what is the quickest way to import an avatar into opensim?

what is the quickest way to import an avatar into opensim?

Dr Ramesh Ramloll
Hello there,
I was trying to find out what would be the quickest way to import an avatar into opensim. Is it true that Imprudence allows a whole avatar to be imported as an xml file and can be loaded in one go?
(This solution is Imprudence specific I guess)
What are other ways for a new user to acquire a new avatar preferably at a click? that preferably works regardless of viewers ...
I have for eg an object with everything needed for a new avatar, the new user can just click on it to see their avatar transform into a new one (did not try attachments so far, just body parts and clothes)
Is there any better ways anyone can recommend?
Regards

Rameshsharma Ramloll PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate Research Associate Professor, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040

Re: what is the quickest way to import an avatar into opensim?

Marcus Llewellyn
It's been a while since I've used it. But I believe Imprudence will only export shape values to an XML file. Body, default hair, eye and skin color are all exported, I think. Basically, the same sort of information you can get by saving an new-archetype.xml file from any viewer.

It will not export things like skin, clothing, eye, or other textures. It does not do attachments. These things must be applied separately.

I can't comment on other methods, but I'm certain other people can provide helpful suggestions on how to add new default avatars to the standard library or such.

Marcus

On 1/13/2013 4:50 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
[...]

dogwomble
I  assume the OP knows that Imprudence will only export items where you
are the creator of all parts.

In saying that you may be able to get away with placing all parts of the
avatar into a cube and then using Imprudence to export the cube. You can
then reimport into OpenSim and reassemvle the avatar.  I think theres a
limit to how many nested levels Imprudence can expirt but for simpler
avatars this might well offer a solution.

> It's been a while since I've used it. But I believe Imprudence will only
> export shape values to an XML file. Body, default hair, eye and skin
> color are all exported, I think. Basically, the same sort of information
> you can get by saving an new-archetype.xml file from any viewer.
>
> It will not export things like skin, clothing, eye, or other textures.
> It does not do attachments. These things must be applied separately.
>
> I can't comment on other methods, but I'm certain other people can
> provide helpful suggestions on how to add new default avatars to the
> standard library or such.
>
> Marcus
>
> On 1/13/2013 4:50 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>> Hello there,
>> I was trying to find out what would be the quickest way to import an
>> avatar into opensim. Is it true that Imprudence allows a whole avatar
>> to be imported as an xml file and can be loaded in one go?
>> (This solution is Imprudence specific I guess)
>> What are other ways for a new user to acquire a new avatar preferably
>> at a click? that preferably works regardless of viewers ...
>> I have for eg an object with everything needed for a new avatar, the
>> new user can just click on it to see their avatar transform into a new
>> one (did not try attachments so far, just body parts and clothes)
>> Is there any better ways anyone can recommend?
>> Regards
>>

>> --
>> 'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
>> *Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
>> /Research Associate Professor/, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
>> 83209 Tel: 208-240-0040
>> Blog <http://deepsemaphore.posterous.com/>, LinkedIn
>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>, DeepSemaphore LLC
>> <http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, Google+ profile
>> <https://plus.google.com/103652369558830540272/about>

Re: what is the quickest way to import an avatar into opensim?

Fleep Tuque
Actually, as far as I know, Imprudence does not export the contents of any prim, it only exports the shape/linkset and textures, and only if you are the creator and owner of both.  This makes it much less useful in general since any scripted items or packaged items can't be exported with Imprudence - you only get the container prim, not any of the things inside it.

(Which is one of the reasons I keep hoping someone will come up with a solution to import IAR files without requiring console access - IAR is the only format I know of that preserves any type of item and the contents inside prims.)

So to the original question, if you are trying to export an avatar from Second Life to an Opensim grid, good luck.  There is no easy one-shot way to do it - you can export the avatar shape with Imprudence (if you have full permissions to the shape), you can export the various attachments with Imprudence (if you are the creator of all the textures, and the attachments aren't scripted, and you have full permissions to all the components), etc. but you can't export the whole avatar easily.  Clothing, unless you created the original textures, I think you're out of luck.  If you created the textures, then you'll have to re-create the clothing item in Opensim and then upload the texture and re-create the textured/sculpted clothing items.

If you are trying to export an avatar from one Opensim grid to another, and you have console access, then it is fairly simple.  Put all the components of your avatar into a single folder in your inventory, then on the console export that folder out as an IAR file.  Then re-import the IAR into your new grid and voila, all your avatar components are there.

You could also do something similar with OAR files, again if you have console access.  Box up all the components of the avatar and plop the box down on a region, then export an OAR file of the region and re-import into your new grid and the box will be there with all the components.

