transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim

transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim

Paul Fishwick
We are in the early planning stages of re-creating our island from
Second Life
in OpenSim and wondered if others out there had suggestions regarding
transitioning
strategies. My understanding is that for Second Inventory
to work correctly one must either be the creator of the object to move to
OpenSim or one must have all 3 next owner permissions. If that is the
case, for
objects that we did not create, our plan is to ask each creator if they
are willing
to sell all 3 rights (modify/copy/give-away) on their objects for some
reasonable
fee. It is either that or having to recreate each bought object
ourselves since I am
not aware of a "market bridge" between SL and OpenSim. Thoughts?

-paul

--
Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs

Re: transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim

Robert Klein
I have several friends in SL who each have many full project builds and want to do this exact same thing. Many of their builds contain all sorts of buildings and objects they purchased or built themselves and trying to move these projects has been a scary proposition to say the least. Trying to decide where to even begin has kept most of them in SL. They are waiting for an "easy solution" to just pack and unpack their regions. This might be a good topic to start on the OpenSimulator wiki if it hasn't already. Here in America we have moving companies like Global Van Lines, you call them and they come pack your house up in their truck, drive to your new place and unpack it. Might be a good business opportunity for moving out of SL.

-Robert

Tristan-2 wrote

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 9:06 AM, Paul Fishwick <fishwick@cise.ufl.edu> wrote:

> We are in the early planning stages of re-creating our island from
> Second Life
> in OpenSim and wondered if others out there had suggestions regarding
> transitioning
> strategies. My understanding is that for Second Inventory
> to work correctly one must either be the creator of the object to move to
> OpenSim or one must have all 3 next owner permissions. If that is the
> case, for
> objects that we did not create, our plan is to ask each creator if they
> are willing
> to sell all 3 rights (modify/copy/give-away) on their objects for some
> reasonable
> fee. It is either that or having to recreate each bought object
> ourselves since I am
> not aware of a "market bridge" between SL and OpenSim. Thoughts?
>
> -paul
>
> --
> Paul Fishwick, PhD
> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
> University of Florida
> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
> P.O. Box 116120
> Gainesville, FL 32611
> Email: fishwick@cise.ufl.edu
> Phone: (352) 392-1414
> Fax: (352) 392-1220
> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick<http://www.cise.ufl.edu/%7Efishwick>

~Tristan

Re: transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim

Paul Fishwick
Robert
  The state of the art, as it were, seems to be some code that exists in the
Periscope extension of Simian (which is related to the libomv project). In
that code, apparently, there is code that saves/loads using OAR.  There
was also some discussion suggesting that the save/load OAR feature might
be in the 0.7.0 release of libomv.
-paul

Robert Klein wrote:

> [...]
>>> P.O. Box 116120
>>> Gainesville, FL 32611
>>> Email: [hidden email]
>>> Phone: (352) 392-1414
>>> Fax: (352) 392-1220
>>> Web:
>>> http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick<http://www.cise.ufl.edu/%7Efishwick>

>> --
>> ~Tristan

Paul Fishwick, PhD
Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
University of Florida
Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
Bldg. CSE, Room 301
P.O. Box 116120
Gainesville, FL 32611
Email: [hidden email]
Phone: (352) 392-1414
Fax: (352) 392-1220
Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

Re: transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim

I was just thinking, It would be awesome if one of the custom viewers
such as RealXtend or Hippo could include an option in the viewer to
download object of which you have full rights to. It may not be the
best solution but it is on the right path.

On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Paul Fishwick <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Robert
>  The state of the art, as it were, seems to be some code that exists in the
> Periscope extension of Simian (which is related to the libomv project). In
> that code, apparently, there is code that saves/loads using OAR.  There
> was also some discussion suggesting that the save/load OAR feature might
> be in the 0.7.0 release of libomv.
> -paul
>
> Robert Klein wrote:
> > I have several friends in SL who each have many full project builds and want
> > to do this exact same thing. Many of their builds contain all sorts of
> > buildings and objects they purchased or built themselves and trying to move
> > these projects has been a scary proposition to say the least. Trying to
> > decide where to even begin has kept most of them in SL. They are waiting for
> > an "easy solution" to just pack and unpack their regions. This might be a
> > good topic to start on the OpenSimulator wiki if it hasn't already. Here in
> > America we have moving companies like Global Van Lines, you call them and
> > they come pack your house up in their truck, drive to your new place and
> > unpack it. Might be a good business opportunity for moving out of SL.
> >
> > -Robert
> >

