www.opensimworlds.com

Ai Austin
Hi, does anyone know who runs the Opensim Worlds web pages at
http://www.opensimworlds.com/

I would like to ask the web site maintainer to change the TWO
separate entries they have for the OpenVCE OAR file to a single one,
and change the download URL for the v1 link they have there now just
to the stable link which is:

http://openvce.net/resources/downloads/opensim-openvce.oar

This URL will maintained as the latest version 9currently the same as v3).

Re: www.opensimworlds.com

jeff1564
here you can find some cool stuff too.

http://myopensim.com/index.php?page=Assets&action=Category&categoryid=8&catname=OAR%20Files

Re: www.opensimworlds.com

Robert Klein
I downloaded the oar file from the link below and loaded the oar. The only thing I see is a platform in the middle of the region with a couple of content boxes but there are not any buildings. Was there supposed to be buildings with this oar?

-Robert

Ai Austin wrote
Hi, does anyone know who runs the Opensim Worlds web pages at
http://www.opensimworlds.com/

I would like to ask the web site maintainer to change the TWO
separate entries they have for the OpenVCE OAR file to a single one,
and change the download URL for the v1 link they have there now just
to the stable link which is:

http://openvce.net/resources/downloads/opensim-openvce.oar

This URL will maintained as the latest version 9currently the same as v3).

Re: www.opensimworlds.com

mbrose
Hi

I downloaded the file and also integrated into the simulator. With me all the buildings, the platform and several boxes are in the process.
It all works well. As in the illustrations

Erwin

--

----- Original-Nachricht-----
> Hi, does anyone know who runs the Opensim Worlds web pages at
> http://www.opensimworlds.com/
>
> I would like to ask the web site maintainer to change the TWO
> separate entries they have for the OpenVCE OAR file to a single one,
> and change the download URL for the v1 link they have there now just
> to the stable link which is:
>
> http://openvce.net/resources/downloads/opensim-openvce.oar
>
> This URL will maintained as the latest version 9currently the same as v3).

Re: www.opensimworlds.com

Karen_Palen
I also had no problems, however there is enough data there that it took almost 20 minutes to display everything!

MySql was busy even after everything was visible and I could see the contents. I assume it was some sort of internal optimization.

Karen

> I downloaded the file and also integrated into the
> simulator. With me all the buildings, the platform and
> several boxes are in the process.
> It all works well. As in the illustrations
>
> Erwin
>

> --
>
> I downloaded the oar file from the link below and loaded
> the oar. The only
> thing I see is a platform in the middle of the region with
> a couple of
> content boxes but there are not any buildings. Was there
> supposed to be
> buildings with this oar?
>
> -Robert
>

> Ai Austin wrote:
> >

> ----- Original-Nachricht-----

Re: www.opensimworlds.com

Robert Klein
Hmm, when I load the oar file mono suddenly pegs my CPU out at 99% and it stays there until I kill the process. I can't even type any console commands. No buildings appear. I have not had this issue with any other oar file. I am running OS 0.6.4 which has always been very stable for me. Can there be an incompatibility in the OAR support?

-Robert

Karen Palen wrote
I also had no problems, however there is enough data there that it took almost 20 minutes to display everything!

MySql was busy even after everything was visible and I could see the contents. I assume it was some sort of internal optimization.

Karen

> I downloaded the file and also integrated into the
> simulator. With me all the buildings, the platform and
> several boxes are in the process.
> It all works well. As in the illustrations
>
> Erwin
>

> --
>
> I downloaded the oar file from the link below and loaded
> the oar. The only
> thing I see is a platform in the middle of the region with
> a couple of
> content boxes but there are not any buildings. Was there
> supposed to be
> buildings with this oar?
>
> -Robert
>

> Ai Austin wrote:
> >

> ----- Original-Nachricht-----

Re: www.opensimworlds.com

justincc
Robert Klein wrote:
> Hmm, when I load the oar file mono suddenly pegs my CPU out at 99% and it
> stays there until I kill the process. I can't even type any console
> commands. No buildings appear. I have not had this issue with any other oar
> file. I am running OS 0.6.4 which has always been very stable for me. Can
> there be an incompatibility in the OAR support?

