what is the memory limit of notecards in OpenSim

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
11 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

what is the memory limit of notecards in OpenSim

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello,
Before I embark on a quest to store a fairly large amount of data in a notecard, was wondering
what is the memory limit of notecards in opensim.
I am planning to use osMakeNotecard.
p.s. Are there toolkits (scritps that can be enhanced/modified/combined) that can speed the setting up an online database to store the data (if notecards cannot do it).
Thanks
R

--
'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the memory limit of notecards in OpenSim

Storm Singer

Iirc notecards do have a finite memory limit, but I don't remember what it is. I remember there was a number of issues with using then for storage for scripts though. I came by this site the other day (I thought it was linked from here, but I couldn't find the conversation) and was bemused by it, but I haven't investigated it further; I am not sure it's the solution you're looking for, because it outlines a procedure to use some google-hosted API to store and retrieve code variables from OpenSim using web urls. But, if you'd like to take a look at it, perhaps it will spark an idea for an ideal solution for your uses.
http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2012/12/free-database-for-opensim-scripts/

Please let me know how it turns out, and what methods you do eventually use.

On Apr 16, 2013 10:30 AM, "Dr Ramesh Ramloll" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
Before I embark on a quest to store a fairly large amount of data in a notecard, was wondering
what is the memory limit of notecards in opensim.
I am planning to use osMakeNotecard.
p.s. Are there toolkits (scritps that can be enhanced/modified/combined) that can speed the setting up an online database to store the data (if notecards cannot do it).
Thanks
R

--
'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040" target="_blank">208-240-0040

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the memory limit of notecards in OpenSim

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Thanks storm, for the pointers, will check them out. 


On Tue, Apr 16, 2013 at 12:00 PM, Storm Singer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Iirc notecards do have a finite memory limit, but I don't remember what it is. I remember there was a number of issues with using then for storage for scripts though. I came by this site the other day (I thought it was linked from here, but I couldn't find the conversation) and was bemused by it, but I haven't investigated it further; I am not sure it's the solution you're looking for, because it outlines a procedure to use some google-hosted API to store and retrieve code variables from OpenSim using web urls. But, if you'd like to take a look at it, perhaps it will spark an idea for an ideal solution for your uses.
http://www.hypergridbusiness.com/2012/12/free-database-for-opensim-scripts/

Please let me know how it turns out, and what methods you do eventually use.

On Apr 16, 2013 10:30 AM, "Dr Ramesh Ramloll" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello,
Before I embark on a quest to store a fairly large amount of data in a notecard, was wondering
what is the memory limit of notecards in opensim.
I am planning to use osMakeNotecard.
p.s. Are there toolkits (scritps that can be enhanced/modified/combined) that can speed the setting up an online database to store the data (if notecards cannot do it).
Thanks
R

--
'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040" target="_blank">208-240-0040

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users



--
'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the memory limit of notecards in OpenSim

Jeff Kelley
In reply to this post by Dr Ramesh Ramloll
At 9:55 AM -0400 4/16/13, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:

>Are there toolkits (scritps that can be enhanced/modified/combined)
>that can speed
>the setting up an online database to store the data (if notecards
>cannot do it).

If you want to store files outside opensim:

Using llHTTPRequest, I could read a 1048576 bytes (1Mb) file. No
toolkit required.
However, you will hit script memory and time limits while processing
as much data.

With some PHP, you can also write files to a web server.

I dit not test for the maximum length of a notecard. I have some
about 50K. Depends on what you call "large". I would suggest trying
to create multiples of 64k and see when it fails. There's certainly a
limit at mySQL max_allowed_packet or below.


-- Jeff

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the memory limit of notecards in OpenSim

justincc
On 16/04/13 20:28, Jeff Kelley wrote:

> At 9:55 AM -0400 4/16/13, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>
>> Are there toolkits (scritps that can be enhanced/modified/combined) that can speed
>> the setting up an online database to store the data (if notecards cannot do it).
>
> If you want to store files outside opensim:
>
> Using llHTTPRequest, I could read a 1048576 bytes (1Mb) file. No toolkit required.
> However, you will hit script memory and time limits while processing as much data.
>
> With some PHP, you can also write files to a web server.
>
> I dit not test for the maximum length of a notecard. I have some about 50K. Depends on what you call "large". I would
> suggest trying to create multiples of 64k and see when it fails. There's certainly a limit at mySQL max_allowed_packet
> or below.

Yes, osMakeNotecard does not currently police a size limit, so the first limit you hit might be that of a MySQL blob.

