sound files length

Michel DENIS
Hello,

I need to set up a long and complex voice dialog between 2 bots (NPCs)  but discover the difficulty of doing that as it looks that sound files cannot be more than 10 seconds each !?
Not only the initial set up requires several cuts of each voice sequence, but  there's a complex parameterization of scripts, and finally the maintenance/evolution of the system when dialogs need to be changed will be tough.

Why this limitation ? Any way of patching to get "free length" sound files like on other VW platforms ?

Thanks in advance for your feedback,
-michel

Re: sound files length

Nick Zwart
So the viewer builders should work on that, to make it long enough to have the NPC speak whole sentences. This is what more of us would like to see. There is a lot of language education going on in OpenSim so sentences of, let's say, 1 minute would be great.
Now that some of the viewers are forked to OpenSim, the OS version could have that option!

Nick Zwart - 3DLES

Re: sound files length

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
Hi,

before you start compiling your own viewer a small tip from me. Back in time there was a viever called Meerkat
You can still download it from its project page on google code: http://code.google.com/p/meerkat-viewer/downloads/list

I use(d) it if i need to upload longer soundfiles. I just tested it again and i was able to upload a 25 second wav file
to the OSGRID. I am sure it can upload longer soundfiles as well .. And like Nebadon said it is only a viewer restriction
and not a Opensim Grid restriction. Hope this helps you with your project ...

best regards,
Wordfromthe Wise

Meerkat has a Gridmanager so you can easliy add e.g. the OSGRID Informations. If you need the OSGRID infos use this link

So the viewer builders should work on that, to make it long enough to have the NPC speak whole sentences. This is what more of us would like to see. There is a lot of language education going on in OpenSim so sentences of, let's say, 1 minute would be great.
Now that some of the viewers are forked to OpenSim, the OS version could have that option!

Nick Zwart - 3DLES

Re: sound files length

Nick Zwart
That's very interesting, one question though, does another viewer PLAY the longer file?

So the viewer builders should work on that, to make it long enough to have the NPC speak whole sentences. This is what more of us would like to see. There is a lot of language education going on in OpenSim so sentences of, let's say, 1 minute would be great.
Now that some of the viewers are forked to OpenSim, the OS version could have that option!

Nick Zwart - 3DLES

Re: sound files length

Tom Willans
In SL there is the script http://www.free-lsl-scripts.com/cgi/freescripts.plx?ID=1681 that can play multiple 10 second wave files to make upto in this case 42 minutes.
Unfortunately this does not work within Openim because  llSetSoundQueueing is not fully implemented. This buffers the sound so that there is no break I believe. I have been told that the 10 second .wav files are quite a resource hit - however I have not tested this myself.

It would be helpful if this could be fully implemented.

I have got around this by using a script to play the parcel media as an avatar approaches using the agent sensor script. Using the media all I needed was a link to the .mp3 files. I never got the audio setting to work; I think that this needs audio streaming which I never set up fully (the media option was easier). You may be able to set the media parcel using

Hope this helps.

Tom Willans  BSc(Hons)  MBCS  CITP
PhD Student
Serious Games Institute, Coventry University
United Kingdom

Managing Director Bessacarr Publications Ltd
Senior Research Representative:Engineering and Computing
+44 (0)121 288 0281
skype: tom.willans
Second Life and OSGrid: Tom Tiros

Sent from my iPad

On 15 May 2013, at 09:04, "Nick Zwart - 3DLES" <[hidden email]> wrote:

So the viewer builders should work on that, to make it long enough to have the NPC speak whole sentences. This is what more of us would like to see. There is a lot of language education going on in OpenSim so sentences of, let's say, 1 minute would be great.
Now that some of the viewers are forked to OpenSim, the OS version could have that option!

Nick Zwart - 3DLES

Re: sound files length

InuYasha Meiji
I have used the script you mentioned for playing multiple 10 second
clips for musical instruments with some tweaking.  It works great in
SL.  I have been waiting for the implementation for a long time now.  I
wanted to make the same instrument in my grid for a  while. I haven't
been talking about it much, because I know Opensim has lots of other
things at the top of the list to do.  However, I would also like to see
llSetSoundQueueing <http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/llSetSoundQueueing>
fully implemented, if someone is inclined to do so.

The people making viewers out there created the 10 second rule or limit
not just arbitrarily, but I think because they wanted to protect people
from the liability of copy write infringement uploading copyright
material.  Not sure.  But please, let this not be the start of a three
month long discussion on copyright again...