For more information about the various export/import options of these file types, see:

Sincerely,

- Chris/Fleep

Chris M. Collins (SL/OS: Fleep Tuque)
Center for Simulations & Virtual Environments Research (UCSIM)
UCIT Instructional & Research Computing
University of Cincinnati
406A Zimmer Hall
315 College Drive
PO BOX 210088
Cincinnati, OH 45221-0088
(513) 556-3018

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 12:48 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
I  assume the OP knows that Imprudence will only export items where you
are the creator of all parts.

In saying that you may be able to get away with placing all parts of the
avatar into a cube and then using Imprudence to export the cube. You can
then reimport into OpenSim and reassemvle the avatar.  I think theres a
limit to how many nested levels Imprudence can expirt but for simpler
avatars this might well offer a solution.

> It's been a while since I've used it. But I believe Imprudence will only
> export shape values to an XML file. Body, default hair, eye and skin
> color are all exported, I think. Basically, the same sort of information
> you can get by saving an new-archetype.xml file from any viewer.
>
> It will not export things like skin, clothing, eye, or other textures.
> It does not do attachments. These things must be applied separately.
>
> I can't comment on other methods, but I'm certain other people can
> provide helpful suggestions on how to add new default avatars to the
> standard library or such.
>
> Marcus
>
> On 1/13/2013 4:50 PM, Dr Ramesh Ramloll wrote:
>> Hello there,
>> I was trying to find out what would be the quickest way to import an
>> avatar into opensim. Is it true that Imprudence allows a whole avatar
>> to be imported as an xml file and can be loaded in one go?
>> (This solution is Imprudence specific I guess)
>> What are other ways for a new user to acquire a new avatar preferably
>> at a click? that preferably works regardless of viewers ...
>> I have for eg an object with everything needed for a new avatar, the
>> new user can just click on it to see their avatar transform into a new
>> one (did not try attachments so far, just body parts and clothes)
>> Is there any better ways anyone can recommend?
>> Regards
>>

>> --
>> 'Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin.'
>> *Rameshsharma Ramloll* PhD, CEO CTO DeepSemaphore LLC, Affiliate
>> /Research Associate Professor/, Idaho State University, Pocatello, ID
>> 83209 Tel: <a href="tel:208-240-0040" value="+12082400040">208-240-0040
>> Blog <http://deepsemaphore.posterous.com/>, LinkedIn
>> <http://www.linkedin.com/in/rameshramloll>, DeepSemaphore LLC
>> <http://www.deepsemaphore.com>, Google+ profile
>> <https://plus.google.com/103652369558830540272/about>

Re: what is the quickest way to import an avatar into opensim?

Kay McLennan
[(Re:  Fleep's hope below...) I have one more avatar related wish list item...]  I am in search of (or rather waiting for) pre-rigged mesh avatar sets.  That is, sets of pre-rigged avatars for young students, college students, business folks, etc.  The "all in one" mesh avatars (that do not allow one to take off any clothes items) makes the most sense for those of us using virtual worlds for educational and business purposes.

Note:  There are a lot of unrigged mesh avatars on the Archive3D (at http://archive3d.net/) and even detailed instructions for how to rigg an avatar using Blender (at http://blog.machinimatrix.org/3d-creation/blender-meshes-trail/rigg-your-avatar/) but I am currently bogged down in the Blender software interface.  [Still, I only spent part of one afternoon last week trying to rigg an avatar (unsuccessfully) -- so I may figure it out with a bit more (or rather, a lot more) effort!]

Again, FYI, my avatar wish list item -- sets of pre-rigged [conservative appearance] avatars.  Fingers crossed!

--Kay McLennan

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 5:59 AM, Fleep Tuque <[hidden email]> wrote:

(Which is one of the reasons I keep hoping someone will come up with a solution to import IAR files without requiring console access - IAR is the only format I know of that preserves any type of item and the contents inside prims.)

Re: what is the quickest way to import an avatar into opensim?

Robert L martin
as far as doing rigged avatars is concerned MakeHuman i think would be the best way to set things up. In fact i requested that they include sl rigging and proper DAE export (SL uses nonstandard axis facing).

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 7:21 AM, Kay McLennan <[hidden email]> wrote:
[(Re:  Fleep's hope below...) I have one more avatar related wish list item...]  I am in search of (or rather waiting for) pre-rigged mesh avatar sets.  That is, sets of pre-rigged avatars for young students, college students, business folks, etc.  The "all in one" mesh avatars (that do not allow one to take off any clothes items) makes the most sense for those of us using virtual worlds for educational and business purposes.

--Kay McLennan

Robert L Martin

Re: what is the quickest way to import an avatar into opensim?

paul emery
This might be of some help. I am told that it is the xml file you are referencing
http://opensimulator.org/wiki/Appearance_Formats
and for reference the attachment points
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/LlAttachToAvatar