If other OARs are still working for you then this is unlikely but it's not
completely impossible.

The OAR loads fine for me too in 0.6.8 and master.

> -Robert
>

> Karen Palen wrote:
>> I also had no problems, however there is enough data there that it took
>> almost 20 minutes to display everything!
>>
>> MySql was busy even after everything was visible and I could see the
>> contents. I assume it was some sort of internal optimization.
>>
>> Karen

Re: www.opensimworlds.com

Ai Austin
At 20:37 02/12/2009, "[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >> I downloaded the oar file from the link below and loaded the oar. The only
> >> thing I see is a platform in the middle of the region with a couple of
> >> content boxes but there are not any buildings. Was there supposed to be
> >> buildings with this oar?

Yes Robert.  See illustration of what you should get at
http://openvce.net/resources/downloads/opensim-openvce-2.jpg

Re: www.opensimworlds.com

Karen_Palen
That is about what I got, plus a couple of boxes full of objects and textures on the platform.

Look at it as building blocks for a new sim - there is a lot of stuff hidden around there!

Karen

> and loaded the oar. The only
> the region with a couple of
> buildings. Was there supposed to be
>

> Yes Robert.  See illustration of what you should get
> at
> http://openvce.net/resources/downloads/opensim-openvce-2.jpg

Re: www.opensimworlds.com

Robert Klein
*sigh* I guess it will not load as is in 0.6.4 then. I may try loading it in a test 0.6.8 then re-oar it out with just the buildings. All I really need are those buildings! :)

-Robert

Karen Palen wrote

Robert Klein <[hidden email]> wrote:
>*sigh* I guess it will not load as is in 0.6.4 then. I may try loading it in
>a test 0.6.8 then re-oar it out with just the buildings. All I really need
>are those buildings! :)

Robert, the OpenVCE assets OAR was built on 0.6.5.1 via a region on
New World Grid.

Karen Palen <[hidden email]> write:
>That is about what I got, plus a couple of boxes full of objects and
>textures on the platform.
>
>Look at it as building blocks for a new sim - there is a lot of
>stuff hidden around there!

Karen, I assume you mean that in a good way... and are not referring
to things we have left as clutter underground?  We did tidy up a few
lost items from the builds that had shot up to 768m as is common!

Here is a bit more information for those interested in the assets...
http://openvce.net/vwassets

The main buildings are rezzed ready to copy on the region using a
smallish number of elements for the main buildings where necessary
(we found that better than trying to do auto-rezzing using builders
buddy just now), and in the boxes are textures, orientation signs,
landscaping elements.  A few other useful things like flags of the
worlds, and two buildings from other open source developers that we
have found useful on our education and collaboration sims are on a
rack near the central plaza. Also included is a "freeview" screen
using the usual open source Second Life script (version 1.2) but
modifed by us and other open source developers to add YouTube url
mapping, and fix a problem with media type setting in the original
script in recent versions of the SL viewer.

We assume people will take into inventory the buildings they want to
use for classrooms, meeting spaces, brain storming rooms, operations
centres and what not, and then build their own layout as they find it
most helpful.  The buildings are designed to be reskinned and
coloured very easily.

Note other element will be coming from the OpenVCE.net community
including new presentation screens that allow for web based upload of
PDF presentation, zipped sets of images, etc. We expect those also to
work in Opensim when released.

We thanks those in the Opensim community who have already contributed
and assisted us, and encourage anyone interested to join in and
contribute to the OpenVCE.net community via http://openvce.net -
although its initial focus is to support collaboration between
emergency responders, it is set up to allow other communities to eb
supported, and the whole Drupal based web and virtual web side to be
replicated and hosted by new communities.

Re: www.opensimworlds.com

Karen_Palen
Ai,

>Karen, I assume you mean that in a good way... and are not referring
>to things we have left as clutter underground?

Yes indeed I DID mean that in a good way - you have put together a lot of good resources here!

The buildings themselves are only the obvious portion, the rack of stuff, the screen, and the overall structure of stuff is not obvious at first glance but are very potentially useful.

I am building a private role play sim so the education/seminar part does not directly help me. It will all be useful t some point though, I just need to figure out where it fits!