> > Tristan-2 wrote:
> >
> >> You could backup most of the things (excluding no-perm scripts) using a
> >> lib
> >> SL bot. After that you could just slightly modify it so it would connect
> >> your custom OpenSim region. It would be best to ask owner permission
> >> first.
> >> If you can get rights from the owners, SecondInventory would be the
> >> simplest
> >> way. If you are a capable programmer, I'm sure you could make a tool using
> >> lib-secondlife to backup a region in something similar to oar format.

> >> --
> >> ~Tristan

> Paul Fishwick, PhD
> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
> University of Florida
> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
> P.O. Box 116120
> Gainesville, FL 32611
> Email: [hidden email]
> Phone: (352) 392-1414
> Fax: (352) 392-1220
> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

~Tristan

Re: transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim

Teravus Ovares
Remember to consult your lawyer and read the TOS before taking any
content out of SecondLife. Technically feasable and legal are two
different things.

Regards

Teravus

On 5/5/09, Tristan <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was just thinking, It would be awesome if one of the custom viewers
> such as RealXtend or Hippo could include an option in the viewer to
> download object of which you have full rights to. It may not be the
> best solution but it is on the right path.
>
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Paul Fishwick <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Robert
>>  The state of the art, as it were, seems to be some code that exists in
>> the
>> Periscope extension of Simian (which is related to the libomv project). In
>> that code, apparently, there is code that saves/loads using OAR.  There
>> was also some discussion suggesting that the save/load OAR feature might
>> be in the 0.7.0 release of libomv.
>> -paul
>>
>> Robert Klein wrote:
>> > I have several friends in SL who each have many full project builds and
>> > want
>> > to do this exact same thing. Many of their builds contain all sorts of
>> > buildings and objects they purchased or built themselves and trying to
>> > move
>> > these projects has been a scary proposition to say the least. Trying to
>> > decide where to even begin has kept most of them in SL. They are waiting
>> > for
>> > an "easy solution" to just pack and unpack their regions. This might be
>> > good topic to start on the OpenSimulator wiki if it hasn't already. Here
>> > in
>> > America we have moving companies like Global Van Lines, you call them
>> > and
>> > they come pack your house up in their truck, drive to your new place and
>> > unpack it. Might be a good business opportunity for moving out of SL.
>> >
>> > -Robert

>> --
>> Paul Fishwick, PhD
>> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
>> University of Florida
>> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
>> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
>> P.O. Box 116120
>> Gainesville, FL 32611
>> Email: [hidden email]
>> Phone: (352) 392-1414
>> Fax: (352) 392-1220
>> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

> ~Tristan

Re: transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim

Robert Klein
Hmm, many of the builders I know in SL create all their items in SL and have no idea how they would be able to sell or even give away their items from SL to other grids. None of them have any interest in buying or using Second Inventory (I am not sure why). Maybe a good question might be, "Can a tool be created within the viewer to allow the easy sharing of prims or groupings of prims along with their associated textures that have been created in SL?"

-Robert

Teravus Ovares wrote

On 5/5/09, Tristan <tristan.wattswillis@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was just thinking, It would be awesome if one of the custom viewers
> such as RealXtend or Hippo could include an option in the viewer to
> download object of which you have full rights to. It may not be the
> best solution but it is on the right path.
>
> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Paul Fishwick <fishwick@cise.ufl.edu> wrote:
>>
>> Robert
>>  The state of the art, as it were, seems to be some code that exists in
>> the
>> Periscope extension of Simian (which is related to the libomv project). In
>> that code, apparently, there is code that saves/loads using OAR.  There
>> was also some discussion suggesting that the save/load OAR feature might
>> be in the 0.7.0 release of libomv.
>> -paul
>>
>> Robert Klein wrote:
>> > I have several friends in SL who each have many full project builds and
>> > want
>> > to do this exact same thing. Many of their builds contain all sorts of
>> > buildings and objects they purchased or built themselves and trying to
>> > move
>> > these projects has been a scary proposition to say the least. Trying to
>> > decide where to even begin has kept most of them in SL. They are waiting
>> > for
>> > an "easy solution" to just pack and unpack their regions. This might be
>> > good topic to start on the OpenSimulator wiki if it hasn't already. Here
>> > in
>> > America we have moving companies like Global Van Lines, you call them
>> > and
>> > they come pack your house up in their truck, drive to your new place and
>> > unpack it. Might be a good business opportunity for moving out of SL.
>> >
>> > -Robert

