Quantcast

thoughts on timezones

William George
Don't overthink this time thing, its all a convention. Local code shows local time; server code and databases should be in UTC

however this is probably wrong:

"You can see this by picking up an object in OpenSim.  Though the Linden Labs
viewer may say 10:00AM PST when you pick it up, and your server may be set to Central European Time 19:00, the item
properties acquired date will show 18:00 (which is the UTC time)."

The aquired time should in local time.....

This does breakdown for two hours for us fools in Daylight Saving Time. Notice that PST is not supposed to have Daylight Savings, the time zone would be PDT.

My $.02

Waka

Re: thoughts on timezones

justincc
William George wrote:

> Don't overthink this time thing, its all a convention. Local code shows
> local time; server code and databases should be in UTC
>
> however this is probably wrong:
>
> "You can see this by picking up an object in OpenSim.  Though the Linden
> Labs
> viewer may say 10:00AM PST when you pick it up, and your server may be
> set to Central European Time 19:00, the item
> properties acquired date will show 18:00 (which is the UTC time)."
>
> The aquired time should in local time.....

Yes, this should be adjusted, and I would argue that the adjustment should be done by the client before display.

However, this does actually bring up an interesting philosophical question as to what local time is.  Is local time your
own machine's timezone, or is it the region's timezone?

> This does breakdown for two hours for us fools in Daylight Saving Time.
> Notice that PST is not supposed to have Daylight Savings, the time zone
> would be PDT.
>
> My $.02
>
> Waka

Justin Clark-Casey
http://justincc.wordpress.com

Re: thoughts on timezones

Dirk Krause
Hi,

I resisted to bring this into the discussion, but now I can't help it :-).

+1 on having UTC on the server and only that.

With that out of the way, I think the 'local' time should be set by the Sim/Region owner, so that you for example can use a Sim for games where you might want different time tables, maybe even different time paces.

A use for this could be in a Serious Game; let's think of a Mars simulation where you want to have Mars Time and years and so on.  But all this could be done on the client, so this is basically a viewer not a server issue.

So if it turns out, that the time is hard-coded in the viewer ... whoever takes up work on a new viewer could provide some time table functionality (perhaps set by script from the server which could be from the .ini file) to have some 'local' time display.

Best,
  Dirk/Barth

-----Urspr√ľngliche Nachricht-----
> Don't overthink this time thing, its all a convention. Local code shows
> local time; server code and databases should be in UTC
>
> however this is probably wrong:
>
> "You can see this by picking up an object in OpenSim.  Though the Linden
> Labs
> viewer may say 10:00AM PST when you pick it up, and your server may be
> set to Central European Time 19:00, the item
> properties acquired date will show 18:00 (which is the UTC time)."
>
> The aquired time should in local time.....

Yes, this should be adjusted, and I would argue that the adjustment should be done by the client before display.

However, this does actually bring up an interesting philosophical question as to what local time is.  Is local time your
own machine's timezone, or is it the region's timezone?

Re: thoughts on timezones

Robert Klein
I agree with all of this input and I really only asked this question in hopes of not continuing a pretty frustrating foible on LL's part. I am glad that all the input has been positive and full of great observation. I am also glad that we can have a normal manifestation of timezone support eventually through the viewer (hopefully). AND in the Mantis area the flicker of a UTC based OpenSim meeting has been lit, and it is starting to feel oh so right. :)

-Robert

Dirk Krause wrote