I have not seen anything out of place that my setup didn't put there (I am chasing what could be a prim edit bug or a local resource problem).

I did have a problem when I loaded the oar into region 4 of a 4 region mega sim, Everything in a mega sim needs to be loaded into region 1 - the SW most region, but the local coordinates can be greater than 256X ,256Y. I did not understand that and it gave some strange results.

Karen

> [...]
> community
> including new presentation screens that allow for web based
> upload of
> PDF presentation, zipped sets of images, etc. We expect
> those also to
> work in Opensim when released.
>
> We thanks those in the Opensim community who have already
> contributed
> and assisted us, and encourage anyone interested to join in
> and
> contribute to the OpenVCE.net community via http://openvce.net -
> although its initial focus is to support collaboration
> between
> emergency responders, it is set up to allow other
> communities to eb
> supported, and the whole Drupal based web and virtual web
> side to be
> replicated and hosted by new communities.

Hey AI thanks for the wonderful content and it is really helping to expedite my training and education area.

I did find the overwhelming load culprit though. It is the building with the video screens. There are a number of chairs positioned all thoughout the building and each one has a script. The sim registers somewhere around 450 scripts associated with just that building. I can't imagine having that many avatars sitting in one building! LOL  I deleted that building and re-oared the region, my load oar went from just under 2 hours to just over 4 minutes!

I think this is a valuable lesson on oar sharing. When I design online training content I try to shoot for the LCD (lowest common denominator) or there abouts so people with less awesome machines (laptops, netbooks, and older computers) can still enjoy using the content. We might want to consider this when sharing oars and particularly if we are going to start adopting megaregions.

So keep the great content coming and maybe keep the number of chairs on a region to under 50 until we can all get 16 core 32gb totally awesome servers! Ha ha ha...

-Robert

Karen Palen wrote
Ai,

> [...]

> community
> including new presentation screens that allow for web based
> upload of
> PDF presentation, zipped sets of images, etc. We expect
> those also to
> work in Opensim when released.
>
> We thanks those in the Opensim community who have already
> contributed
> and assisted us, and encourage anyone interested to join in
> and
> contribute to the OpenVCE.net community via http://openvce.net -
> although its initial focus is to support collaboration
> between
> emergency responders, it is set up to allow other
> communities to eb
> supported, and the whole Drupal based web and virtual web
> side to be
> replicated and hosted by new communities.

Hmm, looks like I am still having some trouble getting this oar into my 0.6.4 server. I get these errors when I do a load oar:
20:12:01 - found unexpected element: GroupScriptStates
20:12:01 - found unexpected element: SavedScriptState
20:12:01 - found unexpected element: ScriptState
20:12:01 - found unexpected element: State

The console just locks up and nothing else happens. Any ideas what can be done about this?

-Robert

Robert Klein wrote
> [...]

> community
> including new presentation screens that allow for web based
> upload of
> PDF presentation, zipped sets of images, etc. We expect
> those also to
> work in Opensim when released.
>
> We thanks those in the Opensim community who have already
> contributed
> and assisted us, and encourage anyone interested to join in
> and
> contribute to the OpenVCE.net community via http://openvce.net -
> although its initial focus is to support collaboration
> between
> emergency responders, it is set up to allow other
> communities to eb
> supported, and the whole Drupal based web and virtual web
> side to be
> replicated and hosted by new communities.

Noted Robert.

The large amphitheatre in the NW corner is actually designed to span
4 sims, and in our Second Life setup can support up to 320 avatars,
hence the seats, and some hidden seats under the stage of the "small"
quarter sized Amphitheatre.  its designed to use one sim, or add 1,2
or 3 more, with just moving one partition and stage to make all work.

Each sculptured object seat has a sit target and amend camera angle
script in it.

We will make another OAR of a more reasonable "selection" of the
buildings we use in practice - which will be a simplified version of
the Second Life VCE region.  It will be more like a "collaboration
island" ready to go.

Can someone else help Karen and Robert with the mega-regions loading
positions and "found unexpected element" questions?