>> --
>> Paul Fishwick, PhD
>> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
>> University of Florida
>> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
>> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
>> P.O. Box 116120
>> Gainesville, FL 32611
>> Email: fishwick@cise.ufl.edu
>> Phone: (352) 392-1414
>> Fax: (352) 392-1220
>> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

> ~Tristan

Re: transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim

Len W. Brown
I think it's not so much a matter of if it can be done, but maybe the question is - does anyone want to risk legal action in doing it?

One the one hand I think it's silly to prevent the simple transfer of things made in SL to a platform like OpenSim.  BUT I am also someone who has run a fairly successful business in SL the last few years and know that one of the chief obstacles that Linden Lab has attempted to overcome is rights management that governs my ability as a seller of virtual items the right to choose who can and cannot obtain copies of my products and what they can and cannot do with them once they own them.

However, I too am a bit stressed at the moment as I realize I have to literally recreate every item I have in SL one prim at a time in OpenSim.  At times I get frustrated with it, but then I remind myself that if it were a simple matter to replicate and transfer entire buildings and other items from SL to OpenSim then the entire economic system Linden Lab has structured would collapse within a matter of days.

At times though, I do envision some sort of process wherein I could appear in the center of an entire region in SL and press a magic button and suddenly the entire content of the whole region would be downloaded to my local OpenSim region.

I just don't think the idea is very practical if there is any future intention of utilizing OpenSim for financial gain at all.  This appears (to me at least) to be a telltale forking point in OpenSim development.  Do we control and restrict duplication rights so as to channel creativity down the path SL follows where people buy our virtual goods, or do we harbor a truly open platform where anything and everything we create can ultimately be duplicated by others in a matter of seconds through a simple click of the mouse?

- Len

Teravus Ovares wrote:

> Remember to consult your lawyer and read the TOS before taking any
> content out of SecondLife. Technically feasable and legal are two
> different things.
>
> Regards
>
> Teravus
>
> On 5/5/09, Tristan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was just thinking, It would be awesome if one of the custom viewers
>> such as RealXtend or Hippo could include an option in the viewer to
>> download object of which you have full rights to. It may not be the
>> best solution but it is on the right path.
>>
>> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Paul Fishwick <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Robert
>>>  The state of the art, as it were, seems to be some code that exists in
>>> the
>>> Periscope extension of Simian (which is related to the libomv project).
>>> In
>>> that code, apparently, there is code that saves/loads using OAR.  There
>>> was also some discussion suggesting that the save/load OAR feature might
>>> be in the 0.7.0 release of libomv.
>>> -paul

>>> and
>>> waiting
>>> be
>>> Here
>>> and

>>> regarding
>>> move
>>> the
>>> some

>>> http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick<http://www.cise.ufl.edu/%7Efishwick>

>>> --
>>> Paul Fishwick, PhD
>>> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
>>> University of Florida
>>> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
>>> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
>>> P.O. Box 116120
>>> Gainesville, FL 32611
>>> Email: [hidden email]
>>> Phone: (352) 392-1414
>>> Fax: (352) 392-1220
>>> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

>> --
>> ~Tristan

Re: transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim

Stefan Andersson
The key is to create it in OpenSim first, then import it into SL. That is the only way you can retain the rights and means to transfer content freely between grids.