However, as assets are immutable, then if you may be saving large files regularly then I would suggest doing it via an
external mechanism such as via llHTTPRequest to some external server as Jeff outlines.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the memory limit of notecards in OpenSim

R.Gunther
On 2013-04-16 22:31, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

> On 16/04/13 20:28, Jeff Kelley wrote:
>> At 9:55 AM -0400 4/16/13, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>>
>>> Are there toolkits (scritps that can be enhanced/modified/combined)
>>> that can speed
>>> the setting up an online database to store the data (if notecards
>>> cannot do it).
>>
>> If you want to store files outside opensim:
>>
>> Using llHTTPRequest, I could read a 1048576 bytes (1Mb) file. No
>> toolkit required.
>> However, you will hit script memory and time limits while processing
>> as much data.
>>
>> With some PHP, you can also write files to a web server.
>>
>> I dit not test for the maximum length of a notecard. I have some
>> about 50K. Depends on what you call "large". I would
>> suggest trying to create multiples of 64k and see when it fails.
>> There's certainly a limit at mySQL max_allowed_packet
>> or below.
>
> Yes, osMakeNotecard does not currently police a size limit, so the
> first limit you hit might be that of a MySQL blob.
>
> However, as assets are immutable, then if you may be saving large
> files regularly then I would suggest doing it via an external
> mechanism such as via llHTTPRequest to some external server as Jeff
> outlines.
>
The only problem with external mechanism. but thast also with large
blobs. the load time can be to high in case it would be used for
something realtime.
Is there anyway a extra delay implemented in opensim with http or is
there only the network delay ? that can be very low on local lan.
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the memory limit of notecards in OpenSim

Jeff Kelley
At 12:16 AM +0200 4/17/13, R.Gunther wrote:

>Is there anyway a extra delay implemented in opensim with http or
>is there only the network delay ? that can be very low on local lan.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlHTTPRequest

llHTTPRequest has no delay penalty.

However, you will mis a UI to present the data. Chatting the text is ugly.

Note that you can open a web page in the internal browser with llLoadURL.


-- Jeff


_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the memory limit of notecards in OpenSim

Jeff Kelley
In reply to this post by justincc
At 9:31 PM +0100 4/16/13, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:

>However, as assets are immutable, then if you may be saving large files
>regularly then I would suggest doing it via an external mechanism such
>as via llHTTPRequest to some external server as Jeff outlines.

I have dreams about mutable assets for scripts or notecards. That
would relieve the pain of updating. However, this is not a desirable
behavior in all circumstances and would be a radical departure from
the current design.

Since I script a lot, I regularly delete scripts (belonging to me)
AND NOT (in inventoryitems) AND NOT (in primitems). That's thousands
of assets killed.


-- Jeff

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the memory limit of notecards in OpenSim

justincc
On 17/04/13 11:05, Jeff Kelley wrote:

> At 9:31 PM +0100 4/16/13, Justin Clark-Casey wrote:
>
>> However, as assets are immutable, then if you may be saving large files
>> regularly then I would suggest doing it via an external mechanism such
>> as via llHTTPRequest to some external server as Jeff outlines.
>
> I have dreams about mutable assets for scripts or notecards. That would relieve the pain of updating. However, this is
> not a desirable behavior in all circumstances and would be a radical departure from the current design.
>
> Since I script a lot, I regularly delete scripts (belonging to me) AND NOT (in inventoryitems) AND NOT (in primitems).
> That's thousands of assets killed.

Yes, it would be great to be able to do something about this.  But as you say, this would be a radical departure from
the original design so would need considerable thought.

--
Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
OSVW Consulting
http://justincc.org
http://twitter.com/justincc
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the memory limit of notecards in OpenSim

Jessica Pixel
In reply to this post by Dr Ramesh Ramloll
SLDB is a pretty simple tool for sending info to a remote MySQL database.

http://aubretec.com/products/sldb

It can be a little touchy depending on the info you're sending out because it sends it as POST data to a PHP script.
-*-*-*-
Jessica Pixel
http://liftedpixel.net/pixelplanet
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: what is the memory limit of notecards in OpenSim

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Thanks Jessica. This looks interesting as well.


On Fri, Apr 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM, Jessica Pixel <[hidden email]> wrote:
SLDB is a pretty simple tool for sending info to a remote MySQL database.

http://aubretec.com/products/sldb

It can be a little touchy depending on the info you're sending out because
it sends it as POST data to a PHP script.



-----
http://liftedpixel.net/pixelplanet
--
View this message in context: http://opensim-users.2152040.n2.nabble.com/what-is-the-memory-limit-of-notecards-in-OpenSim-tp7579814p7579847.html
Sent from the opensim-users mailing list archive at Nabble.com.
_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users



--
'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040" target="_blank">208-240-0040

_______________________________________________
Opensim-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.berlios.de/mailman/listinfo/opensim-users