Re: www.opensimworlds.com

Robert Klein wrote:
> Hmm, looks like I am still having some trouble getting this oar into my 0.6.4
> server. I get these errors when I do a load oar:
> 20:12:01 - found unexpected element: GroupScriptStates
> 20:12:01 - found unexpected element: SavedScriptState
> 20:12:01 - found unexpected element: ScriptState
> 20:12:01 - found unexpected element: State
>
> The console just locks up and nothing else happens. Any ideas what can be
> done about this?

I believe that GroupScriptStates, SavedScriptState etc. are XML elements used in
serializing a script's state that were introduced after OpenSim 0.6.4.  The OAR
format itself hasn't changed but the format of the serialized XML for a scene
object has.

Normally I would expect the extra elements to be ignored on deserialization but
it looks like this is not happening for some reason and causing the lockup.

I'm going to try and devote some thought to making sure that this doesn't happen
with future versions of OpenSim.  But for now, Robert, I would have to recommend
that you upgrade to OpenSim 0.6.5.1 or later.  An alternative would be to
manually remove the unexpected XML elements from each sog (and sog asset)
serialization.

Ai Austin wrote:

> Noted Robert.
>
> The large amphitheatre in the NW corner is actually designed to span
> 4 sims, and in our Second Life setup can support up to 320 avatars,
> hence the seats, and some hidden seats under the stage of the "small"
> quarter sized Amphitheatre.  its designed to use one sim, or add 1,2
> or 3 more, with just moving one partition and stage to make all work.
>
> Each sculptured object seat has a sit target and amend camera angle
> script in it.
>
> We will make another OAR of a more reasonable "selection" of the
> buildings we use in practice - which will be a simplified version of
> the Second Life VCE region.  It will be more like a "collaboration
> island" ready to go.
>
> Can someone else help Karen and Robert with the mega-regions loading
> positions and "found unexpected element" questions?

The mega-regions import is a known problem.  Diva has some notes on the way she
does this at

http://www.metaverseink.com/blog/?p=28

I plan to take a look at the problem myself some time soon-ish but I expect that
the solution is pretty non-trivial since fine minds have already looked at it
without coming up with an easy fix.

I've already replied to Robert's problem directly.

Re: www.opensimworlds.com

Karen_Palen
As far as I am concerned the problem was entirely on eod not realizing how mega-regions work!

Possibly there could be some sort of OAR modification to address this issue, but it certainly is not due to any deficiency in any one OAR file!

Karen

> > The large amphitheatre in the NW corner is actually
> designed to span
> > 4 sims, and in our Second Life setup can support up to
> 320 avatars,
> > hence the seats, and some hidden seats under the stage
> of the "small"
> > quarter sized Amphitheatre.  its designed to use
> one sim, or add 1,2
> > or 3 more, with just moving one partition and stage to
> make all work.
> >
> > Each sculptured object seat has a sit target and amend
> camera angle
> > script in it.
> >
> > We will make another OAR of a more reasonable
> "selection" of the
> > buildings we use in practice - which will be a
> simplified version of
> > the Second Life VCE region.  It will be more like
> a "collaboration
> > island" ready to go.
> >
> > Can someone else help Karen and Robert with the
> mega-regions loading
> > positions and "found unexpected element" questions?
>
> The mega-regions import is a known problem.  Diva has
> some notes on the way she
> does this at
>
> http://www.metaverseink.com/blog/?p=28
>
> I plan to take a look at the problem myself some time
> soon-ish but I expect that
> the solution is pretty non-trivial since fine minds have
> already looked at it
> without coming up with an easy fix.
>
> I've already replied to Robert's problem directly.
>
> --
> Justin Clark-Casey (justincc)
> http://justincc.org
> http://twitter.com/justincc

Re: www.opensimworlds.com

Ai Austin
I want to note the truly excellent cooperation in the Opensim
community in addressing the issues users have had and have reported
or raised in this recent thread... everyone involved weighed in with
their own level of experience and knowledge to help others...  truly
astounding folks.  The very essence of the sharing worldwide
community open source developers and users.  Proud to play a small
part in this extremely worthwhile effort.  Very best wishes, and have
a great weekend everyone.  Ai (and Austin)

P.S. we have entered the I-Room technology for the 2010 Linden Prize
if anyone wants to see what we really work on in Opensim (and SL)...
        http://openvce.net/2010-linden-prize-iroom