Many content creators are now doing this; using OpenSim as a reasonably stable and efficient local sandbox, then using Second Inventory to transfer the final product into SL - and then doing some final retouching there. Seems to work just fine.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson

> Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 18:13:34 -0700
> From: [hidden email]
> To: [hidden email]
> Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim
>

> Hmm, many of the builders I know in SL create all their items in SL and have
> no idea how they would be able to sell or even give away their items from SL
> to other grids. None of them have any interest in buying or using Second
> Inventory (I am not sure why). Maybe a good question might be, "Can a tool
> be created within the viewer to allow the easy sharing of prims or groupings
> of prims along with their associated textures that have been created in SL?"
>
> -Robert
>

> Teravus Ovares wrote:
> >
> > Remember to consult your lawyer and read the TOS before taking any
> > content out of SecondLife. Technically feasable and legal are two
> > different things.
> >
> > Regards
> >
> > Teravus
> >
> > On 5/5/09, Tristan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I was just thinking, It would be awesome if one of the custom viewers
> >> such as RealXtend or Hippo could include an option in the viewer to
> >> download object of which you have full rights to. It may not be the
> >> best solution but it is on the right path.

> >> --
> >> ~Tristan

Re: transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim

Stefan Andersson
It is not a choice for OpenSim. We will support both, as we are a _platform_ not a product. Some people will go the locked-down-drm route, some will go the youtube-spread-and-proliferate route.

We have representatives of all venues within the OpenSim community.

Best regards,
Stefan Andersson

Date: Wed, 6 May 2009 22:08:01 -0500
From: [hidden email]
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: [Opensim-users] transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim

Teravus Ovares wrote:

> Remember to consult your lawyer and read the TOS before taking any
> content out of SecondLife. Technically feasable and legal are two
> different things.
>
> Regards
>
> Teravus
>
> On 5/5/09, Tristan <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> I was just thinking, It would be awesome if one of the custom viewers
>> such as RealXtend or Hippo could include an option in the viewer to
>> download object of which you have full rights to. It may not be the
>> best solution but it is on the right path.
>>
>> On Tue, May 5, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Paul Fishwick <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Robert
>>>  The state of the art, as it were, seems to be some code that exists in
>>> the
>>> Periscope extension of Simian (which is related to the libomv project).
>>> In
>>> that code, apparently, there is code that saves/loads using OAR.  There
>>> was also some discussion suggesting that the save/load OAR feature might
>>> be in the 0.7.0 release of libomv.
>>> -paul

>>> and
>>> waiting
>>> be
>>> Here
>>> and

>>> regarding
>>> move
>>> the
>>> some

>>> http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick<http://www.cise.ufl.edu/%7Efishwick>

>>> --
>>> Paul Fishwick, PhD
>>> Professor and Director, Digital Arts and Sciences Programs
>>> University of Florida
>>> Computer & Information Science and Eng. Dept.
>>> Bldg. CSE, Room 301
>>> P.O. Box 116120
>>> Gainesville, FL 32611
>>> Email: [hidden email]
>>> Phone: (352) 392-1414
>>> Fax: (352) 392-1220
>>> Web: http://www.cise.ufl.edu/~fishwick

>> --
>> ~Tristan

Re: transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim

Ralf Haifisch
Len,

does that mean you rebuild in opensim what you did build in SL ?

I will not get into the legal discussion again, we have articles about that
from time to time at maxping.org - from legal to content security.

Since the problems cover aspects already seen in the internet, I am just
wondering why nobody take the chance to start a solution for that as
service.  :-)

However, would it not be easier to use a tool to transfer stuff ?  if not
second inventory (the seem to be stuck, somehow.  The folder and nested prim
restore was promised for end 2008) - why not the libsl (aehm.. openmv)
testclient (aka copybot) ?

As long as you are the creator, I don´t even see any legal issues.
Scripts are basicly text-copy - so no big issue that you can´t export them
that way.

Cheers,
Ralf

Re: transitioning assets from Second Life to OpenSim

Len W. Brown
Ralf,

I see your point.  If I'm the creator of items inside SL then something like Second Inventory should suit me well.

But my own experiences attempting to copy things I've made out of SL, especially fairly complex ones, like buildings that are comprised of 1,000+ prims, a problem with drifting prims sometimes arises.  It's a bit disheartening to try to copy a whole building to find I basically have to go through the structure from top to bottom edging prims back into alignment.  It's almost less effort to simply rebuild from the ground up in OpenSim.

However, I do very much like the idea of using OpenSim as a sandbox and then importing my creations into SL.  I'm just still really shaky on the preservation of rights.  A couple attepts I made showed some odd behaviour with importing multi-prim items where the rights seemed to be preserved with the item but the individual pieces would not allow me to modify them once in SL due to no-mod being somehow set per prim.