> > thanks
>> > margie

Re: server

Charles Krinke-3
Margie:

A number of us have been using Cari.net with great success. I think there are probably 25-50 servers right now at Cari.net.

There prices appear to be very good. And as an aside, all the plazas on OSGrid are running on two Cari servers.

Charles Krinke

wrote:
> I'm looking for a server to rent. I've found one, I just want to make
sure
> it'll work with opensim.  Its
> http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicatedservers/ds-450_windows/
>
> thanks,
> margie
>
> On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:33 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> i have personally only heard of 3 running on window and i own 2 of them
> my
>> personal grid of 95 regions only me and the family are alloowed to
> connect
>> to is running on one of my personal pcs on win xp my public grid
> consisting
>> of 141 regions is running on 7 different servers all runnin win server
> 2k3
>> as for the other grid out there running on windows i dont even rember
> what
>> grid that was so hope that helps answer your question
>> TA
>> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:58:25 -0500, Margie Baxley
> <[hidden email]
>> >
>> wrote:
>> > I was wondering what is the best windows server to us for open sim.
>> > I'd like to have 20 sims and 12 of those are ocean sims. right now I
>> > have 16 on new world grid but its running off my home pc.
>> >
>> > thanks
>> > margie

Re: server

Dirk Krause
Hi Charles,

  I just looked at Cari.net ... which one of these 'flavors' do you use?

-- Dirk/Barth

________________________________

        wrote:
        > I'm looking for a server to rent. I've found one, I just want to make
        sure
        > it'll work with opensim.  Its
        > http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicatedservers/ds-450_windows/
        >
        > thanks,
        > margie
        >
        > On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:33 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
        >
        >> i have personally only heard of 3 running on window and i own 2 of them
        > my
        >> personal grid of 95 regions only me and the family are alloowed to
        > connect
        >> to is running on one of my personal pcs on win xp my public grid
        > consisting
        >> of 141 regions is running on 7 different servers all runnin win server
        > 2k3
        >> as for the other grid out there running on windows i dont even rember
        > what
        >> grid that was so hope that helps answer your question
        >> TA
        >> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:58:25 -0500, Margie Baxley
        > <[hidden email]
        >> >
        >> wrote:
        >> > I was wondering what is the best windows server to us for open sim.
        >> > I'd like to have 20 sims and 12 of those are ocean sims. right now I
        >> > have 16 on new world grid but its running off my home pc.
        >> >
        >> > thanks
        >> > margie

winmail.dat (9K) Download Attachment

Re: server

Charles Krinke-3
Personally, I leased a Kentsfield and added RAM to bring it to 8GByte and it is running 8 of my personal regions on OSGrid.  That is the quad-core, so is pretty hot.

The LinuxPlazas (2 regions) and the WindowsPlazas (4 regions) run on two dual-core servers at Cari.

In general, it seems that 1GByte RAM per region is a good plan. That is for a region with reasonable traffic, a few thousand prims and a few hundred scripts.

    wrote:
    > I'm looking for a server to rent. I've found one, I just want to make
    sure
    > it'll work with opensim.  Its
    > http://www.fasthosts.co.uk/dedicatedservers/ds-450_windows/
    >
    > thanks,
    > margie
    >
    > On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 9:33 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
    >
    >> i have personally only heard of 3 running on window and i own 2 of them
    > my
    >> personal grid of 95 regions only me and the family are alloowed to
    > connect
    >> to is running on one of my personal pcs on win xp my public grid
    > consisting
    >> of 141 regions is running on 7 different servers all runnin win server
    > 2k3
    >> as for the other grid out there running on windows i dont even rember
    > what
    >> grid that was so hope that helps answer your question
    >> TA
    >> On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 20:58:25 -0500, Margie Baxley
    > <[hidden email]
    >> >
    >> wrote:
    >> > I was wondering what is the best windows server to us for open sim.
    >> > I'd like to have 20 sims and 12 of those are ocean sims. right now I
    >> > have 16 on new world grid but its running off my home pc.
    >> >
    >> > thanks
    >> > margie

Re: server

Dave Coyle
The question of "what kind of hardware do I need to run OpenSim?"
comes up often.  If you're happily running it, please consider adding
some details about your hardware config to:

    http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Hardware_Selection_Guide

to help guide people in the future.  Hopefully as the list grows
people will be able to better infer their own hardware needs based
on what others have successfully used in similar circumstances.

-Coyle

Re: server

Dirk Krause
Nice!

Ralf Haifisch made a good list to assemble some providers and sizing information
(albeit in german but surely this can be translated either by him or by me)
here:
http://www.ralf-haifisch.biz/DE-eigener_opensim_regionsserver.html

Best,
  Dirk/Barth