As far as I am concerned, I only want to play some nearly 500 year old
folk music.  I think I may be able to get away with that.
llSetSoundQueueing
<http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/llSetSoundQueueing> is definately on my
wish list.  It also helps me make longer less repeditive ambient sounds
in my forst.  With the script playing a longer sound clip for a forest
you don't hear that one bird that goes off every ten seconds till you
want to run out of the woods grasping your head screaming.  (lol).

Your Friend,

InuYasha.

> In SL there is the script
> http://www.free-lsl-scripts.com/cgi/freescripts.plx?ID=1681 that can
> play multiple 10 second wave files to make upto in this case 42 minutes.
> Unfortunately this does not work within Openim because
> llSetSoundQueueing
> <http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/llSetSoundQueueing> is not fully
> implemented. This buffers the sound so that there is no break I
> believe. I have been told that the 10 second .wav files are quite a
> resource hit - however I have not tested this myself.
>
> It would be helpful if this could be fully implemented.
>
> I have got around this by using a script to play the parcel media as
> an avatar approaches using the agent sensor script. Using the media
> all I needed was a link to the .mp3 files. I never got the audio
> setting to work; I think that this needs audio streaming which I never
> set up fully (the media option was easier). You may be able to set the
> media parcel using
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlParcelMediaCommandList for each set
> of dialogue.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Tom Willans  BSc(Hons)  MBCS  CITP
> PhD Student
> Serious Games Institute, Coventry University
> United Kingdom
>
> Managing Director Bessacarr Publications Ltd
> Senior Research Representative:Engineering and Computing
> +44 (0)121 288 0281
> email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> skype: tom.willans
> Second Life and OSGrid: Tom Tiros
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 15 May 2013, at 09:04, "Nick Zwart - 3DLES" <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> So the viewer builders should work on that, to make it long enough to
>> have the NPC speak whole sentences. This is what more of us would
>> like to see. There is a lot of language education going on in OpenSim
>> so sentences of, let's say, 1 minute would be great.
>> Now that some of the viewers are forked to OpenSim, the OS version
>> could have that option!
>> Nick Zwart - 3DLES

Opensim User: In Gridmode  on Version 0.7.4. Nine Instances with 56 Regions. on Windows 7, 64-bit. Phenom 9500 2.2 GHz Quad Core, Terabyte Hard Drive, 8gig DDR2 RAM.  Used XAMPP to load PHP Version 5.3.0, Apache
and MySQL 5.1.41-community edition.  Groups, Profiles, Vivox Voice and
Offline Messages all working. (Not yet Public, 10 user accounts so far).

Re: sound files length

As light relief from other things, I had a chance to take a look at this today and llSetSoundQueueing() should now be
implemented as of git master 7d38f49.

The implementation was surprisingly simple as it's the viewer that does all the work.  This means that like SL, only two
sounds can be queued at any one time.  But this should be enough to get LSL scripts to work though I didn't test the one
you quoted.

On 15/05/13 10:28, Tom Willans wrote:

> In SL there is the script http://www.free-lsl-scripts.com/cgi/freescripts.plx?ID=1681 that can play multiple 10 second
> wave files to make upto in this case 42 minutes.
> Unfortunately this does not work within Openim because llSetSoundQueueing
> <http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/llSetSoundQueueing> is not fully implemented. This buffers the sound so that there is
> no break I believe. I have been told that the 10 second .wav files are quite a resource hit - however I have not tested
> this myself.
>
> It would be helpful if this could be fully implemented.
>
> I have got around this by using a script to play the parcel media as an avatar approaches using the agent sensor script.
> Using the media all I needed was a link to the .mp3 files. I never got the audio setting to work; I think that this
> needs audio streaming which I never set up fully (the media option was easier). You may be able to set the media parcel
> using
> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlParcelMediaCommandList for each set of dialogue.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Tom Willans  BSc(Hons)  MBCS  CITP
> PhD Student
> Serious Games Institute, Coventry University
> United Kingdom
>
> Managing Director Bessacarr Publications Ltd
> Senior Research Representative:Engineering and Computing
> +44 (0)121 288 0281
> email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
> skype: tom.willans
> Second Life and OSGrid: Tom Tiros
>

> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 15 May 2013, at 09:04, "Nick Zwart - 3DLES" <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>> So the viewer builders should work on that, to make it long enough to have the NPC speak whole sentences. This is what
>> more of us would like to see. There is a lot of language education going on in OpenSim so sentences of, let's say, 1
>> minute would be great.
>> Now that some of the viewers are forked to OpenSim, the OS version could have that option!
>> Nick Zwart - 3DLES

OSVW Consulting

Re: sound files length

drwhiet@spacefriends.de
Wow .. ! TY Justin ...

<mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:

>> So the viewer builders should work on that, to make it long enough to
>> have the NPC speak whole sentences. This is what more of us would
>> like to see. There is a lot of language education going on in OpenSim so
sentences of, let's say, 1 minute would be great.
>> Now that some of the viewers are forked to OpenSim, the OS version could
have that option!
>> Nick Zwart - 3DLES

OSVW Consulting

Re: sound files length

Tom Willans
Thanks Justin. I will have to test it.

Tom Willans  BSc(Hons)  MBCS  CITP
PhD Student
Serious Games Institute, Coventry University
United Kingdom

Managing Director Bessacarr Publications Ltd
Senior Research Representative:Engineering and Computing
+44 (0)121 288 0281
email: [hidden email]
skype: tom.willans
Second Life and OSGrid: Tom Tiros

Sent from my mobile

On 22 May 2013, at 20:12, Justin Clark-Casey <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

email: [hidden email] <[hidden email]>

On 15 May 2013, at 09:04, "Nick Zwart - 3DLES" <[hidden email] <[hidden email]>> wrote:

So the viewer builders should work on that, to make it long enough to have the NPC speak whole sentences. This is what
more of us would like to see. There is a lot of language education going on in OpenSim so sentences of, let's say, 1
minute would be great.
Now that some of the viewers are forked to OpenSim, the OS version could have that option!
Nick Zwart - 3DLES

Re: sound files length

InuYasha Meiji
Hehe, now that is the kind of quick fix and reply that I love to tell
friends about since no way does SL beat this kind of error reporting and
fixing so quickly.  Thanks again Justin, we all love your work.

InuYasha

On 5/22/2013 3:12 PM, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> As light relief from other things, I had a chance to take a look at
> this today and llSetSoundQueueing() should now be implemented as of
> git master 7d38f49.
>
> The implementation was surprisingly simple as it's the viewer that
> does all the work.  This means that like SL, only two sounds can be
> queued at any one time.  But this should be enough to get LSL scripts
> to work though I didn't test the one you quoted.
>
> On 15/05/13 10:28, Tom Willans wrote:
>> In SL there is the script
>> http://www.free-lsl-scripts.com/cgi/freescripts.plx?ID=1681 that can
>> play multiple 10 second
>> wave files to make upto in this case 42 minutes.
>> Unfortunately this does not work within Openim because
>> llSetSoundQueueing
>> <http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/llSetSoundQueueing> is not fully
>> implemented. This buffers the sound so that there is
>> no break I believe. I have been told that the 10 second .wav files
>> are quite a resource hit - however I have not tested
>> this myself.
>>
>> It would be helpful if this could be fully implemented.
>>
>> I have got around this by using a script to play the parcel media as
>> an avatar approaches using the agent sensor script.
>> Using the media all I needed was a link to the .mp3 files. I never
>> got the audio setting to work; I think that this
>> needs audio streaming which I never set up fully (the media option
>> was easier). You may be able to set the media parcel
>> using
>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlParcelMediaCommandList for each set
>> of dialogue.
>>
>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Tom Willans  BSc(Hons)  MBCS  CITP
>> PhD Student
>> Serious Games Institute, Coventry University
>> United Kingdom
>>
>> Managing Director Bessacarr Publications Ltd
>> Senior Research Representative:Engineering and Computing
>> +44 (0)121 288 0281
>> email: [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>
>> skype: tom.willans
>> Second Life and OSGrid: Tom Tiros
>>

>> Sent from my iPad
>>
>> On 15 May 2013, at 09:04, "Nick Zwart - 3DLES" <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>
>>> So the viewer builders should work on that, to make it long enough
>>> to have the NPC speak whole sentences. This is what
>>> more of us would like to see. There is a lot of language education
>>> going on in OpenSim so sentences of, let's say, 1
>>> minute would be great.
>>> Now that some of the viewers are forked to OpenSim, the OS version
>>> could have that option!
>>> Nick Zwart - 3DLES

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040